The Official DF Droid 4 Pre-Release Thread

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you are looking for somewhere to discuss release dates, specs (confirmed or not), and any other pre-release info about the Droid 4.... you have found the place!

As of right now, the Droid 4 is rumored to have:
4″ screen (assuming Super AMOLED Advanced)
Full 5-row “illuminated” keyboard
RAZR styling
4G LTE
Non-removable battery
Android 2.3.5
1080p video recording (assuming 8MP)
Front camera
HDMI out
MotoACTV syncing

Links concerning the Droid 4:

Last edited:
OP
Trusstopher

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been approached by a member who wishes to remain anonymous but who is able to gather insight from a Moto tester on the Droid 4 device... The person is directly related to a Moto associate. The tester was also in the trial for the Droid 3 so their phone technology background is better than your average blogger.

To kick things off, in this member's opinion "there is no way the droid4 makes the 12/8 release that everyone is seeing...the user trial for this is set to begin this week. (It was supposed to begin on 11/22)"

I'm wondering if the Droid 4 is seeing the same LTE holdups/issues that some think is keeping the G-Nex behind the curtain?

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I wouldn't expect to see the droid 4 until April next year. I would be shocked to see it out be for 2012.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
Trusstopher

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just received two more bits of info from my source:

The test unit should arrive on Tuesday and once that happens pictures and info should follow shortly.

And as for the reason for any hold ups, in a single word: Verizon. According info gathered "Moto wants to make world phones and Verizon doesn't want that"

Interesting...

LuvMusic

Reaction score

And as for the reason for any hold ups, in a single word: Verizon. According info gathered "Moto wants to make world phones and Verizon doesn't want that"

Interesting...

This is discouraging. As a Verizon subscriber who enjoys using Verizon's network while in the US and travels requently to Europe, this business model / goal will end-up driving me to aother carrrier, if it is true.

TC_Mits

Reaction score
I have been approached by a member who wishes to remain anonymous but who is able to gather insight from a Moto tester on the Droid 4 device... The person is directly related to a Moto associate. The tester was also in the trial for the Droid 3 so their phone technology background is better than your average blogger.

To kick things off, in this member's opinion "there is no way the droid4 makes the 12/8 release that everyone is seeing...the user trial for this is set to begin this week. (It was supposed to begin on 11/22)"

I'm wondering if the Droid 4 is seeing the same LTE holdups/issues that some think is keeping the G-Nex behind the curtain?

I also have a source to protect who agrees with the gist of what yours is saying: The delays are not "because the phone is still going through testing." It may be, but only cuz it beats twiddling your thumbs. Vzw feels a need to get more RAZRs on the street, but people aren't really all that excited about phones that are missing major expected features, like an easily removable battery or an SD card slot. Vzw will continue to sit on a ready-to-launch Nexus and Droid4 until they sell enough RAZRs or are forced to give up.
This may not be such a holly jolly xmas @vzw...
(Also posted in Nexus forum.)

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

Last edited:

TC_Mits

Reaction score

Interesting...

The specs show a GSM capable phone, but vzw doesn't yet call it "global" that I have seen. Agreed, "interesting..."

Perspective instantiates reality.
( By DX w/DF app. )

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think if the D4 isn't global it would be odd, seeing as it's a 4G device the name D4G is fitting and we all know the D2G is a global phone

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

1linuxfreak

Reaction score
Well I guess the OG Droid 1 (still works fine) is going to have to last a few more months longer , to bad VZ is losing out on a lot of money because people will wait for what they want .

Panther1911

Reaction score
I have been following the G-Nex for a few weeks now. I almost wonder if Motorola will hold off and release the D4 with Ice Cream Sandwich. It would almost seem foolish not to.

r314bd

Reaction score
I almost wonder if Motorola will hold off and release the D4 with Ice Cream Sandwich. It would almost seem foolish not to.
Agreed. It's really unfortunate that Android currently makes me choose between hardware (D4) and software (Nexus). I'd imagine I'll be getting the D4, but not until it gets the ICS upgrade.

Motorola really needs to focus less on the crapware and focus more on pushing Android updates in a timely fashion.

B-Unit

Reaction score
Agreed. It's really unfortunate that Android currently makes me choose between hardware (D4) and software (Nexus). I'd imagine I'll be getting the D4, but not until it gets the ICS upgrade.

Motorola really needs to focus less on the crapware and focus more on pushing Android updates in a timely fashion.

Really?? The ICS source has been out for all of what, 2 weeks, and your expecting new phones to already have it? Im sure both the D4 and the RAZR will have ICS in Q1 2012.

Panther1911

Reaction score
Really?? The ICS source has been out for all of what, 2 weeks, and your expecting new phones to already have it? Im sure both the D4 and the RAZR will have ICS in Q1 2012.

I would also be willing to bet that the D4 and RAZR will get a ICS update in Q1 2012. But as the way things look I would also be willing to bet that the D4 won't be released until Q1 2012. There is also a very good chance that the Galaxy Nexus (will be shipping with ICS) will be released this year. So it would almost be stupid to release a high end phone without ICS after the G-Nex is released.