xt912 4.0.4 rooting?

hevm786

Reaction score
I'm new to rooting and have researched about it a lot. After researching, i decided to root my DROID RAZR xt912. I just updated my phone to ics and have system version 6.16.211 running. I cannot find any reliable instructions on rooting my xt912 razr running ics with system version 6.16.211. I'm new to rooting, this will be he first android that i will root. I do not wanna brick my phone so i meed reliable instructions. Thanks in advance!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I'm new to rooting and have researched about it a lot. After researching, i decided to root my DROID RAZR xt912. I just updated my phone to ics and have system version 6.16.211 running. I cannot find any reliable instructions on rooting my xt912 razr running ics with system version 6.16.211. I'm new to rooting, this will be he first android that i will root. I do not wanna brick my phone so i meed reliable instructions. Thanks in advance!
In the sticky above you will see a thread "RazrUtility" by Matt G, version 1.7. Download the .zip file and extract it to its own folder on our C:\\. Download and install the latest Motorola drivers (I think they are included in the Utility also). Connect your Razr to your computer using the USB/Charge cable that came with the phone. Once connected make sure you have selected USB debugging on your phone and selected a USB connection on your phone to anything other than Mass Storage. Once you've made these settings on your phone start the utility by double clicking the .bat file located in the folder you extracted the zip to. Select Option 3 in the utility and follow the on screen instructions and make sure you wait until the on screen instructions report successful. Unplug your phone and you are rooted.

OP
H

hevm786

Reaction score
Where do i download the razrutility 1.7. Also, what are the chances of my phone bricking? Have you tried this method on an xt912? Sorry for all the questions i just dont want my phone to brick. I cant afford that.

210droid

Reaction score
its made for the razr XT912. works great. just FOLLOW the instructions!!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Where do i download the razrutility 1.7. Also, what are the chances of my phone bricking? Have you tried this method on an xt912? Sorry for all the questions i just dont want my phone to brick. I cant afford that.
You find the utility in this forum, just look a few threads above this one...like I said. If you follow my instructions and the on screen instructions provided in the utility the chances of you bricking your phone are slim to none. Yes, I have the same phone as you and have used this method, without a single problem, several times. If you are uncomfortable rooting your phone then take your time, do some more research and then proceed. The utility I have recommended is the safest, easiest and most used method that I know of.

OP
H

hevm786

Reaction score
ok thank you sooo much. you have no idea how much tiem you saved me. i have one last question. i downloaded the razrutility 1.7, but i dont think that i have the latest drivers installed. where can i download them? will they automatically download once i plug my phone into my computer?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
ok thank you sooo much. you have no idea how much tiem you saved me. i have one last question. i downloaded the razrutility 1.7, but i dont think that i have the latest drivers installed. where can i download them? will they automatically download once i plug my phone into my computer?
When I first used the utility widows automatically found the updated drivers and installed them. To be safe go to the Motorola web site, find your phone and look for the updated drivers...I think their under the customer support tab. Here is the web site:https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_detail/a_id/78026/p/30,6720,8112

OP
H

hevm786

Reaction score
If i root my razr, will all of my stuff get deleted? Like my pics, apps, accounts, texts etc?

OP
H

hevm786

Reaction score
Ok, so i started rooting my RAZR. I had USB debugging mode on, i was in mtp mode, allowed non market apps to make changes, downloaded the latest drivers...everything i am supposed to. So i started the utility program and started the root, but the program stayed at "waiting for device". I read online that many others were having the same problem.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Ok, so i started rooting my RAZR. I had USB debugging mode on, i was in mtp mode, allowed non market apps to make changes, downloaded the latest drivers...everything i am supposed to. So i started the utility program and started the root, but the program stayed at "waiting for device". I read online that many others were having the same problem.
hevm786, sorry you're having problems. I just read this on another forum by Matt G (the developer who wrote RazrUtility)... "Motorola Drivers are screwed up. The utility works fine on most computers but Motorola's latest drivers for some reason are not working on some, not an issue with how I made the utility." You my need to wait until a new set of Motorola drivers are released. I am not familiar with another method of rooting the razr at this time.

rotordroid

Reaction score

The Utility has a sub-folder labeled "Drivers". I loaded the drivers found there and that solved the "Waiting for device" problem.

OP
H

hevm786

Reaction score
How long do you estimate until new drivers? So i cant root my razr?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
How long do you estimate until new drivers? So i cant root my razr?
See rotodroid's comments just above your last post about drivers. I don't know what drivers you downloaded, but he installed the drivers that came with the Utility and that worked for him. You might give that a try. I don't know of another method of rooting the Razr...that's not to say there isn't one.

OP
H

hevm786

Reaction score
When i plugged in my phone to my computer, it updated the drivers, and i also downloaded them from Motorola's website. Even the drivers with the utility pack don't work.

balticzar

Reaction score
In the sticky above you will see a thread "RazrUtility" by Matt G, version 1.7. Download the .zip file and extract it to its own folder on our C:\\. Download and install the latest Motorola drivers (I think they are included in the Utility also). Connect your Razr to your computer using the USB/Charge cable that came with the phone. Once connected make sure you have selected USB debugging on your phone and selected a USB connection on your phone to anything other than Mass Storage. Once you've made these settings on your phone start the utility by double clicking the .bat file located in the folder you extracted the zip to. Select Option 3 in the utility and follow the on screen instructions and make sure you wait until the on screen instructions report successful. Unplug your phone and you are rooted.

I've been trying this method for the past couple days and following it to the letter for my ICS 4.0.4 version. I keep getting "The System Cannot Find The Path Specified."
Any clue how to address this? Would really love to get my root back. Thanks.