The "Got my D3"/ first impressions thread

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
My first impression- I compared it to the Droid x2 in the store. Motoblur definitely seems improved over the dx2 (smoother, faster) however according to quadrant and linpack, the dx2 is faster (highest on D3 was 2505, while the x2 got a 2750)
Also on the D3 I tried uninstalling a few apps but then it would kinda freeze when I went back to the home screen (saw the background but no icons/Widgets or even the dockbar) only way I got them back was opening the keyboard and it would ask to force close launcher...btw the keyboard is pretty darn nice compared to my Droid (although I barely use my keyboard anymore lol)
Also the D3 seemed to have the better looking screen (although it was very dark compared to the X2s but I didn't really play around with the brightness settings lol)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Last edited:

wkearney99

Reaction score
Dude you would think these people were blindsided by the fact that their moto phones would come with blur. I have had no issues. I swear people are making up issues its like that psyco person who always has some rare disease no one ever gets but they've gotten 10 diffrent ones somehow .

+1 on that! Yeesh, the whinging is pathetic. It is what it is, adjust or move on.

I'm not sure you guys understand the purpose of this thread. People are giving their 1st impressions of the phone, good, bad and indifferent. Try giving your opinions on the phone without judging others.

Oh, we're totally clear on the thread purpose. And it's been clear since the beginning that Moto phones on Verizon are going to come with the Blur interface on them. So quit with the whinging about it. It's like complaining a car runs on diesel when you want one that runs on gasoline. If you want something different then BUY something different. The endless complaining about Blur is just pathetic. Move on.

neilrl79

Reaction score
+1 on that! Yeesh, the whinging is pathetic. It is what it is, adjust or move on.

I'm not sure you guys understand the purpose of this thread. People are giving their 1st impressions of the phone, good, bad and indifferent. Try giving your opinions on the phone without judging others.

Oh, we're totally clear on the thread purpose. And it's been clear since the beginning that Moto phones on Verizon are going to come with the Blur interface on them. So quit with the whinging about it. It's like complaining a car runs on diesel when you want one that runs on gasoline. If you want something different then BUY something different. The endless complaining about Blur is just pathetic. Move on.

You seem to be getting angry that people are giving "THEIR IMPRESSIONS" of the phone that they bought, again, that is the point of this thread. Perhaps you should "move on".

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

You seem to be getting angry that people are giving "THEIR IMPRESSIONS" of the phone that they bought, again, that is the point of this thread. Perhaps you should "move on".
I agree with you to a point, man. It is THEIR impressions and opinions, but at the same time it seems to be most others too. Not to mention at the same time, a lot of people complaining about blur are people who know it had blur on it to begin with. It gets pretty annoying to read the same complaints over and over again. I mean honestly, I think we get it.. blur isn't very popular like say.. vanilla. So get over. I'd like to read more cons of the phone that I haven't read 50times over already and that really matters to actually talk about.

I'd honestly rather read someone come in and say, "Ah man, this phone is great! But at some point during the day it turned into a transformer and ran out of the house. Good part is, it returned and I got a f'n transformer as a phone!".

Satire, yes. But it's so much better then, "Man I love this phone. Just wish it didn't have blur.", in some way or another. We get it, you don't like blur. 1,000 people before you said that already. It's not even that horrible.

But, to each their own. After this post people are still sure to complain about it. And new people to the site may not know it's been said time and again before so you can't be mad at 'em for that.

Big D

Reaction score
Call me crazy but I really LIKE blur. I've never seen it before but if this is it, then I like it a lot.

Cdjones187

Reaction score
Call me crazy but I really LIKE blur. I've never seen it before but if this is it, then I like it a lot.

This version of blur is MUCH MUCH MUCH improved. If you are curious check out a regular DX with blur, its slower and more bloated. The lag from the blur launcher on the DX was un bearable. I'm yet to switch launchers on the D3.

TDevilsG

Reaction score

This version of blur is MUCH MUCH MUCH improved. If you are curious check out a regular DX with blur, its slower and more bloated. The lag from the blur launcher on the DX was un bearable. I'm yet to switch launchers on the D3.

I'm going to give it more of a shot this time around. I switched to launcher pro and it works wonders but BLUR gives me something new and refreshing. If I notice that Blur eats up my battery faster I'll probably switch back to launch pro. with the extended battery and light to moderate use yesterday, I got about 19 hours out of the phone.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok folks, lets get back on track here. Blur or no Blur, they are reviewing the phone from their perspective.

Lets get on with the reviewing, and less bickering.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, after using this phone for a day I think im going to be buying an extended battery. Even with moderate use and different launcher I feel like my battery gets eaten up too much. Maybe more than my old DROID. And, it charges a lot slower. Other than that, loving this phone like crazy!

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

spruleme

Reaction score
Well, after using this phone for a day I think im going to be buying an extended battery. Even with moderate use and different launcher I feel like my battery gets eaten up too much. Maybe more than my old DROID. And, it charges a lot slower. Other than that, loving this phone like crazy!

I've certainly noticed the phone charges alot slower via usb to a computer rather than just using a rapid charger. My power plug charger and car charger charges around about 10% per 10 mins it seems.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

I've certainly noticed the phone charges alot slower via usb to a computer rather than just using a rapid charger. My power plug charger and car charger charges around about 10% per 10 mins it seems.

Charging via USB always takes longer because there isn't as much electricity flowing as there is with a wall charger.

Cdjones187

Reaction score
To have the TI OMAP4 chipset means to have ddr2.

