The "Got my D3"/ first impressions thread

Droidrage729

Reaction score
Well still love the phone however I had to get a replacement the other day. Unlocked the phone to use it and the screen turned black in white letters it said bp dump.... And some other stuff. Looked like some. Recovery. it was rebooting alot. I haven't had any since my replacement. if your coming from another phone don't restore root Apps. Why would you want to overclock this phone its ridiculously fast already.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Well still love the phone however I had to get a replacement the other day. Unlocked the phone to use it and the screen turned black in white letters it said bp dump.... And some other stuff. Looked like some. Recovery. it was rebooting alot. I haven't had any since my replacement. if your coming from another phone don't restore root Apps. Why would you want to overclock this phone its ridiculously fast already.

I know. I was just wondering if anyone had a phone with this processor before, and if they were able to hit up to 1.5gHZ.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Just realized that the Droid 3 has built in cifs. I could stream video right from my network drive with my file explorer. I know the dlna does this but it wouldn't let me use rockplayer.

This may have been obvious but all I know is I had to root my Xoom and Dinc to do that.
Cool stuff

Yeah I know, it's pretty sweet. I even made a video on it on youtube the other lol.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am quickly falling in love with this phone. The camera in both pic's and vid is amazing. I picked up a class 10 SD card and it made a world of a difference. The FFC is quite good as well....much better than I expected. All and all this phone is awesome.

Reaction score
I am quickly falling in love with this phone. The camera in both pic's and vid is amazing. I picked up a class 10 SD card and it made a world of a difference. The FFC is quite good as well....much better than I expected. All and all this phone is awesome.

Whats a class 10 sd card. Sorry but never herd that before.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
a much faster SD card for your phone. The cards that VZW issues with devices is only 4mbps.....the class 10's range from 10 to 20mbps.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I bought my OG Droid on eBay, it had one of those. Lucky me. :) But yeah, I agree completely. It's great dude.

AVNFAM

Reaction score
Mine is here.

Post pics and first impressions!

Picture taken with my 3.2MP Blackberry
Droid3-1.jpg

Droid3 camera
6MPwide.jpg

Quick 1080P Video 24MB / 20sec video.

-Slider is a little tough and requires some force to actually slide out. This is my first slider phone, so I don't know how common that is.
-For those that still weren't sure, there is NO included microSD card. The slot for it is next to the sim card and does NOT require the battery to be taken out.
-It DOES fit into the Verizon Universal Pouch. Just by looking at the two, I was worried it wouldn't.
-The Verison VZ Navigator app is in fact, installed on the phone.
-I got a blinking GREEN led only so far, for both a new email, new text and a missed call. Nothing in the settings so far to modify this. I will try out an app that has worked on previous phones to see if I can change this.
-I do not like that I can't see how many new emails/messages I have from the app icon. Really liked this on Blackberry.
-Camera is great. Taking pics is not instant like it is on an iPhone. Takes a full second. My BB takes 3seconds, which is an eternity trying to take pictures of kids. My BB also delayed the image pretty badly.

The "tough" slider is not a big deal, it will lossen up as you break it in. I have a Droid 2 and it slides quick and smoothly. My husband has a Droid 3 and it NOW slides out the same, quick and smoothly.

AVNFAM

Reaction score
It looks way better than the D2, that's for sure. A worthy successor to the D1.

I agree, I have the Droid 2, my husband bought a 3 a week ago and it's WAY better than the 2. I kept taking my husband's phone to play with it, couldn't put it down. Then I'd mess with mine and get all dissapointed LOL. I was on the fence on which phone to upgrade to, but once I started playing around with my husband's 3 I was sold and ordered one for myself, will arrive today via FEDEXdancedroid

John.Edwards

Reaction score
One thing about the screen. It is amazing in sunlight. Best I've ever seen and completely usable even in direct midday sun.

Silver Member
Reaction score
Class 10 SD cards are having problems with Android phones (industry wide). Any phone will be more than fine with a class 4/6.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Class 10 SD cards are having problems with Android phones (industry wide). Any phone will be more than fine with a class 4/6.

I an not having any trouble at all. I think you might be talking about card over 16gb....seems our phones don't really like 32gb cards but I haven't been able to check yet with this one

Tepes

Reaction score
Here I am on Day 2 with my D3. I previously had a D1 running SS5.4. Of course, right away there were things that I had with roms that I miss (galaxy power bar, blue lettering, change of lettering, change of carrier name), the list goes on. But now that that is out of the way, here's my feelings on this fresh peice of hardware.

I gave Blur a shot for about 5hrs. Tried different setups, different widgets but just continued to have the same issues with lag and redraw (specialy when coming back from browsing the web). This is a shame because I liked a lot of what Blur had to offer and the shine effect on widgets and the like, was quite pleasing. So I am back with good ole Go Launcher EX and am very happy with it. I adjusted the size to 4 columns x 5 rows to take advantage of the new realestate and it looks great, runs wonderfully (better than my D1) and gives me access to everything I want.

There is definitly a noticable speed increase from the D1 (overclocked to 900mhz) to the D3. Very smooth transitions, videos load and move well even when set to HQ. Games play wonderfully ( still wish Conkers Bad Fur Day worked on the N64oid, but that's on the app and not the phone :) )

I miss the 3D gallery!!! Mainly for one feature, the picture frame widget. I have a 6month old and like to show him off, so I always had one screen dedicated to pictures of him. Now there is just that social networking frame that I can't get to show my photos, just everybody elses. I even tried other picture frame widgets from the market, but all of them made the photos look horrible and distorted in a way.

The screen... the horrible, horrible pentile display :):) Is not bad at all. Yes, I notice the weird thatch pattern on somethings (mainly if I look really closely). Yes, some videos look a little more pixelated (They also look brighter and crisper). And oh no!!!! I can see my phone in the sunlight:) So for me, the screen is a win. I haven't noticed anything that make me regret getting this phone and I think Motorola is figuring out how to best use these QHD displays. Perhaps the 4in vs 4.3in screen helps. I don't know.

Yes the bloatware sucks (but Go Launcher can hide all that so yes it is there, but I don't have to look at it).

There are thing I look forward to when and if root is obtained, but I'm a kid in a candy store right now, just like when I got my D1. I'm going to play with everything I can until I can't stand it anymore and hopefully by then there will be a root exploit and I will continue to play and tweak it everyday for the next 2 years like my D1 :)

Oh, App suggestion. Widgetlocker. Works great and for those that miss the added access to things from the lockscreen that you may have had with previous roms it does the trick.