The "Got my D3"/ first impressions thread

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Just got mine!!! Looks pretty sexy.

Quick Observations:
1. Does seem large though, can't imagine trying to fit an even larger screen in my pocket.
2. Thank god for no silly plated plastic buttons that chip off like the camera button did on my OG Droid.
3. Back cover reminds me more of HTC type battery covers then my OG Droid.
4. The slider is definitely a little tougher than my OG Droid, but not bad at all. I think part of it is it being thinner, so it almost feels more difficult to find the spot to start the sliding, if that makes sense. Just a difference to get used to. Not really a pro or con.

Last edited:

Immolate

Reaction score
Quadrant is a respectable 2423, that's stock out of the box. Got the phone maybe an hour ago.

As to pentile display, it is noticeable when there are small, white letters on the screen. Haven't noticed it anywhere else yet. I can see the "tiles" when I look really close but not when I'm looking at it from a foot away.

woodyman

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.droidconcepts.com
Im loving it got mine around 11:40 activated and now just playing around with it, its a great device, and stock android 2.3.4 with the new version of Blur is actually really nice, im very impressed!

OP
Stevelord

Stevelord

Reaction score
download android system info from the market and see what it says for ram.

Thanks. There is so many out there I didn't know which to get.

RAM 17%
MAX: 439MB FREE: 77MB

INTERNAL MEMORY 80%
MAX 2015.82MB FREE 1626.96MB

SDCard 99% (This is stock, I did not insert my own SDCard)
Max: 11626.5MB FREE: 11573.4MB

Side question. This thing keeps locking after maybe only a minute. But its just the swipe lock. My security lock w/ pin is set to 5 minutes. Is it because its charging? How can I change the swipe lock?

Last edited:

Big D

Reaction score
So Woody. Can you confirm the amount RAM that Steve cited and did we get definitive status on the bootloader? I'm sure I missed it.

Maverick0984

Reaction score
Typing on the keyboard is like typing in a large expansive field compared to my OG Droid which I would now compare to an 8'x8' cell. Wow.

Reaction score
4. The slider is definitely a little tougher than my OG Droid, but not bad at all. I think part of it is it being thinner, so it almost feels more difficult to find the spot to start the sliding, if that makes sense. Just a difference to get used to. Not really a pro or con.

That's more of a Pro for me. I carry my Droid in my pocket and the screen would keep going on because the keyboard would get pushed out a bit while sitting in my pocket...draining the battery unnecessarily.

JesterMX6

Reaction score
download android system info from the market and see what it says for ram.

Thanks. There is so many out there I didn't know which to get.

RAM 17%
MAX: 439MB FREE: 77MB

INTERNAL MEMORY 80%
MAX 2015.82MB FREE 1626.96MB

SDCard 99% (This is stock, I did not insert my own SDCard)
Max: 11626.5MB FREE: 11573.4MB

that's too bad. i was hoping for a gig of ram.

Immolate

Reaction score
Typing on the keyboard is like typing in a large expansive field compared to my OG Droid which I would now compare to an 8'x8' cell. Wow.

Yup it will take some getting used to. I've never seen a physical keyboard oon a phone that's as roomy as this one. Coming from a TBolt, I keep forgetting to use the slider :).

JesterMX6

Reaction score
i'm actually a little upset about the ram. there were rumors it was going to have a gig. i'll see how i like the phone but i may switch to the bionic and give this to my fiance if she likes it.

i keep refreshing fedex's tracking page to see when it gets delivered so i can take my lunch and pick it up haha.

JesterMX6

Reaction score
i hadn't followed a whole lot after the initial leaks. and two days ago i saw an article that said it had a gig.

i'm really surprised its only 512. i expected it to be virtually identical to the bionic + keyboard

Maverick0984

Reaction score
i hadn't followed a whole lot after the initial leaks. and two days ago i saw an article that said it had a gig.

i'm really surprised its only 512. i expected it to be virtually identical to the bionic + keyboard

If you actually did see the article, it was either for a different phone, or several months old...512 is not new news.

Sigh, yet again, probably the 7th or 8th time I've made this post....

The Bionic having 1GB is meaningless, well, not meaningless, but in this argument it is. Only 512MB is usable to the main OS, the other 512MB is for Webtop. So in terms of what you'll be using day to day...they ARE identical. Motorola's stance on all of their higher end/new phones as of today, and for the short term future, is 512MB is enough for the main Android OS. This includes the Atrix, D3, Bionic, etc. The marketing of it as having 1GB isn't a outright lie, but it is absolutely misleading.

JesterMX6

Reaction score
it was a new article. probably just misinformed.

only reason i want a phone with 1g is for what the future of the OS may have. i was under the impression that ICS expands the usable ram.

and if you're going to sigh about making a post for the 7th or 8th time then don't post it.