I've switched to GO launcher. I did like blur, but two things I couldn't stand (which any decent launcher should let you change and customize anyway) were the 4 (wtf even number) launcher buttons. I just can't get into not having the app drawer button in the middle. And the side scrolling app drawer. If moto added the ability to change those two things up, I would be perfectly happy with blur. (or if its already there, make it easier to find, lol)

I've also found that going 5x4 grid size for the home screens looks a lot better on this phone. 4x4 had a lot of space between the icons, 5x4 just seems to look more tidy.

Actually the Omap 4430 in the D3 and the 4460 that will be in the Bionic do not have ddr2 as far as the spec sheet from Texas Instruments says.

OMAP™ 4 Platform - OMAP4430/OMAP4460

But the Omap5 series have some sort of quad core CPU up to 2ghz, and DDR3 ram. Full 1080p HD @ 60 fps both recording and playback. And 1080p HD 3D @ 30 fps recording/playback. up to 20mp Camera!?!?

http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wt...teId=6123&navigationId=12864&contentId=103103

I wanna know what those chipsets are going to be in! =]

And the blur is pretty awesome compared to other versions, def. not a hassle, smooth and fast.

Last edited:

camaro1173

Reaction score
To have the TI OMAP4 chipset means to have ddr2.

I've switched to GO launcher. I did like blur, but two things I couldn't stand (which any decent launcher should let you change and customize anyway) were the 4 (wtf even number) launcher buttons. I just can't get into not having the app drawer button in the middle. And the side scrolling app drawer. If moto added the ability to change those two things up, I would be perfectly happy with blur. (or if its already there, make it easier to find, lol)

I've also found that going 5x4 grid size for the home screens looks a lot better on this phone. 4x4 had a lot of space between the icons, 5x4 just seems to look more tidy.

Actually the Omap 4430 in the D3 and the 4460 that will be in the Bionic do not have ddr2 as far as the spec sheet from Texas Instruments says.

OMAP™ 4 Platform - OMAP4430/OMAP4460

But the Omap5 series have some sort of quad core CPU up to 2ghz, and DDR3 ram. Full 1080p HD @ 60 fps both recording and playback. And 1080p HD 3D @ 30 fps recording/playback. up to 20mp Camera!?!?

OMAP™ 5 Platform - OMAP5432

I wanna know what those chipsets are going to be in! =]

And the blur is pretty awesome compared to other versions, def. not a hassle, smooth and fast.

Take a look at this I would have to say that it is DDR2 scroll down to second page and look at the diagram of the chip layout. I might be wrong but it looks to me that it says LPDDR2 for SDRAM controller. Just thought I would throw this out there but as I said I could be wrong.

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ml/swpt034b/swpt034b.pdf

Hope this helps to get the right answer...

pedromartinez

Reaction score
Got my Droid 3 today. Definitely like it. It runs smooth, but not significantly faster than my HTC Incredible. It flies on WiFi. Only if this thing had 4G it would be perfect.

The screen is okay. It's not the best but certainly not the worst.

My 'u' key does not work sometimes. You have to push it harder than all the other keys. It can click without registering a u.

The keyboard is SOOOOOO much better than the Droid 1.

Ran quadrant 4 times in a row and got 2090, 2400, 2450, 2590, respectively. These numbers are approximations. Can't remember it specifically but those what I recall. The LG revolution pulls down 2000-2200 consistently. Only if it I had gingerbread. (Just ran quadrant now and got 2220).

The Blur interface is something that seems to have been belabored on this thread, but it certainly is not that great. The gallery app sucks. It takes wayy too much effort to add an icon to your home screens. The app button is on the right and doesn't even look like an app button. It runs slower than any other launcher. I really wished this had an unlocked bootloader because my Incredible flies without sense and cyanogen. I can only imagine how fast this will go.

The swiftkey is neat.

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this because, the blur reduces the experience of the phone. The screen is somewhat a step back in my opinion. The keyboard is great but it seems i'm going to have to have it replaced because of the 'u' key not working correctly. I'm wondering if I should just wait for Ice Cream Sandwich with a 720p amoled screen and no blur.

Reaction score
Got my Droid 3 today. Definitely like it. It runs smooth, but not significantly faster than my HTC Incredible. It flies on WiFi. Only if this thing had 4G it would be perfect.

The screen is okay. It's not the best but certainly not the worst.

My 'u' key does not work sometimes. You have to push it harder than all the other keys. It can click without registering a u.

The keyboard is SOOOOOO much better than the Droid 1.

Ran quadrant 4 times in a row and got 2090, 2400, 2450, 2590, respectively. These numbers are approximations. Can't remember it specifically but those what I recall. The LG revolution pulls down 2000-2200 consistently. Only if it I had gingerbread. (Just ran quadrant now and got 2220).

The Blur interface is something that seems to have been belabored on this thread, but it certainly is not that great. The gallery app sucks. It takes wayy too much effort to add an icon to your home screens. The app button is on the right and doesn't even look like an app button. It runs slower than any other launcher. I really wished this had an unlocked bootloader because my Incredible flies without sense and cyanogen. I can only imagine how fast this will go.

The swiftkey is neat.

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this because, the blur reduces the experience of the phone. The screen is somewhat a step back in my opinion. The keyboard is great but it seems i'm going to have to have it replaced because of the 'u' key not working correctly. I'm wondering if I should just wait for Ice Cream Sandwich with a 720p amoled screen and no blur.

You have an Android phone wich means you don't like it you can change it. Try the launchers.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums