Razr Maxx HD vs. Galaxy s3

huskur

Reaction score
No I haven't I received the notification about 3 days ago but haven't taken lol. I'll do it today cuz that was my concern, was the radio update in it. If it wasn't it was of no use to me, didn't care about the remote diagnostic stuff, etc.

Tippy Tappin on Tapatalk with Sammy's S3

Previously to the update I installed the new radio from xda-developers site because of the signal issues. I was ready to get rid of it and go back to my Maxx. Luckily I stumbled on the updated radio that solved all the problems. Then the update came out and I could not upgrade to it because I had installed the new radio and that was making it fail. I reverted back to the original radio and then took the update and "voila" the new radio was in it. It should help you immensely

brucebanner77

Reaction score
Previously to the update I installed the new radio from xda-developers site because of the signal issues. I was ready to get rid of it and go back to my Maxx. Luckily I stumbled on the updated radio that solved all the problems. Then the update came out and I could not upgrade to it because I had installed the new radio and that was making it fail. I reverted back to the original radio and then took the update and "voila" the new radio was in it. It should help you immensely

I'm not rooted, I cant just take the radio zip/apk. Or are u saying the radio is in the OTA. (just trying to clarify, I'm noob to this stuff )

OP
SynysterBurns91
Reaction score
Are the radios undoubtedly better with the Motorola line vs Gs3? Or is it pretty close?? Because if the only clear advantage of the HD Maxx is the battery, then ill probably go for Galaxy s3 if not for the fact that it has better longevity (more RAM...replaceable battery...better camera....etc).

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Are the radios undoubtedly better with the Motorola line vs Gs3? Or is it pretty close?? Because if the only clear advantage of the HD Maxx is the battery, then ill probably go for Galaxy s3 if not for the fact that it has better longevity (more RAM...replaceable battery...better camera....etc).

its closer than u think@ radios

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ambrown

Reaction score
I'm actually due for an upgrade as well and considering my options. I've never been a huge fan of Samsung but I find the S3 compelling. In the end though I'm leaning Motorola for my next upgrade. I'm kind of holding out for the holidays though to see if they'll run some deals to get me some extra data since I'll have to ditch my unlimited plan. By then all the upcoming devices should be available too, including the rumored Droid Incredible X and possibly a new Nexus(Nexuses?). Either way though waiting is probably the best bet. Unless you're dead set on the S3 for your next device. Still, since you have to live with your choice for the next two years it might be worth a wait.

From my Eris (rooted 2.1) using Droid Forums

huskur

Reaction score
I'm not rooted, I cant just take the radio zip/apk. Or are u saying the radio is in the OTA. (just trying to clarify, I'm noob to this stuff )

You do not need to be rooted to update the radio. It's done through "odin". Odin is a program like RSD Lite that Moto uses.

brucebanner77

Reaction score
You do not need to be rooted to update the radio. It's done through "odin". Odin is a program like RSD Lite that Moto uses.

I went ahead and took the OTA. Hope it helps

OP
SynysterBurns91
Reaction score
Considering its down to RAZR Maxx HD and Gs3 for me, is there really a point in me waiting for the Maxx HD? It sounds to me like the only true advantage is the battery life...and I only use my phone fairly heavily for two or three hours our of the day. So its not that big of a factor.

revelated

Reaction score
I wish there was a clear winner...

There is.

DO you want your battery to last ridiculously long? Go with the MAXX as it has no peer in the mobile phone arena.

Do you hate stock Android? Go with the Galaxy since it's got Touchwiz.

Do you want the best reception? Go with the Motorola, they are untouchable.

Do you hate PenTile/want a TRUE HD phone? Go with the Galaxy.

Do you want timely updates? Skip them both.

Raw Dodge

Reaction score
Get the s3,the razr will be a year old phone in another month... I've got both and the s3s bigger screen,way more efficient processor and ram alone is reason enough, the replaceable battery is the icing on the cake.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is.

DO you want your battery to last ridiculously long? Go with the MAXX as it has no peer in the mobile phone arena.

Do you hate stock Android? Go with the Galaxy since it's got Touchwiz.

Do you want the best reception? Go with the Motorola, they are untouchable.

Do you hate PenTile/want a TRUE HD phone? Go with the Galaxy.

Do you want timely updates? Skip them both.

id hardly call Motorola as the best reception but I guess that's just my opinion

OP
SynysterBurns91
Reaction score
Considering my only smartphone so far has been the Droid X, its tough to say whether or not I'd like Touchwiz. What does Touchwiz add to stock android, exactly?? Also, with what we know about the Razr Maxx HD screen, how will it compare to the screen on the Gs3? Get as specific as you need to :)

Its been really helpful coming here. Most of my friends are iPhone people (sadly), so they're the last people I can go to for advice with this. :p. So to everyone here, thank you!

geoff5093

Reaction score
I really like The RAZR MAXX HD for the incredible battery life and durability, but the Note 2 has a 3100mAh battery as well so it's a tough call.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I really like The RAZR MAXX HD for the incredible battery life and durability, but the Note 2 has a 3100mAh battery as well so it's a tough call.

wondering how the note2 battery will fare with the quad core and huge screen but its definitely a phone I can go for

rbess1965

Reaction score
I had a Samsung Droid Charge which obviously is not a GS3 by any means but switched from that to the Maxx. The switch was night and day for me. Call quality, signal strength, bluetooth & data connections, build, hdmi out. The battery was just icing on the cake. Everything about this phone is so much better than what Samsung builds. The Samsung Nexus radio issues only further supported my opinions on Motorola. The fact that your even questioning a GS3 means you should at least wait a while longer so you can test both and be sure. I would no doubt go Moto if I could get it without loosing my unlimited data, but because I would, I am very content with this Maxx for years to come.

Sent using the amazing DROID RAZR MAXX