The "Got my D3"/ first impressions thread

Big D

Reaction score
Anyone else feel like this thing slides open too easy?

I'm feeling like I should have left that film thing on the back. Overall, I think this phone is much more "plastic-y" than the OG Droid.

Wish the slider wasn't so loosey-goosey.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

I'm feeling like I should have left that film thing on the back. Overall, I think this phone is much more "plastic-y" than the OG Droid.

Some of the D1's were loose too. Just production variances.

end of line...

militant

Reaction score

Mine feels pretty solid, takes a good push to get it open.

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
if i had known that current 3g unlimited folks would be able to retain unl lte i wouldn't have gotten a tbolt....and would currently have a droid 3 with hideous blue blur...and i'd be waiting for a nice rom.

heartache.

Big D

Reaction score

Mine feels pretty solid, takes a good push to get it open.

Yeah, I'm pretty unhappy about it.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
if i had known that current 3g unlimited folks would be able to retain unl lte i wouldn't have gotten a tbolt....and would currently have a droid 3 with hideous blue blur...and i'd be waiting for a nice rom.

heartache.

Yeah I'm glad I waited. I figured they would grandfather us...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Fr33dom

Reaction score
so can someone tell me how to take my sdcard from my old og, stock, that has musics, pictures and apps that i moved to card, and install it the new phone?

safest way would be to copy everything to computer, reformat, then install in droid. Re boot phone, and take out card, and put music and pics back into directories re created by phone.

or is there a simpler way? thanks.

I'm probably missing something, but why not just plug it into your D3 and go? If you need to move stuff between /sdcard and /sdcard-ext then the stock file application will do that well enough.

Reportedly there are some things that should be deleted from the card first. There are a couple posts either in this thread or one of the other Droid 3 threads that speak to this.

bplewis24

Reaction score
so can someone tell me how to take my sdcard from my old og, stock, that has musics, pictures and apps that i moved to card, and install it the new phone?

safest way would be to copy everything to computer, reformat, then install in droid. Re boot phone, and take out card, and put music and pics back into directories re created by phone.

or is there a simpler way? thanks.

I'm probably missing something, but why not just plug it into your D3 and go? If you need to move stuff between /sdcard and /sdcard-ext then the stock file application will do that well enough.

Reportedly there are some things that should be deleted from the card first. There are a couple posts either in this thread or one of the other Droid 3 threads that speak to this.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-3/158495-droid-3-system-dump.html#post1621714

make sure you deleted the .android_secure folder, LOST.DIR, android, then open the DCIM folder and deleted the .thumbnails, and 100ANDRO

Heelfan71

Reaction score
I just took my sd card from my thunderbolt and put it in the D3. Should I have done something different??

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
I did the same except I pulled it out my Droid 2. I haven't had any problems.

TDevilsG

Reaction score
I traded in the D3 for the DX2 because of this tone ,blasting in my ear, at the end of calls.
See my post on the D3 gen forum for details.

EDIT: Sorry to hear about that! I'm wondering if this is something that can be fixed with a different ROM when the time comes.

Last edited:

haproot

Reaction score
Mine does the same over bluetooth, when i hang up a loud ass tone blows up my ear.

Reaction score
Absolutely GORGEOUS!!

Coming from a Original Droid that was overclocked to kingdom come and I have a feeling I'm not going to be looking back with this new device.

Beautifully designed, sturdier than the Droid and an awesome keyboard! :icon_ banana:

Droidrage729

Reaction score
I'm almost positive there will be a software patch to this version. While it is solid there are very minor bugs such as bluetooth. In due time I guess.

Reaction score
Absolutely GORGEOUS!!

Coming from a Original Droid that was overclocked to kingdom come and I have a feeling I'm not going to be looking back with this new device.

Beautifully designed, sturdier than the Droid and an awesome keyboard! :icon_ banana:

Absolutely! I also had my Droid overclocked and it just wasn't cutting it. The way D3 runs is just so satisfying it's hard to stop using it. The ONLY qualm I have with the speed is the loading of the camera and the hesitation before the photo is snapped.

I was initially unsure of whether I'd keep the Droid 3 past the return window. The lack of LTE was disappointing. However, the global capability is more important to me and a phone without a hardware keyboard is not a consideration.

When you really stop to put things into perspective. We all wanted to flee Edge for 3G as soon as it was available and rightly so. Edge was insufferable. You clicked to load a page and then put your phone down to wait for it to load and checked back in a few minutes in the hopes that it was done. That is hardly the case with 3G. In fact, with the performance boost of the D3, any perceived slowness with 3G has been pretty much eliminated. You realize that the "slow" loading of pages was the slow rendering ability of the smartphone rather than the data speed. My web pages (and I mean desktop sites, as I hate dumbed down mobile sites) load almost as quickly on my Droid 3 as they do on my 2.40 ghz quad core PC connected to Fios.

LTE is truly a novelty and more of a tool for Verizon to tout superiority over other carriers in their ads, for now. It speaks more to the future than to the current reality. The techy-gadget guy in me desires it because it is there and available. The sensible-thinking adult in me (the same one that decided to return that G1 in favor of returning to Android at a later date) knows full well the time for it is a year or two off... when they release phones that get the same or better battery-life performance as current 3G phones do.

Last edited: