The Official DF Droid 4 Pre-Release Thread

mfendley

Reaction score
Are any of the accessories being tested along with the phone? Do they test the phone in 3G areas as well as 4G areas?

OP
Trusstopher

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just got answers to the first round of questions:

1) Hows the camera? Better than the d2
Camera is FANTASTIC compared to previous droids. Better than the d2 IMO. Snappy pictures, quick focus – even in lower light areas.

2) Are any of the accessories being tested along with the phone? Do they test the phone in 3G areas as well as 4G areas?
No accessories are tested. Phone is tested in all areas.

3) Info on the speaker would be cool. Is it as loud as the D1?
Speaker is…very very loud. Much like the D1, not distorted either, sounds great.

demarco5

Reaction score
so i guess the camera is the same as the razr or better? i should have asked that since its supposedly the same phone with a keyboard
is it the same as the razr with a keyboard or is there some other advantage?

tuffD1

Reaction score
Thank you for the speaker info. Sounds good :)

Sent from my Steel Droid¹

r314bd

Reaction score
is it the same as the razr with a keyboard or is there some other advantage?
Define "same as." The RAZR has a 4.3" screen and 1780 mAh battery while the D4 will have a 4" screen and 1785 mAh battery, so those are a few other differences.

TC_Mits

Reaction score
... If you have any other requests/questions, post them in here and I will pass them along.

The keyboard: How is it physically different? Does it have good 'feel' for touch typing? How is the tactile feedback from the keys?

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

tuffD1

Reaction score
Will it blend? Oh wait. I mean, will it have a stock screenshot feature?

Sent from my Steel Droid¹

TC_Mits

Reaction score
Nope, not until Android 4.0/ICS

I don't recall the details, but some GB phones do have it already. The GB T-Mobile Gxy S II is reported to take screenshots ootb - no root and no app required.

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:
OP
Trusstopher

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Round 2 of questions:

1)The keyboard: How is it physically different? Does it have good 'feel' for touch typing? How is the tactile feedback from the keys?
Physically the buttons are raised more than the D3, which people argue is the best keyboard they have had. The backlit keyboard is perfect in the dark, and the audio feedback you receive when pressing the button (click sound) is welcomed. Keyboard 10x better than the d3 – and I loved that keyboard.

2)So i guess the camera is the same as the razr or better? i should have asked that since its supposedly the same phone with a keyboard is it the same as the razr with a keyboard or is there some other advantage?
Essentially it’s just like the RAZR, camera just seems quicker. This could just be the type of pictures I’ve taken, as I will take more to get an accurate comparison. The biggest advantage is the keyboard.

3)Will it blend? Oh wait. I mean, will it have a stock screen shot feature?
No, no stock screen cap feature.

4)What device is "daily driver" and how do you compare the D4 to it on an overall preference basis?
Daily driver has been the Bionic and RAZR over the past months or so. Comparing it directly to each, it destroys the Bionic and really does well against the RAZR. Personally, the batter life seems better than the RAZR, has a keyboard so that wins for me.

They also had this to include:
My apologies for not being timelier with this update. The D4 is quite honestly a great phone, but it may not be for everyone. It’s got weight to it and it large. Dimensions are: 4 5/16 tall; 2 9/16 wide and ½ width (screen to back). It looks like a sister to the RAZR…just a heavier sister. Slider is super smooth, far and away better than any other previous generations. Screen is brilliant, much better than D3, Bionic and matches RAZR (IMO). Yes, the screen is only 4’’, but it actually seems larger than that because of how the entire screen slides to reveal the keyboard. Keyboard = AWESOME. That’s as simple as I can put it. Music quality is perfect, whether that’s having headphones or the external speaker blaring it. Absolutely no ‘whine’ like others has experienced with Bionic. Phone is so smooth, haven’t had any drop 4g issues, which is welcomed. Screens flow easily, no freezes or lock ups. With the limited time that I have had it, I would choose this device over every android product out there right now (with the exception of the Nexus – only because I haven’t played with that one yet).

Last edited:
OP
Trusstopher

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
One more addition:

Currently testing the lifting ability of the battery, unplugged
an hour ago and have this going right now:
-- Streaming music for over an hour already
-- Twitter refresh every 15 minutes