Rooted Razr Needing to update

OP
G

Gillard71

Reaction score
Jp. I Tried the process earlier this morning after the phone bricked and it still did not do anything. I actually found the process in another forum and just had to try it. With aggravation and stress w/o a phone I went a head and ordered a new one which will be here tomorrow morning. I hope this didn't affend you by me just taking the easy way out. But I do thank you for your time and intelligence in the since of helping trying to figure this out. If I had a phone for a back up I would have tried to go through this process multiple times but being phoneless for a day and a half with work and all is hard enough lol.

Im sure you will be hearing from me tomorrow in my process of rooting my ICS on my new razr tomorrow. Should come with the update I hope. Hopefully it is as simple as the gingerbread root process.

Thanks again for all yalls help!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Jp. I Tried the process earlier this morning after the phone bricked and it still did not do anything. I actually found the process in another forum and just had to try it. With aggravation and stress w/o a phone I went a head and ordered a new one which will be here tomorrow morning. I hope this didn't affend you by me just taking the easy way out. But I do thank you for your time and intelligence in the since of helping trying to figure this out. If I had a phone for a back up I would have tried to go through this process multiple times but being phoneless for a day and a half with work and all is hard enough lol.

Im sure you will be hearing from me tomorrow in my process of rooting my ICS on my new razr tomorrow. Should come with the update I hope. Hopefully it is as simple as the gingerbread root process.

Thanks again for all yalls help!
No problem Gillard...always glad to help if I can. I understand, you can only go so long with out your phone. I'm not sure if running any utility would have got you back on track. Good luck with your new phone. The first thing you should do is go to >about phone> and check for updates. Take the update if on is available. Your phone should be updated to 4.0.1 Ice Cream Sandwich and the system version should be .211. If you decide to root, the RazrUtility 1.82 (just updated) is the easiest and safest way that I know of. Here is the link for RazrUtility 1.81: Droid Razr Utility 1.82 [Windows] For Verizon Droid Razr/maxx Only - DroidRzr.com. There are other options in the utility other than root...especially good is a RESTORE option. Let me know how it goes.

EDIT: Do not delete anything, lol. Freeze it...there are a number of apps that will allow you do freeze...Titanium Backup Pro is a good one.

Last edited:
OP
G

Gillard71

Reaction score
JP sounds great man. Thanks for the link and tips. Rooting will be one of the first things I do when I get my phone. Now as far as back up what would be a good app or just phone backup/restore process so the same thing doesn't happen when another update comes out. Im sure there will be a few more updates until my contract renews and I purchase a new phone.

Just don't want the same thing to happen with new one as the last one. For one I guess i will leave most original apps on there that will be needed to update or can I back up with the original unrooted phone layout and apps and restore when need be to update?

Thanks,

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
JP sounds great man. Thanks for the link and tips. Rooting will be one of the first things I do when I get my phone. Now as far as back up what would be a good app or just phone backup/restore process so the same thing doesn't happen when another update comes out. Im sure there will be a few more updates until my contract renews and I purchase a new phone.

Just don't want the same thing to happen with new one as the last one. For one I guess i will leave most original apps on there that will be needed to update or can I back up with the original unrooted phone layout and apps and restore when need be to update?

Thanks,
Here is the first thing(s) I would do with a new phone:
1. Fully charge the phone
2. Check for updates and take if there is one
3. Before downloading anything (other than a possible update) do a factory reset. Then do another factory reset
4. If you want to root, download and install to your computer RazrUtility 1.82 from the link above and root
5. Use the utility to install Over The Air Root Keeper. Or you can get from Play Store. Install, backup root.
6. Download Titanium Backup Pro...great app for backups and freezing apps etc
7. If you want a system backup then you need something like Safestrap...also available in the utility. Safestrap will also allow you to flash ROMs if you want.
8. Download and install the other apps that you want from Play Store.
9. When the next OTA comes out you can temporarily unroot using Root Keeper, take the update and then re-root with Root Keeper using your root backup...works 99% of the time.

OP
G

Gillard71

Reaction score
Sounds good I will go that route. Once again thanks for the help and advice.

OP
G

Gillard71

Reaction score
JP,

Got the new phone in yesterday with the ICS update and tried to root it but have some issues with the rooting process. I did as instructed and down loading the 1.82 download and set my phone to enable usb debugging and put my phone into fastboot mode as well. I also installed the needed driver that worked with my computer (32).

When i go to run the root installation and go into option 2 of the installatoin to root i get a error that says " 'Adb' is not recongnized as an internal or external comand, operable program or batch file". Do you happen to know what I may be doing wrong or leaving out.

Thought this seemed pretty simple but as usual I manage to make them harder then they are. lol

Thanks

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
JP,

Got the new phone in yesterday with the ICS update and tried to root it but have some issues with the rooting process. I did as instructed and down loading the 1.82 download and set my phone to enable usb debugging and put my phone into fastboot mode as well. I also installed the needed driver that worked with my computer (32).

When i go to run the root installation and go into option 2 of the installatoin to root i get a error that says " 'Adb' is not recongnized as an internal or external comand, operable program or batch file". Do you happen to know what I may be doing wrong or leaving out.

Thought this seemed pretty simple but as usual I manage to make them harder then they are. lol

Thanks
That error usually means the motorola drivers are outdated, not installed or not installed correctly. Inside the utility zip file there is a "drivers" folder...those are the most updated drivers. Make sure you install the right drivers, 32 bit or 64 bit...it makes a difference depending on the version of Windows on your PC. You can uninstall the existing drivers by going into "about software" in control panel and uninstalling the Motorola drivers and then install the correct drivers provided in the utility zip folder. Hope this helps.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
JP,

Thanks
I didn't think of this during my last response. I'm not sure it makes a difference but, you don't have to be in AP Fastboot to run the root option. You just need to have usb debugging on and allow installation from unknown sources (menu>settings>security>unknow sources). I'm not sure if "unknown sources" needs to be enabled for root, but you'll find sooner or later to install/flash etc you'll eventually need to turn that on depending on the source of the app.