The "Got my D3"/ first impressions thread

dtdlurch

Reaction score
How does the D3 display compare to the DX2 display? I actually liked the DX2 display.

I'm curious about this as well....but I don't think I was a fan of the DX2 display.

I was so excited about the D3, but now I'm devastated at the thought it might look like the DX2....

Immolate

Reaction score
Was able to install a Netflix APK for it and actually start an episode of firefly. The screen was all fritzed and I heard a second or two of the voices and then my phone crashed and rebooted. Will have to wait for people who know something to tell me how to do it, assuming it can be done.

KidCuda

Reaction score
How does the D3 display compare to the DX2 display? I actually liked the DX2 display.

I'm curious about this as well....but I don't think I was a fan of the DX2 display.

I was so excited about the D3, but now I'm devastated at the thought it might look like the DX2....

Yes, but are the colors better? The Droid X was washed out...

Sent from my Droid X (soon to be Droid 3) using Tapatalk

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
How the heck am I suppose to know what kind of message I received? The icons give no indication. No asterisk or number. I have to play a guessing game with this? Are all Droids always like this?

Wait.... you DO know that your notification bar at the top is to be touched, dragged down and then you'll see all notifications which you can then touch to go to directly?

Don't like that too much at the moment. Its tiny, in the corner and dragging it down so it hopefully locks is difficult one handed. More difficult than what I'm use to anyway.

However I have hope that I either get usse to it or find an app that works better for me. ;)
So is this your first android phone, period? Cause that's normal for all. It's a great feature. You'll grow to love it and it will become 2nd nature to you.

Immolate

Reaction score

Yes, but are the colors better? The Droid X was washed out...

Sent from my Droid X (soon to be Droid 3) using Tapatalk

The screen seems a little washed out compared to my Tbolt, but not enough to irk me. I haven't tried messing with the brightness displays yet.

Okay, when I take it off auto, I can definitely get a more vivid screen by adjusting the brightness. It appears the auto-brightness setting is taking a very conservative approach to your battery.

Last edited:

Immolate

Reaction score
Wait.... you DO know that your notification bar at the top is to be touched, dragged down and then you'll see all notifications which you can then touch to go to directly?

Don't like that too much at the moment. Its tiny, in the corner and dragging it down so it hopefully locks is difficult one handed. More difficult than what I'm use to anyway.

However I have hope that I either get usse to it or find an app that works better for me. ;)
So is this your first android phone, period? Cause that's normal for all. It's a great feature. You'll grow to love it and it will become 2nd nature to you.

Notification bar is definitely the bee's knees, so much so that Apple is copying it. Don't worry, they'll be sure to sue themselves for it.

There are a lot of good messaging apps out there. The stock one isn't all that great. As someone who's job depends on texts, I can't afford to have a one-and-done notification so I use Handcent, which is a very popular market application and is free. The customization can be intimidating. But if you plop that on your main screen, you can see how many new texts you haven't looked at are awaiting you and you can easily open it with a thumb.

neilrl79

Reaction score
I activated mine at noon and have been messing with it on and off since. I'm coming from a D1 and the D3 keyboard is fantastic in comparison. It's taking me a little time to get used to, i'm used to CM7. I really miss the notifacation power widget. I'll give more of a review after i've had time to play with it.

bakeray

Reaction score
This thing blows the D1 out of the water, the display on mine quit working so instead of paying 100 for a refurb I just went ahead and upgraded and all I can say is wow!

As someone said above, the keyboard is really spectacular. perfect amount of resistance/responsiveness imo and after a couple hours of playing around with it i'm already somewhat accustomed to it.

The screen is really vibrant, I don't know what it is like compared to the Droid 2/X2 but so far I haven't noticed any graphics/text reading issues, then again I've only had it a couple hours.

There is indeed bloatware installed on this thing, but I really haven't ran into any problems with speed or anything, I've reinstalled the majority of my apps from my OG droid and with everything running it is still going snappy. Bringing up a task manager does show a LOT of the bloatware running though so I'm sure if someone is able to root/unlock/remove bloat this thing is only going to increase in functionality.

