Rooted Razr Needing to update

Gillard71

Reaction score
Alright so I've been kind of slacking and havn't updated my phone since 2.3.5. Ive searched all over google to try and find the best solution that I need to do to get to the update of ICS. The main reason for my root on my phone is for tethering my ps3 to get on the internet and playing COD and Battlefield (lol) on 4G. I have tried multiple ways that I have read up on but just not sure if they didn't work do to not being correct for my phone/Version. I am just wondering if i am needing to unroot and do the updates then root when I'm in ICS or if there are any ways around not having to unroot. Any help will be great and can't wait to have ICS on my phone my brother has been flaunting his every since hes had the update on his unrooted Razr.

Justin

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Root won't stop or interfere with the update, but once updated you will have to re-root as the update does break root.

If you've changed any /system files and such or installed safestrap or bootstrap, then the update will not work. Root though...does not stop it.

OP
G

Gillard71

Reaction score
OK there were some files which I deleted but did so the titanium back up and I'm sure If i can figure out which ones I have to have to update I can restore them.

I did have safestrap on my phone which I will in install and try to update and see if that works.

Thanks for the reply!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
You can't use safe strap, just having installed it will make the update fail. You need to get the fast boot files and restore your device to stock then update or if there are fast boot files of ICS just fast boot straight to ICS.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

OP
G

Gillard71

Reaction score
Where would I be able to find the fast boot files at? I do know how to fast boot I believe just need the files to use. Sorry for my ignorance.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Alright so I've been kind of slacking and havn't updated my phone since 2.3.5. Ive searched all over google to try and find the best solution that I need to do to get to the update of ICS. The main reason for my root on my phone is for tethering my ps3 to get on the internet and playing COD and Battlefield (lol) on 4G. I have tried multiple ways that I have read up on but just not sure if they didn't work do to not being correct for my phone/Version. I am just wondering if i am needing to unroot and do the updates then root when I'm in ICS or if there are any ways around not having to unroot. Any help will be great and can't wait to have ICS on my phone my brother has been flaunting his every since hes had the update on his unrooted Razr.

Justin
Gillard...what system file are you on. I know you have 2.3.5, but what system file are you on.tcrews is right, you cannot have safestrap or bootstrap on your phone to receive a OTA update. I'd recommend using the RazrUtility to return to stock, take the OTA update to 4.0.1 system version .211 and then use the Utility to root. There are several versions of the utility...it depends on the system version you are running to determine which version of the utility to run to get back to stock and OTA to ICS (4.0.1) system version .211. Once you get there you use the RazrUtility 1.8 or 1.81 to root. The utilities in question are available in the section of the forum I think. I know 1.8 is available here. I can point you in the right direction if you need 1.6 or 1.7 to restore your current system version.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
PS...and you will have to replace the files you moved or deleted before you can get an OTA. If they were apps that you could delete without root then there is no problem, you don't have to replace them. But if they were files/apps that required root to delete, those will have to be replaced.

OP
G

Gillard71

Reaction score
jpcalhoun said:
Gillard...what system file are you on. I know you have 2.3.5, but what system file are you on.tcrews is right, you cannot have safestrap or bootstrap on your phone to receive a OTA update. I'd recommend using the RazrUtility to return to stock, take the OTA update to 4.0.1 system version .211 and then use the Utility to root. There are several versions of the utility...it depends on the system version you are running to determine which version of the utility to run to get back to stock and OTA to ICS (4.0.1) system version .211. Once you get there you use the RazrUtility 1.8 or 1.81 to root. The utilities in question are available in the section of the forum I think. I know 1.8 is available here. I can point you in the right direction if you need 1.6 or 1.7 to restore your current system version.

Jp the system version I am using is 6.11.744.xt912.Verizon.en.us . Is the razrutility an app or is it instructions on how to make this work? I have never heard of that. The root I used was the one that doomslord created if that helps. I rooted my phone when i got it which was has been a lil over a year.

As far as the apps I have deleted I am sure I can figure out which ones to restore if not ill just restore everything that I deleted through titan backup.

Hopefully ill be able to walk through this Im not sure how difficult this is. But I'm pretty good with directions.

Thanks for all the replys!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Jp the system version I am using is 6.11.744.xt912.Verizon.en.us . Is the razrutility an app or is it instructions on how to make this work? I have never heard of that. The root I used was the one that doomslord created if that helps. I rooted my phone when i got it which was has been a lil over a year.

As far as the apps I have deleted I am sure I can figure out which ones to restore if not ill just restore everything that I deleted through titan backup.

Hopefully ill be able to walk through this Im not sure how difficult this is. But I'm pretty good with directions.

Thanks for all the replys!

