Want to root new phone on 6.12.181 -- should I take OTA 6.16.211 first?

OP
Jayfore

Jayfore

Reaction score
If you are rooted with no rom, then to get the OTA you will need to defrost/enable any stock apps that are frozen/disabled and temporarily unroot using Voodoo rootkeeper to get the OTA.

OK, so this must be a function of the 1.81 utility -- you can disable a bunch of the junk apps that Verizon/Moto puts on the phone? That would be great. Is this an easy process? Since this is my work phone, I don't want to mess it up... So I need to ask a lot of questions. Thanks!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Jayfore, you can disable most of the bloatware and even uninstall some if you are on ICS and not rooted. Go to settings, apps, then along top go to "all apps." Go to the bloatware apps (ie. Mog music, motoactv, slacker, vehicle mode, vz navigator, lots) and in the upper right will be the option to disable. Some of the stock bloatware apps you have to uninstall the updates before you are able to disable. One of the best ICS features there is. Happy disabling!

OP
Jayfore

Jayfore

Reaction score
Jayfore, you can disable most of the bloatware and even uninstall some if you are on ICS and not rooted. Go to settings, apps, then along top go to "all apps." Go to the bloatware apps (ie. Mog music, motoactv, slacker, vehicle mode, vz navigator, lots) and in the upper right will be the option to disable. Some of the stock bloatware apps you have to uninstall the updates before you are able to disable. One of the best ICS features there is. Happy disabling!

Thanks! I had done some of that, but didn't know enough about some of these apps to be OK with disabling them. I just disabled the ones you mentioned. I just wish there was a way to totally get rid of them. Do I need to re-enable these before accepting an OTA update or anything?

Speaking of updates, I think it was my update to ICS that got me Swype. Or it may have been a supplemental Verizon update right after. The stock keyboard sucks and was driving me nuts... I love Swype, and had hoped to get it on my phone. It was really a pleasant surprise when it showed up, but I really don't know what update installed it for me -- I'm pretty sure it was not a standalone installer of any kind. Does anybody know where it would have come from? I'm sure it wasn't on here when I got the phone, and pretty sure it didn't appear as part of my ICS upgrade. Thanks!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
If you are still not rooted, then any bloat app that gives you the option to disable is safe to disable. And there are some of the bloat games (golf and I think madden football or whatever it is) even allow you the option to uninstall them.

And yes, still have swype with all of the updates. I love Swype!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

OP
Jayfore

Jayfore

Reaction score
If you are still not rooted, then any bloat app that gives you the option to disable is safe to disable. And there are some of the bloat games (golf and I think madden football or whatever it is) even allow you the option to uninstall them.

Not rooted yet. A recommendation was to hold off for a bit, thinking that maybe a new OTA update would be coming out in the next week or so. So far, nothing yet, but still keeping my eyes peeled.

So, just to make sure I understand... If I am rooted, I need to re-enable all the bloat apps before I accept the OTA update. Is that correct? If I am not rooted yet, I can do it now, using the 1.81 utility, and it should work without a hitch. Once an OTA update is available, see first point. Is this correct? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Jayfore said:
Not rooted yet. A recommendation was to hold off for a bit, thinking that maybe a new OTA update would be coming out in the next week or so. So far, nothing yet, but still keeping my eyes peeled.

So, just to make sure I understand... If I am rooted, I need to re-enable all the bloat apps before I accept the OTA update. Is that correct? If I am not rooted yet, I can do it now, using the 1.81 utility, and it should work without a hitch. Once an OTA update is available, see first point. Is this correct? Am I missing anything?

Thanks!
Lets see...

If you stay stock ICS then any apps you disable are safe to disable and you should be able to get the OTA without having to re-enable them.

If you are on stock ICS .211 now, and want to root or plan to root, then you should install the .215 leak first (much better). Then use the 1.81 utility or the 1.8 utility to root. Once rooted, to get the OTA, you would have to re-enable/defrost all your disabled/frozen apps then unroot to get the OTA (basically return to stock to get the OTA).