Am I wrong for thinking this?

RVC

Reaction score
I really want to get the Nexus, and I have an upgrade available since April plus a $50 credit. But I am concerned that I will not be able to get the phone set up perfectly like my TB due to the lack of an SD card slot. I have plugged my phone into my macbook and looked at the folders on my SD but there are so many I do not know which ones to move to the new phone when the time comes. If I move the titanium folder will I be able to backup once I root the phone? Is there any folders I could move that could cause problems? I have really been looking at the Rezound just for this reason, even though I want the GN. I am no phone hacker.....I have rooted a few but not sure about this. What do you guys think? Thanks for the input and take it easy.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Buy MyBackupPro, it does a good job of backing everything up and restoring it.

Of course nothing is perfect and you will have to set up things like email and preferences again. No way around it.

OP
RVC

RVC

Reaction score
I currently use Titanium Backup Pro. But don't the backups come from the SD card?

stragabenz

Reaction score
I currently use Titanium Backup Pro. But don't the backups come from the SD card?

They sure do! copy the contents from the SD to your computer, then when you get that shiny new Galaxy Nexus just plug it in your comp and copy the contents.

mightybrick

Reaction score
I'm not sure how much you'll want to restore anyways. I'll bet there are many changes from Gingerbread 2.3 to ICS 4.0 which *could* cause some nasty conflicts when trying to restore data from one to the other. Just something to think about.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, chances are you are going to run into many conflicts if you try to just copy over from gingerbread to ICS.

I wouldn't risk it, you're going to want to change so much with ICS anyways, I don't see the point.

OP
RVC

RVC

Reaction score
I'm not sure how much you'll want to restore anyways. I'll bet there are many changes from Gingerbread 2.3 to ICS 4.0 which *could* cause some nasty conflicts when trying to restore data from one to the other. Just something to think about.

Good point, I never thought of that. But my concern is my apps and the data that goes with them.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Remember apps will most likely have to be modified as well.

It's an extreme example, but it's like taking a hard drive using windows XP and putting it into a computer with windows 7, just isn't going to work.

OP
RVC

RVC

Reaction score
Remember apps will most likely have to be modified as well.

It's an extreme example, but it's like taking a hard drive using windows XP and putting it into a computer with windows 7, just isn't going to work.

Yeah you are probably right....it just sucks that I will most likely have to start over. My next question....my apps all worked when I went from Froyo to GB. Is this different?

mightybrick

Reaction score
Yeah you are probably right....it just sucks that I will most likely have to start over. My next question....my apps all worked when I went from Froyo to GB. Is this different?

Yes. Froyo and Gingerbread were quite similiar. There are many more differences from GB to ICS. Some individual app data may be able to be restored safely, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I think a much better experience will be had by starting fresh with ICS. I suppose if you really want to know, you could ask P3Droid, as he has a Galaxy Nexus right now. He is @P3Droid on twitter.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Agreed.

Start fresh with 4.0 and not only will you be more familiar with how everything works, but you'll probably end up doing a few things you may not have known were possible by just copying over your past setup.

I'm actually excited to jump into ICS and building a new UI for myself. Had the OG for 2 years, it's time I switch things up a bit =P

jkliving92

Reaction score
you have exceptions but even restoring apps and data when changing ROMs which is gingerbread to gingerbread youre more than likely going to have issues. you might get by restoring apps but you never restore data. this is why data wipes are a process of flashing roms. if you want to restore your apps and such on ICS then go ahead, but chances are youll just create a lot of hassle and end up having to start all over if you cant stop the FCs. suck it up and start new if you want to upgrade so bad. honestly when i get a new phone im looking for an excuse to be on that sucker. and you can backup your apps and data to dropbox using titanium so you dont need an sd card to get them on the nexus.

Last edited:

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
For me the sync to Dropbox is extremely long and usually times out before completing. Is an 800mb backup normal? I never found an option to select individual files.

The pain Xoom owners felt with incompatible apps should be eased for ICS. I think that apps updated to Honeycomb should be fine with ICS. But you won't have those backups if coming from GB.

When restoring from TB I usually restore apps as needed to check stability. I often find I don't restore half of apps before I am wiping and installing something new, so Batch restores are avoided like plague.

If you really need to access the SD card get the Motorola camera connectivity kit and access SD card from phone, or as many others stated, copy TB folder to computer.

Last edited:

DHO

Reaction score
If you have to restore data for a couple games, TB is the way to go. Otherwise a a fresh start is best.

OP
RVC

RVC

Reaction score
Well looks like I'm starting from scratch! Thanks for the advise.