Gillard...the RazrUtility is an "app" that is downloaded from this forum or, depending on what versions are available, from another site. You download the .zip, extract it to its own folder (it must be extracted, you cannot execute the .bat file from within the zip). When running, it will give you several options...root, return to stock, install safestrap or bootstrap and several other options. Replace the missing apps and unroot. Let's not worry about root yet. After replacing the issing apps go to about phone and see if you can get an OTA update from Verizon. You may have to do an OTA several times before you finally get to 4.0.1 system version .211 (most current ICS for Razr). After you get to .211 then you can use the latest utility 1.8 to root. Let me know how the OTA goes. You must replace those missing apps, unroot and uninstall safestrap or bootstrap.

OP
G

Gillard71

Reaction score
jpcalhoun said:
Gillard...the RazrUtility is an "app" that is downloaded from this forum or, depending on what versions are available, from another site. You download the .zip, extract it to its own folder (it must be extracted, you cannot execute the .bat file from within the zip). When running, it will give you several options...root, return to stock, install safestrap or bootstrap and several other options. Replace the missing apps and unroot. Let's not worry about root yet. After replacing the issing apps go to about phone and see if you can get an OTA update from Verizon. You may have to do an OTA several times before you finally get to 4.0.1 system version .211 (most current ICS for Razr). After you get to .211 then you can use the latest utility 1.8 to root. Let me know how the OTA goes. You must replace those missing apps, unroot and uninstall safestrap or bootstrap.

Jp. Last night I was trying to restore the apps from the titanium backup app and for what ever reason the app keeps freezing while trying to restore them. Is there any other way to get the factory/needed apps back on the phone? Not sure what i could do.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Jp. Last night I was trying to restore the apps from the titanium backup app and for what ever reason the app keeps freezing while trying to restore them. Is there any other way to get the factory/needed apps back on the phone? Not sure what i could do.

What apps are we talking about. You may have to find the APK for those apps and place them in your system folder.

OP
G

Gillard71

Reaction score
Well i think it might be time to call my insurance and just pay for a new phone. This morning out of stupidity I had remebered that I backed up my phone and figured I would just restore my phone from the back up. For what ever reason while restoring the phone froze with an error and now my phone is bricked. Just the "Dual Core Technology" Sreen is froze up. Had a bad feeling about trying that but is what it is i guess. Im not sure if there is any way of getting it unbricked while rooted. It all is kind of turning into a mess.

Justin

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Well i think it might be time to call my insurance and just pay for a new phone. This morning out of stupidity I had remebered that I backed up my phone and figured I would just restore my phone from the back up. For what ever reason while restoring the phone froze with an error and now my phone is bricked. Just the "Dual Core Technology" Sreen is froze up. Had a bad feeling about trying that but is what it is i guess. Im not sure if there is any way of getting it unbricked while rooted. It all is kind of turning into a mess.

Justin
Well before you call your insurance try this. Turn the phone off and follow these instructions to get you into recovery.
  1. While device is powered off, hold both Volume Up and Volume Down key then press Power key to access Bootloader menu.
  2. Use Volume Down key to scroll the cursor onto "Recovery" then use Volume Up key to confirm to access official Recovery.
  3. Now you may see RED Motorola logo, wait a moment till you see the android robot with "!" triangle, please press both Volume Up and Volume Down key to access Recovery Menu.
  4. Now you can see BLUE RECOVERY MENU.
  5. Use Volume Down or UP key to scroll menu, Power key to confirm.
Once in recovery scroll down to wipe data...yes then wipe cache...yes then select reboot system. Use the volume keys to scroll and the power key to select. See if this get your phone working again.

OP
G

Gillard71

Reaction score
Well I did as instructed and no luck. Kinda sucks but I guess part of it. It is still just stuck on the Motorola Screen.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Well I did as instructed and no luck. Kinda sucks but I guess part of it. It is still just stuck on the Motorola Screen.
Ok, one last suggestion before I throw up my hands. Download and install RazrUtility 1.4. I'll probably have to send it to you because you'll not be able to find it anywhere else. I just happen to keep a copy of the older versions of the utility. PM me with an email address and I'll send it to you. After getting the file, extract it to its own folder you start the utility by executing the .bat file. On your phone selected debugging and when you connect your phone to your computer select usb setting as anything but mass storage. Place the phone in AP Fastboot mode (hold down volume up and down and press power button). You will get a black screen with white lettering. Connect your phone using the factory provided usb cable to your computer. If the computer wants to install drivers, let it. After drivers have been installed, using the volume keys, scroll to AP Fastboot and select with power key. The utility will give you a number of options, select option 1...restore phone to .173. If successful you will have your phone up and running and should at that point be able to replace the missing apps. Then, you can get the OTA updates (one at a time) from Verizon. Keep your fingers crossed. This is not going to screw your phone up any more than it already is. The utility will either work or it will error out...it will not do additional harm to your phone.