Thinking about rooting the Galaxy Nexus......

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Depends on the device. Not all phones overclock the same, and not all phones will handle the lower voltage. Its trial and error... On the other hand, I have yet to see any need to Overclock the Nexus, 1.2ghz dual core is faster then it needs to be... Down the road I can see the use, but for now you would probably be better off running LV and lowering your core clock to around 1.0ghz. There is no point in overclocking with LV just to gain battery, if you want performance I can understand. But like I said before, it makes no sense to try and over clock something that isn't being pushed to its full potential yet.

TBH, the OP should probably do more research before he attempts anything. This is just my opinion, but I think you would benefit greatly from learning Android, before you just brick your phone and then come back asking us how to fix it a ton of times. Gain the knowledge, then apply it.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont understand why people are saying we cant overclock and get lower voltages?
voltages.PNG

the overclocked freq voltage is lower than the 920 freq. So we ARE increasing clock speed and decreasing voltage.

I know we're not looking at a "guide" for what voltages to expect with what clocks...

If you've overclocked at all, which I'm assuming you have, then you very well know that no chip is the same and expecting to use voltage settings from a chart is bound to doom your attempts.

I'm sure there will be a few chips that are capable of running 1.5 at a lower voltage than 1.2, there's always those cherry chips, but in the real world, most people aren't going to be achieving said results.

Overclocking almost always results in increasing the voltage. Remember their Stock voltages are the minimum they could possibly use to attain standard testing stability, which means as soon as you bump up from 1.2 you're in uncharted territories for their current voltage settings.

jpin321

Reaction score
I was reading this and decided i wanted some clarification as well. Im no expert nor do i claim to be. But i ran ultra low voltage kernels on my og at more than double the stock clock speed 1.25Ghz stable for almost a year. The low voltage helped keep heat down and kept me from burning through battery life so fast. So im kindof confused reading this.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Snow02

Reaction score
I know we're not looking at a "guide" for what voltages to expect with what clocks...

If you've overclocked at all, which I'm assuming you have, then you very well know that no chip is the same and expecting to use voltage settings from a chart is bound to doom your attempts.

I'm sure there will be a few chips that are capable of running 1.5 at a lower voltage than 1.2, there's always those cherry chips, but in the real world, most people aren't going to be achieving said results.

Overclocking almost always results in increasing the voltage. Remember their Stock voltages are the minimum they could possibly use to attain standard testing stability, which means as soon as you bump up from 1.2 you're in uncharted territories for their current voltage settings.

Not necessarily on arm chips, using stock voltages as a reference. Manufacturers have pretty much always set stock voltages way higher than necessary for the vast majority of chips, allowing most people to both drop voltage and increase clock speeds. The stock voltages are the minimum for the absolute worst performing chips, then likely bumped a bit for headroom.

NewAge

XOOM Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

That's no guide for "what voltages to expect with what clocks", that is a table provided by the creator of the kernel, Fabolous: [KERNEL][GSM/CDMA][IML74K] Apex Kernel V4 (12/23/11) - Charging Fixed - RootzWiki

On the three Android devices I have overclocked yes voltage usually needed to be increased with an increase in freq (almost always). But with the Gnex the voltages are way too high.

And I DON'T think that there will be phones that can run @1.5. Unless we get a new DPLL.

Snow02

Reaction score
That's no guide for "what voltages to expect with what clocks", that is a table provided by the creator of the kernel, Fabolous: [KERNEL][GSM/CDMA][IML74K] Apex Kernel V4 (12/23/11) - Charging Fixed - RootzWiki

On the three Android devices I have overclocked yes voltage usually needed to be increased with an increase in freq (almost always). But with the Gnex the voltages are way too high.

And I DON'T think that there will be phones that can run @1.5. Unless we get a new DPLL.

You can't get a new one. Unless they find some way to code around the problem, we've seen the max overclock. But who knows if that's even possible. Ti knows about the issue and may figure it out. We'll see.

x25064

Reaction score
Depends on the device. Not all phones overclock the same, and not all phones will handle the lower voltage. Its trial and error... On the other hand, I have yet to see any need to Overclock the Nexus, 1.2ghz dual core is faster then it needs to be... Down the road I can see the use, but for now you would probably be better off running LV and lowering your core clock to around 1.0ghz. There is no point in overclocking with LV just to gain battery, if you want performance I can understand. But like I said before, it makes no sense to try and over clock something that isn't being pushed to its full potential yet.

TBH, the OP should probably do more research before he attempts anything. This is just my opinion, but I think you would benefit greatly from learning Android, before you just brick your phone and then come back asking us how to fix it a ton of times. Gain the knowledge, then apply it.

Agreed. I was NEVER able to run ULV kernels on my D1. It just didn't work, booploops galore.