Should I root?

tbever

Reaction score
If I root/unlock but stay with the stock rom, will updates still come automatically ie OTA?

What about if I install a custom Rom? I rooted OG and Rom'd several, and it did not update automatically which was fine by me.

wil318466

Reaction score
There are always the same questions about rooting. It's ridiculously easy, if you can read, you can root. There are no disadvantages to rooting, only advantages. There is very little chance to brick, in fact I'm unsure if anyone has ever really truly bricked a phone. I know I haven't and I've flashed my phone at least 50 times, counting my last phone. Hell, I flashed my GNEX at least 15 times since I bought it a few weeks ago.

The only issue I can see is if you don't want to spend an hour or two to read up or actually do things with your phone. Some people don't like messing with their devices, but I love it.

Creed

Reaction score
If I root/unlock but stay with the stock rom, will updates still come automatically ie OTA?

What about if I install a custom Rom? I rooted OG and Rom'd several, and it did not update automatically which was fine by me.

If you only rooted and unlocked the phone but it is still on the stock rom you WILL get OTA updates. If you install a custom ROM than not so much.

Creed

Reaction score
There are always the same questions about rooting. It's ridiculously easy, if you can read, you can root. There are no disadvantages to rooting, only advantages. There is very little chance to brick, in fact I'm unsure if anyone has ever really truly bricked a phone. I know I haven't and I've flashed my phone at least 50 times, counting my last phone. Hell, I flashed my GNEX at least 15 times since I bought it a few weeks ago.

The only issue I can see is if you don't want to spend an hour or two to read up or actually do things with your phone. Some people don't like messing with their devices, but I love it.

If you aren't someone who is going to want to constantly flash sometimes it is better to stay unrooted/unlocked because it does void your warranty. I did it because I knew for me it would be worth it but for some,ROMs are pretty much out of the question and unrooting can be difficult and brick inducing if done incorrectly. So there are downsides to rooting for the less technologically inclined. (Chances are if you have a Nexus and are on these forums, however, rooting is harmless!)

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I think it is certainly good to get it done and out of the way early on, as it will require a wipe of all your apps during the root-bootloader unlock process. I went ahead and rooted and installed CWM recovery while retaining Stock 4.0.2. I also installed this Kernel: [KERNEL][4.0.2][ICL53F] ⇒☆Jame Bond☆ cpu/gpu overclock + UV v1.0.2 - xda-developers

With it, I was able to OC to 1.35GHz (not really necessary), but also drastically undervolt my phone and get much improved battery life. Standby drainage is really small (4-6% over 9 hours). Between the extra battery life, and being able to wirelessly tether for free, there seems little reason not to root :)

This is awesome! No wipe needed for just throwing a better kernel on!

prkrastn8

Reaction score
How do you tether without root?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'll wait until 4.0.3 comes out so i don't have to go through the hassle twice.. thanks for the help! :)

No problem.

Just to let you know a leaked 4.0.3 radio has been released already, though I think it only applies to rooted users. I saw the thread somewhere on this board, I believe "Wicked" started it.

rdubb

Reaction score
I bought the Galaxy Nexus because of the great screen, good hardware and most importantly because I knew it would be priority and that they would keep it updated and for a long time.

I have had the OG Droid, and the HTC Incredible both for long periods of time, and the Bionic briefly. I have never rooted a phone.

After having the GNex for a couple weeks, I really like it, but all I hear is that the main reason to own a GNex is to root it and all the dev support. This is making me want to root.

I dont want to risk bricking the phone, but it seems that there is so many options and ways to really customize it that I am getting tempted to do it. What do you guys think? Is there enough upside? Do the available roms make the device that much better than all the competition that I should go ahead and do it?

If so, what is the best way to go about it, and what Roms should I consider to get the best features?

check this out [Odin] ROM Dark AOSP 4.0.3 (updated 12/26)

ryguy5254

Reaction score
I have my GNex unlocked and rooted. I have a few questions though.

I've heard of Ad Blocker for rooted GNex, is it available in the market? Or do I have to side load it? What is the actual name of it so I can get it.

I've only unlocked and rooted my phone, is there a way to do a "Nandroid" back up? Iirc, it backs up your entire phone just in case of bricking, and then if there is a problem you can just 'load' the nandroid back up. Is that correct?

I'm going to try and read up more on it, but replies would be appreciated. I have Titanium Backup, and if I understood how it works, it only backs up your downloaded apps.

DjSmooth

Reaction score
I use adfree from the market,it works great.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

nleksan

Reaction score
Ugh I am SO ON THE FENCE ABOUT ROOTING! Argh!

I really want to be able to use all of the "Root-Only" apps, from SetCPU to TitaniumBackup+, but at the same time I have now had my phone for three weeks(ish) and really don't wanna lose everything I've gotten "customized to my tastes"... :/

If I were to root, I would keep the stock ROM and all that, as I really like ICS... I just want to make it a wee bit better.

Plus, I'm already such a tinkerer, once I root this phone, I'm going to root everyone in my family's phones, then my girlfriend's and her family's, then random strangers... lol ;)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Losing customizations....exactly why I rooted 3 days after purchase. Figure I'd take stock for a test run and liked it, but needed better battery life.

Yes when unlocking and rooting the Nexus you'll do a factory reset, but that's half the fun of android. Rearranging everything again, and you may even find a set up you'll like better, I know I did.:)