The Official DF Droid 4 Pre-Release Thread

demarco5

Reaction score
Phone seems awesome, the only bad thing i ever heard about the razr is it just feels too big or wide in your hands (i never held one) is that the same with the droid 4? be great to see side by side pics razr and droid 4

r314bd

Reaction score
Phone seems awesome, the only bad thing i ever heard about the razr is it just feels too big or wide in your hands (i never held one) is that the same with the droid 4?
I had the exact same complaint about the RAZR...at 4.3" it just felt a bit too wide in my hands. But on my OG Droid, sometimes 3.5" seems a tad small. I think the 4" screen of the D4 will be the sweet spot, hopefully.

I don't think there are any comparison photos but here is a comparison of some of the specs

TC_Mits

Reaction score
Round 2 of questions:

1)The keyboard: How is it physically different? Does it have good 'feel' for touch typing? How is the tactile feedback from the keys?

Physically the buttons are raised more than the D3, which people argue is the best keyboard they have had. The backlit keyboard is perfect in the dark, and the audio feedback you receive when pressing the button (click sound) is welcomed. Keyboard 10x better than the d3 – and I loved that keyboard.

More KB questions:
1) Can you turn off the backlight?
2) Can you turn off the audio feedback?
3) What does the SYM key do?
4) On the pix, the shift keys positions looked awkward for touch typing. Do you find them natural to use?

Edit: Can you even get to the battery to see it?

Edit2: I'm awed by the new 4.5" displays coming out! Wish they'd put one in the D4.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

demarco5

Reaction score
I had the exact same complaint about the RAZR...at 4.3" it just felt a bit too wide in my hands. But on my OG Droid, sometimes 3.5" seems a tad small. I think the 4" screen of the D4 will be the sweet spot, hopefully.

I don't think there are any comparison photos but here is a comparison of some of the specs

i understand that but the dimensions he posted up there are almost the same as the razr which scares me now

r314bd

Reaction score
I don't recall the details, but some GB phones do have it already.
The D4 won't have native screenshot ability until ICS.
i understand that but the dimensions he posted up there are almost the same as the razr which scares me now
The RAZR width is 68.9mm while the D4 width (according to Trusstopher's source) is ~65.1mm. By comparison, the he OG Droid width is 60.5mm.

So the D4 is ~7.5% wider than the D1 and ~5.5% narrower than the RAZR.
is the battery removable?
Nope

Last edited:

TC_Mits

Reaction score

In portrait mode, try holding the RAZR shifted more onto your fingers than your palm and with your index finger on the top of the phone instead of below the top corner. It will come to feel completely natural that way.

( By DX w/DF app. )

demarco5

Reaction score
The D4 won't have native screenshot ability until ICS.

The RAZR width is 68.9mm while the D4 width (according to Trusstopher's source) is ~65.1mm. By comparison, the he OG Droid width is 60.5mm.

So the D4 is ~7.5% wider than the D1 and ~5.5% narrower than the RAZR.

Nope

hmmm good job with those numbers, maybe it isnt as wide then, do you know of any other phone at 65mm wide?

EvilGlee

Reaction score
Any word on the display itself? Is it a pentile like the D3 or an actual RGB stripe? Is it definitely an LCD or just shrunken version of the RAZR's AMOLED?

r314bd

Reaction score
Any word on the display itself? Is it a pentile like the D3 or an actual RGB stripe? Is it definitely an LCD or just shrunken version of the RAZR's AMOLED?
Definitely not AMOLED. Judging by this comparison, it's likely the same screen as the D3.

OP
Trusstopher

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry all, got caught up in some G-Nex threads and forgot to post this:

Still testing the battery...with the same as I mentioned before, i added...

-- Craigslist app surfing (30mins)
-- Google + messenger running for 1.5 hours for conversation
-- downloaded 2 full albums of music.
Battery at 50%.

I received that an hour ago

bigsnack

Reaction score
So, then it does have a removable battery, or is the taking off of the back cover only show the sim(s) card slot and the microsd card slot? And just be 100% clear, this is really a global capable device?

TC_Mits

Reaction score
So, then it does have a removable battery, or is the taking off of the back cover only show the sim(s) card slot and the microsd card slot? And just be 100% clear, this is really a global capable device?

Unless they redesigned, the battery does not have a metal case. It is a soft plastic foil pouch. That means you can break it. If it is replaceable at all, it will be a special process. You would do it only if the battery died and you had to throw it away and install a new one. Which is still better than if it's not replaceable at all and so when the battery dies altogether you have to throw the whole RAZR or D4 away!

Edit: For more - http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...unimpressed-skeptical-thread.html#post1871931

[My Dec 02 post at 6:53 in "Skeptical/Unimpressed" thread.]

( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:
OP
Trusstopher

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
More updates from yesterday:

Battery finally died after 5 hours 13 mins of usage. Honestly, that is exactly what I expected with that type of heavier usage. Download ~1.5 gigs worth of music in addition to everything else I did.

I know this doesn't answer all questions but here are the ones i can remember....
Yes the battery is in a soft pouch and it appears that with some minor surgery your could replace it yourself.
It may very well be the same screen as the D3 but this seems brighter and more vivid with colors when compared directly beside a D3.

Also the keyboard doesn't make an actual audio noise its just a gentle click from the design. Its nice because you know you're hitting a button instead of guessing