razr maxx hd or gs3

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The International GS3's are all quad core with 1gb RAM, US GS3's are all dual core 1.5 S4 with 2gb of RAM - why? I have no idea... but I don't mind honestly, I think that 2gb of RAM will come in more handy than a quad core processor, especially when the S4 is great already. In 1+ year, maybe having the quad core will be more beneficial, but for now I'll take the RAM.

MacLeod

Reaction score
Totally agree. I'm an avid PC builder/gamer/overclocker and know how important enough RAM is. I'd rather have a dual core proc and 2GB of RAM than a quad and 1GB. Running out of RAM will cause lockups, shutdowns, slowdowns and all kinds of other nasty annoying stuff. Obviously it's best to have both like my beloved Note 2 but if I had to choose I'll take the RAM.

Well since I was wrong about the GS3's CPU, I'll change y recommendation and say it should be the choice. The Maxx still has the better battery but the GS3 has a removable battery and you can buy a 4100 mha battery for it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
You are unlikely to need more than 1GB of RAM since there are no applications that are 1GB large.
1GB vs 2GB is sort of academic.

Buy the phone you like.
Either is a good phone with basically the same internals.
Neither will be faster on synthetic benchmarks.

xmguy

Reaction score
The International GS3's are all quad core with 1gb RAM, US GS3's are all dual core 1.5 S4 with 2gb of RAM - why? I have no idea... but I don't mind honestly, I think that 2gb of RAM will come in more handy than a quad core processor, especially when the S4 is great already. In 1+ year, maybe having the quad core will be more beneficial, but for now I'll take the RAM.

I agree. I like the Razr Maxx HD ok. The ONLY issue with me is an ongoing ear piece issue where it distorts at mid volume. Have had over 8 of them all do it within a few days.

But I have over 325 APPS. So My average memory in RAM is usually 100-200 MBs left after all the apps are running. Less with some intensive apps. But I'd MUCH rather have more RAM than a higher core processor. Example as of right now I have 732 MB used and 102 MB free.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You are unlikely to need more than 1GB of RAM since there are no applications that are 1GB large.
1GB vs 2GB is sort of academic.

Buy the phone you like.
Either is a good phone with basically the same internals.
Neither will be faster on synthetic benchmarks.

Well it probably helps if you have something massive built into the system... like, say, Touchwiz in all it's glory. :) That UI hogs a LOT...

MacLeod

Reaction score
You don't really "need" screen more than 1GB now but since you're stuck with the phone for 2 years, it'll be nice to have. Websites are getting increasingly more demanding with all their flash animation and such and apps will become more demanding as time goes on as well. Not saying 2GB will be a necessity in 2 years but it would be nice to have just in case.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
ICS was withheld from devices for RAM reasons... so having 2gb of RAM can definitely help future-proof.

xmguy

Reaction score
ICS was withheld from devices for RAM reasons... so having 2gb of RAM can definitely help future-proof.

I agree 100%. Honestly I think Motorola undersold the RAM issue in the HD for more internal storage. Which doesn't make since because of the expandable memory slot. I find myself continually closing apps using the app switcher (swiping the apps closed) to gain memory.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx HD using Droid Forums

Hodor

Reaction score
Almost every one here is a power user and by the time comes that you REALLY need 2 gig of ram we will be all drooling over some other phone. Just like PC's, manufacturers tend to match hardware to the currently available operating systems. 1 gig is fine as long as you use your head and be careful with what apps you use (and REALLY need, as opposed to just WANT).

To me, what's key is battery life, and this phone has ALL others beat hands down. This thing is a BEAST!! I am a heavy user and I have NEVER had a phone before this one that I didn't have to charge every day. My confidence level regarding cell phones in general has vastly increased because of this phone. For once I am not worried when I go to use it to make a call about being near a charging source. To me it is still a phone, that's it's primary use, and this phone is EXCEPTIONAL!

Osco

Reaction score
Ok my observations.

The Razr Maxx HD is my FIRST smart phone. My Job wanted us to use company scanning/tracking software so I had to get one.
There are 16 guys at work with all kinds of phones from cheap to GS3, and even an I Phone. I am the only one with any kind of Motorolla.

Our work program tracks us and what we do....
All the other phones have to be outside In 'Direct line of sight' for the sattelite to find them,,
not mine I can be inside the building up to about 10 feet from the outter door. It takes some time to find me but it does.
My Company program loads/starts noticably faster than even the GS3,
My Scanner picks up our bar codes the Instant I move the camera over one, the other phones,,all of them take time to focus and record the bar code,,seconds.
My Data downloads and uploads are never over 2 seconds, half that Is the link up. The others,,yep the GS3 and the Apple, almost always over 3 seconds and often 4....

They tell me I was a fool for spending so much, often $100 more than they did,,except for the price of the I-Phone which I think Is a total rip off..

The other guys charge each day and only a few times have they made two days on a charge,,I charge twice to get through the five day work week.
If I don't use it much on the weekend I charge twice a week.....

I like it..

The other prefered phone is the GS3, the Apple guy is often having minor trouble but it works...

Maybe Its the 4G,, I dunno, my phone is most likely smarter than I am XD

3L1

Reaction score
Only 32GB card for RAZR Maxx HD?...I'm successfully using a 64GB card.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx HD using Tapatalk 2