Going to mess around with the camera/video recording once I get off work, i'll post up some more impressions and some examples then. As of now my opinion is if you're on the fence about upgrading, are not in an LTE/4G area or do not care, and want a physical keyboard, it's a great buy, but don't take my opinion as gospel.

bplewis24

Reaction score
At this time by now I expected a lot more useful information/reviews about it from people who have gotten theirs. I'm sure I'm not the only one irritated by this fact.

I can not recall a higher end phone not having a media review, this late in the game- ever. Been plenty of coverage, but no reviews. Very odd and hopefully not a reflection on the device.

It's not a reflection of the device. According to the editors at AndroidCentral (podcast), Verizon/Motorola did not send out test/review units to technical review sites. This is the first time they can remember a high profile device like this not having review models sent out.

Mine is here.
-I got a blinking GREEN led only so far, for both a new email, new text and a missed call. Nothing in the settings so far to modify this. I will try out an app that has worked on previous phones to see if I can change this.
-I do not like that I can't see how many new emails/messages I have from the app icon. Really liked this on Blackberry.

Sounds like you're new to Android. You should know that LED notification settings are app-specific. By default, the OS shows them as green. If you go into some apps, they give the option to change the color. The stock Messaging app does not have this option, but things like Handcent do. Facebook for Android defaults to blue.

Also, if you want to see how many emails/messages you have from the home screen, use widgets. Handcent has an unread message widget. One reason why this isn't shown in the icons is because you have a Notification Bar which will show you how many unread messages/mail you have.

One thing I've noticed missing, where is the google news and weather app? I used to use that all the time to browse news stories but can't find it now... there is a "news" app on here but its not the same thing

I've noticed that custom skins like HTC Sense and Motoblur replace the stock Google Weather/News app with their own. That's actually one of the things I hate most about Sense/Blur.

Brandon

Last edited:

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Notification bar is definitely the bee's knees, so much so that Apple is copying it. Don't worry, they'll be sure to sue themselves for it.

There are a lot of good messaging apps out there. The stock one isn't all that great. As someone who's job depends on texts, I can't afford to have a one-and-done notification so I use Handcent, which is a very popular market application and is free. The customization can be intimidating. But if you plop that on your main screen, you can see how many new texts you haven't looked at are awaiting you and you can easily open it with a thumb.
Haha, that first part was great about them going to eventual sue themselves. So true, too. I almost want to tell him to use an iPhone for a week, then tell me which he likes better(of course no cheating and downloading the iOS5 copy beta).

And I agree completely. Currently on my OG Droid I'm using Handcent. So hopefully D3 also has different notification LED's to accompany it because I really love having that feature. I haven't seen anyone confirm that or yet.. I might of overlooked it though.

bplewis24

Reaction score
No one appears to have mentioned anything about Google Talk...

Not seeing video chat from Google on it. It has Skype preinstalled however.

Just in case you didn't already know, the app itself is Google Talk or GTalk, and in the application grid it would simply be "Talk." You may have to download it from the Android Market.

Load it up and see if you have the option of using your front facing camera for video chat.

Edit: okay I just looked and noticed that GTalk isn't in the market. Is that normal? I have it on my D1, but that's because I'm running a custom ROM. It just occurred to me that maybe Verizon/Moto have a deal with Skype, and so they removed GTalk from the 2.3.4 build of Gingerbread because of it.

I can send somebody the GTalk apk if necessary.

Brandon

Last edited:

wakeb791

Reaction score
I can't wait to see some word on battery life within a few days. That's the biggest thing for me. I have an Incredible right now (with an extended battery), and I'm just praying that the D3 gets better battery life!

SupraRZ95

Reaction score
Wonderful people. Can we get fime frikin pics of it instead if everybody masterbating over it? I can Google pics. But I don't want lame media shots of it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the media pics are exactly what it is. what else is there to show?

My thoughts exactly. If he wanted a video review, like I do, I'd understand that. They're more in depth and you can see it in action. I'm surprised Youtube has none yet. Oh well, in time.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums