Razr Maxx HD vs. Galaxy s3

OP
SynysterBurns91
Reaction score
Considering I'd be coming from a Droid X, I have a decent understanding of what to expect from Motorola. That being said, my experience with Samsung is non-existent, and I didn't want to throw the Gs3 out just because it wasn't Motorola. Honestly, if it came down to the Razr Maxx and Gs3, I'd go with Samsung for its longevity. But the Razr Maxx HD is a whole different phone...and its only downside at this point is the 1 GB of RAM difference. And the camera. I'm just curious as to whether or not that extra 1 GB would make a huge difference with everyday tasks.

tc1

Reaction score
id hardly call Motorola as the best reception but I guess that's just my opinion

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I've had pretty much every different phone maker(on Verizon at least).

And by far motorola gather best build quality and radios/reception of them all.

I have an HTC rezound now and it's a really good phone, but I'm still going back to Motorola when the maxx hd's gets released even though I'll have to pay full retail for it.

bgillyjcu

Reaction score
Sam Boat

I'm in the same Boat! Droid X user, wife has the Rezound.

I'm considering the S3, but kind of want to see if the Razr HD is better.

The only 1gb of ram and average camera scare me away from Razr HD.

But the Call Quality and Signal Strength also scare me away from the S3.

What to do...

OP
SynysterBurns91
Reaction score
that's where I'm at right now. I'm leaning Razr Maxx HD now...but the lack of that one gig of RAM is bothering me. And like you said, the camera as well. I imagine they wouldn't release a phone that doesn't handle its tasks really well...but its hard to say. Ill need to play around with it once it comes out, I think... because that battery, in addition to the radios and sturdiness would be really tough to pass up.

bgillyjcu

Reaction score
The battery life to me is a draw. Even though the HD Maxx will have a monster 3300, if I had two S3 batteries, since they are removable, I would in theory have a 4200!!

How about compared to the Droid Incredible X. That thing could be a beast, or if it is anything like the incredible 4g it could be a bust.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
The battery life to me is a draw. Even though the HD Maxx will have a monster 3300, if I had two S3 batteries, since they are removable, I would in theory have a 4200!!

or an extended battery or a case with a built in battery

ambrown

Reaction score
As far as Android skins by manufacturers I'm pretty familiar with HTC and Motorola, but have only had some contact with touchwiz. I liked HTC Sense a lot but even it wasn't perfect. I recently used a Motorola phone with their tamer version of motoblur and was actually quite impressed with it. I never liked touchwiz and it always felt clunky or too iPhone-like in places. But I haven't used it extensively and have never owned a Samsung device so I can't say it's all horrible.

The only thing that brings the Razr HD down compared to the S3 is the camera. Samsung has always gotten pretty high praise in the camera department while Motorola tends to get criticism for the camera. But even still I'm heavily considering my next phone being a Motorola phone...unless the Incredible X is a show stealer, or the next nexus comes out with amazing specs.

Ultimately December is going to be huge in the holiday spending on phones this year as many awesome devices are out, and some coming October and more in November. I'm just biding my time and hanging onto my upgrade (even though it's really hard to not upgrade since I just became eligible for an upgrade). But in the meantime I'm trying to avoid the mobile section at Best Buy since I know awesome stuff is coming down the pipeline very soon.

From my Eris (rooted 2.1) using Droid Forums

Last edited:

geoff5093

Reaction score

How about compared to the Droid Incredible X. That thing could be a beast, or if it is anything like the incredible 4g it could be a bust.
It's not even close to being the same though. How much more of a hassle is it to carry two batteries around with you? And also have to power down your phone to replace the batteries when you are in the middle of using it?

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's not even close to being the same though. How much more of a hassle is it to carry two batteries around with you? And also have to power down your phone to replace the batteries when you are in the middle of using it?

don't act like its a tbolt that ur swapping batteries every 4 hrs lol... extra batteries and an external charger is far more of a benefit for me than having to leave it charging at some point... plus there's plenty of extended batteries or battery cases to choose from.. and a 20ish second boot time is hardly a big deal

these removable battery debates are so Android vs apple... except that moto actually installed a huge battery... unfortunately battery isn't the only deciding factor as the s3 wins in most other categories

ambrown

Reaction score
As far as the battery debate goes I would like the option of a removable battery more than an integrated one. But the Razr HD Maxx has a big enough battery I don't see that being a huge deal. I generally wouldn't go for battery swapping just because it is a huge nuisance, even with fast boot times. I'd rather plug into an outlet to keep using my phone. I think perhaps there may be those that want to have access to do that but as batteries get better that will no longer be an issue. And for most regular users the battery on the Maxx will be enough.

I like the thought of being able to replace my own battery, or doing a battery pull to reset. But the only maximizing-of-battery-life reason I'd have for needing access to the battery is to add an extended battery to a poorly performing phone.

From my Eris (rooted 2.1) using Droid Forums

RazorbackFan

Reaction score
I thought I would chime in here. I too was debating between the Razr HD/Maxx HD OR the SGS3. After the recent rumor about the antenna issues I decided to give the S3 a shot. It is unbelievably fast, has a remarkable display and awesome camera. What it seems to come down to is always personal preference, but like me I assume the OP likes to be somewhat led in the right direction by others in the know. I would say that the big concerns for me are: battery life (im always in my office and can charge but don't want to HAVE to), display quality (not as much as size), speed, and camera. I have 2 small children and I use the camera on the 4S at least a couple of times a day and I have yet to see a differnt phone that compares...until now--S3, it's fantastic. It definitely has the speed, but I think that the razr HD will have equivalent speed. The display is second to none; bright and crisp. Now, that leads us to battery. I just picked it up last night so I have been installing apps and setting up mail, contacts etc. so I won't know what the actual battery life for my uses are until the next couple of days in a normal work week. Also, I'm not a big fan of TouchWiz...the Razr HD is supposed to have Blur, but a very cut-down version of blur, very close to stock android or so I've read. We really won't know until it comes out. I can say this, the SGS3 is a great phone and the whole battery thing is easily remedied with an extra battery or hopefully the option of an extended battery that is produced from Samsung. Lastly, I have to agree with the poster that mentioned build. The SGS3 is extremely thin and light (and curved) while the Razr HD/MAXX HD will be the standard motorola rectangular shapes which I personally like better; it just feels a little better. Good luck with your decision.

OP
SynysterBurns91
Reaction score
That was an incredibly helpful post, thank you! Ultimately, the decision was made for me. My Droid X has all but officially died on me... and the GS3 is the only thing out right now that I would be willing to get. Your post made me feel a whole lot better about it :)

If you could report your initial battery results, that would be fantastic :)

Lcall

Reaction score
Hey all. Every one doing good today?
Suprise suprise i am now waiting to get my 6th replacement phone. So one more month of pure frustration before I can get out of droid 3
Hell. Does the s3 have front and rear cameras? Does anyone have an idea of the battery life that the upcoming razr max hd will have.

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Lcall said:
Hey all. Every one doing good today?
Suprise suprise i am now waiting to get my 6th replacement phone. So one more month of pure frustration before I can get out of droid 3
Hell. Does the s3 have front and rear cameras? Does anyone have an idea of the battery life that the upcoming razr max hd will have.

The RAZR hd max will be similar to the RAZR Maxx. 20 to 30 hours depending on use I'd say