New to Android Want to Root

po0ch

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum and just purchased my Razr two days ago and am loving it so far I changed from a Blackberry to this. I have seen alot of posts and videos about rooting I want to do it but I am curious of what could go wrong I dont want to brick my phone. What are the chances of that happening? And what are some of the things I can do with a rooted phone? And what are ROMS, Is there a app like cydia equivalent for android how do I download roms and rooted apps? All the info I can get would be Awesome Thanks !

yoonssoo

Reaction score
There is always a risk of bricking your phone when you root. However with the largely available one click roots, if all you're doing ia rooting chances are you will be fine.
ROM is like an operating system for your phone. Like Windows for your computer.

The only problem with rooting a RAZR is that its sbf file has not been made available. Simply put, sbf file is a file that lets your phone go back to out of box(original) condition.

If all you're going to do is rooting and tinkering around with little bits here and there, rooting won't be a bad idea. But messing with ROM and stuff like that is not recommended because there is more risk. Furthermore there aren't many ROMs available for RAZR yet. I know of one so far...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
P

po0ch

Reaction score
Alright thank you I seen a video with a with a different way to scroll through his apps and stuff like that is there a seperate app market to get that from or do I download it on my own ?

yoonssoo

Reaction score
If you just want to tweak things like that, you don't need a root. Download launcher apps. Three that I can think of are ADW Launcher, Launcher Pro and GO Launcher. I'm using GO Launcher and I like it a lot... You can change all the icons, change the way you scroll pages and stuff like that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

OP
P

po0ch

Reaction score
Yea i the one the guy had made ir look 3d and stuff but i will go check out launcher apps thanks for the help

Sent from my XT910 using DroidForums

azdrifter

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum and just purchased my Razr two days ago and am loving it so far I changed from a Blackberry to this. I have seen alot of posts and videos about rooting I want to do it but I am curious of what could go wrong I dont want to brick my phone. What are the chances of that happening? And what are some of the things I can do with a rooted phone? And what are ROMS, Is there a app like cydia equivalent for android how do I download roms and rooted apps? All the info I can get would be Awesome Thanks !
Heres a link with two videos one on how to root and the second on how to un-root your Razr hope this helps.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-hacks/187187-rooting-guides.html