The "Got my D3"/ first impressions thread

rushmore

Reaction score
download android system info from the market and see what it says for ram.

Thanks. There is so many out there I didn't know which to get.

RAM 17%
MAX: 439MB FREE: 77MB

INTERNAL MEMORY 80%
MAX 2015.82MB FREE 1626.96MB

SDCard 99% (This is stock, I did not insert my own SDCard)
Max: 11626.5MB FREE: 11573.4MB

Side question. This thing keeps locking after maybe only a minute. But its just the swipe lock. My security lock w/ pin is set to 5 minutes. Is it because its charging? How can I change the swipe lock?

The ram situation seems no better than the DX2. What the ruddy ell' are Moto devs doing with the ram? Even with the apparent 73mb allocation to the chipset (439mb available), there should be at least 100 more mb free. Add up the OS, UI, stock tasks, user apps open and free ram- I bet that like the DX2, there will be at least 100mb missing.

Last edited:

malaka

Reaction score
first impressions

imo...droid doesnt :(....maybe im just used to the d1 and all the roms and choices but this thing is filled with useless apps that startup all the time (slacker,vzw media manager,vzw apps, social networking, maps etc...always restarting)

first impressions...no camera button is -1

slider will loosen up over time...the phone was a lil slow and laggy again im used to having a bloat free d1 so this might have something to do with it

the keyboard isnt bad but it isnt good either a little offset from the og droid but im sure thats just something to get used to over time the number keys are good to have

the locked bootloader announcement killed me but maybe its not encrypted thats yet to be seen

the display is ok...better than the d1 but def not up to par with droid charge i had last week

quadrant score of 2100-2400 out of the box after closing everything out i got 2400-2500 ran like ten of them

speakers arent as good as the d1 not as loud anyways

the delay on my text message was about 30 seconds but that can be heavy traffic i guess

certain widgets like the im presence (which i dont want on the phone anyways) causes launcher pro to force close...there was no option to set LP as default it just automatically did that so maybe by installing and alternate home it automatically disables the default launcher out of the memory

the hardware seems sturdy, its sleek and i like the phone itself

all in all i would recommend this phone its like the d1 but def an upgrade the only drawback is the lack of dev support as of now

i installed the netflix app i had on the d1...and it works...sort of!!! cant find it in the market bc the apk isnt there...it loads up but now that ive tried watching something its all scrambled the display probably isnt set right....but it got further than the droid charge did

the camera works fine the front facing camera is sub par but then again cant really expect that to be to HD...havent had a chance to use the camcorder yet but im sure its the same as the pictures...

i have nothing on battery life yet im still charging it for the first time and havent left the house to let you know how many hours i got out of it

it linked all my facebook contacts but didnt come preinstalled with a facebook app...im not sure how that works but ok...

as for the stock ui..it really wasnt bad, im just used to launcher pro...have only had a few hiccups when trying to do widgets and what not but that could mean LP needs to update for this phone...

not having a sd card come with the phone is retarded...sorry but come on really?? i took the one from my og droid and popped it in there for now

again no LTE radio but thats not a surprise everyone knew that already...whats with the sim card tho?? og droid didnt have one and i didnt think this one would either not that i think its a bad thing i just dont know why its included

the bootup took about 50 seconds and when opening the task manager a million apps are open which is probably the reason for my initial hiccups with speed and lagginess

all in all the more i play with it i guess i like the phone im just waiting for root so i can clean it up and get rid of what i dont want...dev community has 12 days to keep me on the droid 3 ;)....again this isnt a review this is just my first impressions i hope it helps some people sorry for writing a novel here

update i tested the camcorder quality is awesome...light stayed on even after i stopped the video tho had to close the app and reopen it was fixed the second time i tried it...frontfacing recording also works...

Last edited:

n8sco

Reaction score
Anyone else finding that the home screens aren't rotating horizontally unless the keyboard is open?

malaka

Reaction score
mine is rotating fine...doesnt go upside down but the two portraits and rightside up are working for me

KidCuda

Reaction score
again no LTE radio but thats not a surprise everyone knew that already...whats with the sim card tho?? og droid didnt have one and i didnt think this one would either not that i think its a bad thing i just dont know why its included

The sim card is there because it's a global phone. Just not as advertised like the droid 2 vs droid 2 global

OP
Stevelord

Stevelord

Reaction score
Anyone else finding that the home screens aren't rotating horizontally unless the keyboard is open?

Right. Same here.

mine is rotating fine...doesnt go upside down but the two portraits and rightside up are working for me

Your homescreen? You sure? If you open an app, it will rotate fine.

n8sco

Reaction score
It's rotating fine within the apps themselves but if I turn the phone horizontally on any of the homescreens then it stays in it's vertical configuration. I mean it's honestly not that serious and I'll probably get used to it but I feel like it was working when I first started using the phone.

socalsx

Reaction score
It's rotating fine within the apps themselves but if I turn the phone horizontally on any of the homescreens then it stays in it's vertical configuration. I mean it's honestly not that serious and I'll probably get used to it but I feel like it was working when I first started using the phone.

maybe its part of motoblur.. launcher pro had the option to lock the home screen which i actually prefer. doesn't rotate by accident and looks better for me anyways.. check the preferences

Immolate

Reaction score
An aggressive OS will keep RAM nearly filled to ensure that the most likely thing you'll need next is already in the fastest storage area possible. There's a sweet spot for every OS, and the benefits you achieve for going past that sweet spot are of rapidly diminishing value. I'm not saying that RAM above 512MB is wasted. I have absolutely no idea. I'm just saying that free RAM is not necessarily a useful metric.

srgolub

Reaction score
imo...droid doesnt :(....maybe im just used to the d1 and all the roms and choices but this thing is filled with useless apps that startup all the time (slacker,vzw media manager,vzw apps, social networking, maps etc...always restarting)

I'm with you...I just finished setting up my sister's D3 and it was actually refreshing to go back to my D1 with CM7. The complaints about pentile are overblown but Blur is still very noticeable and it just lacks the smoothness and simplicity of the D1. On the plus side, it's as solid as a brick and voice quality is great (par for Motorola) and the keyboard is a huge, huge improvement over the D1. I'm gonna wait for the Bionic.

Reaction score
Sounds good to me and well thought out. I hate the home screen rotating. You take it out of your pocket, swipe it open and then the icons are jumping around from landscape to portrait. I want them in a fixed position for quick access. I also don't like it going at 90 or 360 degree angles. Portrait and landscape are the only orientations I want to see.

flameboy

Reaction score
An aggressive OS will keep RAM nearly filled to ensure that the most likely thing you'll need next is already in the fastest storage area possible. There's a sweet spot for every OS, and the benefits you achieve for going past that sweet spot are of rapidly diminishing value. I'm not saying that RAM above 512MB is wasted. I have absolutely no idea. I'm just saying that free RAM is not necessarily a useful metric.

The XOOM has 1GB of ram and I definitely can feel it. There's nothing like switching from a 3D game to a multi-tabbed browser session then over to youtube then back to your game. Really makes the device feel like a powerful computer.

Maverick0984

Reaction score

No, you are absolutely correct. Modern OS's PC's have been doing this for years. It started with OSX, Vista got it, and of course Vista. If you actually look at your free RAM, it is very very small because the OS is keeping things in RAM to make common things load faster.

I'm not sure where people got this notion that free RAM equals a good thing in Android. Some sort of dated Windows XP mentality I guess.