Root for Android noob

sambith

Reaction score
I'll keep it brief for you guys.

So.. I've had a RAZR since 11/10/11. Pre-order. Love it. Love ICS. First Android phone. First post on these boards, too.

Finally got a navigation dock for my phone today. Love it. Hate that VZW Navigator launches when I plug it in. Contemplate rooting. Am completely ignorant of rooting a phone.

Google. Find this.

How to Root Droid Razr on ICS! [Windows/Mac/Linux] | DroidRazrRoot.comURL looks only a LITTLE fishy, /sarcasm. Site is overwhelmed with ads and fake download links. But, instructions are simple.

Go back to Google. Find droidforums.net. See RAZR section, see How to root. Am confused. Contemplating poorly written site root. Not sure what to do. Just want to get rid of the crap-ware on my phone, but also concerned what/if I will lose anything on the device (ignorant of rooting part) - contacts, applications, etc, by doing so.

Shady site looks almost to good to be true. Probably is since all I have to do is UNROOT - and what does that entail, exactly? Just removes root access? Factory resets my phone?

Please help. I want to learn. :(

OP
S

sambith

Reaction score
Thanks FoxKat!

Now, noob question 2 - out of paranoia, I've backed everything up to my SD card. Root access doesn't/shouldn't affect any of my files, accounts or contacts on the device, correct?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Thanks FoxKat!

Now, noob question 2 - out of paranoia, I've backed everything up to my SD card. Root access doesn't/shouldn't affect any of my files, accounts or contacts on the device, correct?

Rooting doesn't affect storage, but flashing of a ROM or doing a Factory DataRestore will. As long as you are only rooting, installing Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper and protecting root, you will be fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Newbrooter

Reaction score
i just finished rooting my phone with the link you posted. now how do i go about making changes? Deleting bloatware and all that jazz!

jsandy

Reaction score
From one newb to another. If there is anything that I've learned, it is "Don't remove bloatware". Freeze it, disable it, whatever, but don't remove it. If you ever have to go back to bone stock you'll be jumping through hoops to get the bloat ware back. I freeze mine with Titanium Backup.

OP
S

sambith

Reaction score
From one newb to another. If there is anything that I've learned, it is "Don't remove bloatware". Freeze it, disable it, whatever, but don't remove it. If you ever have to go back to bone stock you'll be jumping through hoops to get the bloat ware back. I freeze mine with Titanium Backup.

I did! I was really bothered by a lot of the bloat, so I just froze them. I also backed up everything to my Box account to be safe.

Haven't done any overclocking yet, but everything runs MUCH smoother already! I love it. :)

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
sambith said:
I did! I was really bothered by a lot of the bloat, so I just froze them. I also backed up everything to my Box account to be safe.

Haven't done any overclocking yet, but everything runs MUCH smoother already! I love it. :)

Way to go! And welcome to the forum. Stay around....peruse the posts, you'll learn tons :)

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Like jsandy so apply put it...DO NOT DELETE ANYTHING THAT YOU CANNOT DELETE WITHOUT ROOT, and there are a few apps that come with the Razr that you can safely uninstall. Just remember if you root and freeze apps or services you must unfreeze them, unroot (you can use Voodoo to do this) and then take the OTA update/upgrade.