1st Impression: omgomgomgomg + I have to get used to the new keyboard. Lol
2nd Impression: sooooooo much bloat, holy crap o_O

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

rushmore

Reaction score

Keyboard issues? I did not like the D2 keyboard, due to stiff key action and cramp key space. If the D3 is not better or is worse than the D2, the KB will do no good for me. I would mainly be using it for game emulators and the Quake ports, since prefer swype to hard keys for texting now.

Based on the reported bloat and low free ram (hopefull easy to root to fix) a stiff keyboard will force me to wait for the Bionic. Hoping the KB is good, or will just do without one.

Last edited:

Maverick0984

Reaction score

Keyboard issues? I did not like the D2 keyboard, due to stiff key action and cramp key space. If the D3 is not better or is worse than the D2, the KB will do no good for me. I would mainly be using it for game emulators and the Quake ports, since prefer swype to hard keys for texting now.

Based on the reported bloat and low free ram (hopefull easy to root to fix) a stiff keyboard will force me to wait for the Bionic. Hoping the KB is good, or will just do without one.

I hope everyone realizes "bloat" and "performance" are going to be almost identical. If you are waiting for the Bionic, it should be that you don't want a hardware keyboard, want LTE, or want Webtop. Anything else and you are fooling yourself.

Mills00013

Reaction score
Can't find anyone who has already asked this, but please forgive if it already has:

What is the Android build shipping (2.3.4?) and have you tried gingerbreak yet to see if you can get root?

mattbooty

Reaction score
I'm definitely digging this phone (upgraded from a d1).

I like the keyboard having the number row (although its shifted right a little so i find my left hand is always one set of letters left of where it should be, i'll get used to that though).

The bigger screen is really nice. Its not that much bigger but it feels like it. I really don't notice the pentile screen being as bad as some have made it out to be.

Page rendering on the browser seems much faster than my d1 was.

It definitely feels lighter than my d1, which I like.

One thing I've noticed missing, where is the google news and weather app? I used to use that all the time to browse news stories but can't find it now... there is a "news" app on here but its not the same thing.

All in all I'm very happy with it so far.

rushmore

Reaction score

I hope everyone realizes "bloat" and "performance" are going to be almost identical. If you are waiting for the Bionic, it should be that you don't want a hardware keyboard, want LTE, or want Webtop. Anything else and you are fooling yourself.

Point appearing to be that the keyboard is a critical function for this device. I am hoping the keyboard is not stiff actioned like the D2.

Reaction score
You guys are killing me. I need to know if there is any lag with this phone and mire about the screen. Please. Those are the only two things that im concerned with. I have not herd a lot of good things about the so called better screen ( penitile screen ) .

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Maverick0984

Reaction score
So, if you actually insert an sdcard, it gets mounted as sdcard-ext, and apps that normally talk to a mounted sdcard, do not see it. So you will have to treat it as raw storage for now it looks like.

Maverick0984

Reaction score

Point appearing to be that the keyboard is a critical function for this device. I am hoping the keyboard is not stiff actioned like the D2.

"Stiff actioned" seems largely opinion, but I like it alot. I never used the D2 version though.

mattbooty

Reaction score
You guys are killing me. I need to know if there is any lag with this phone and mire about the screen. Please. Those are the only two things that im concerned with. I have not herd a lot of good things about the so called better screen ( penitile screen ) .

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Depends what you are comparing the screen to. I think is at least as good as and probably slightly better than my D1 screen. If you compare it to a samsung super amoled screen it probably does not look as good (although I haven't done this comparison personally). Its really going to be a personal opinion thing. If it concerns you that much you are better off waiting until there is one in store to play with... or go to a verizon store and check out the screen on the DX2, they are very similar.

As for lag I have yet to notice any. I am running launcher pro, not stock launcher.

OP
Stevelord

Stevelord

Reaction score
How the heck am I suppose to know what kind of message I received? The icons give no indication. No asterisk or number. I have to play a guessing game with this? Are all Droids always like this?

Reaction score
How the heck am I suppose to know what kind of message I received? The icons give no indication. No asterisk or number. I have to play a guessing game with this? Are all Droids always like this?

I am not sure what you are talking about. Unless Moto changed it drastically, you'll have a square speech balloon with a smiley face for Texts, a Gmail icon for Gmail, a Phone icon for missed calls.... etc

Reaction score

Wait.... you DO know that your notification bar at the top is to be touched, dragged down and then you'll see all notifications which you can then touch to go to directly?

Yonnor

I r Teh Greetest
Reaction score

No the keyboard is great, I'm just used to the layout of my OG Droid. lol

haproot

Reaction score
Got my Droid 3!
My first impression is that it's a bit bulkier than I thought it would be.
So far it seems pretty peppy, I still need to put it through it's paces.