1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

razr maxx hd or gs3

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX HD' started by spideyx24, Feb 1, 2013.

1. spideyx24

spideyx24 New Member

I have an upgrade and I have been on my droid x for a long time. I am not sure what phone I should get. Someone give me advice. I can't tell what I should get between the galaxy s3 or the razr maxx hd. Or suggest another phone. Idk. Please help. Thank you.
  2. spideyx24

spideyx24 New Member

Oh and I like rooting and rom switching. Idk if that helps decide between phones.
  3. scottysize

scottysize Active Member

Tried the S3 for 2 weeks. Hated it. It was way too big and too slow. It wasn't a good experience. Battery life was horrendous. 2 weeks into it I dropped it from the back of a bumper because it wouldn't fit in my pocket.

I switch to the Maxx HD and love it! It's an outstanding phone, fast, and works well.
  4. spideyx24

spideyx24 New Member

What about dev work with other roms?
  5. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Well-Known Member

I don't have an S3, I have a RazMaxx. My son and my sister in-law have an S3 and are always complaining of static on phone calls, dropped calls and horrible battery life, in comparison to my Maxx. When it comes to build quality, radio an antenna configuration and reliability you can't beat Motorola. The Maxx HD is a new phone, there will be plenty of ROMs available given a little time for the Dev's to develop them.
  6. turbodave

turbodave Member

My best friend has an S3, and I'm using my recently acquired MAXX HD. I've used his phone. Sure the display is nice enough, but most calls are lower in quality/sound, and the biggy..... His battery life sucks. He has to charge his S3 every single night. I charge my MAXX HD once every 3rd night.
  7. spideyx24

spideyx24 New Member

Do you guys enjoy the soft keys on the screen? That seems to bother me a bit. Idk.
  8. jber8103

jber8103 New Member

I love the soft keys on the screen! I wore out my soft keys on the x2, so, less to repair I think!
  9. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

I've had a RAZR maxx and now have the s3. IMO the s3 is superior in every way except battery life of course. S3 has a decent battery too though. I get 12-18 hours of heavy use.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  10. MacLeod

MacLeod New Member

I looked at both when I was shopping for my upgrade and I liked the Maxx HD better. Better battery, better CPU, better radio and better build quality. The camera on the GS3 is light years ahead of the Maxx tho but that's the only real drawback along with a slightly smaller screen but the Maxx still comes out on top IMO.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.
  11. turbodave

turbodave Member

Not exactly the comparison the OP was asking for. He wanted to know the pros and cons of the S3 vs. the RAZR MAXX HD, NOT the RAZR MAXX. And no, they're not the same phone.
  12. MacLeod

MacLeod New Member

Yup. The HD has a better and faster processor and better screen. It's a much better phone. It was my 2nd choice behind my beloved Note 2.

13. jamjr74

jamjr74 Member

Yes I know they are not the same phone but they are very similar! Hd has better screen and processor I know but still similar. HD Maxx is a great phone no doubt but just stating my opinion. Maxx has better build quality and is a more solid device however it is heavier which is a pro or con depending on the user. S3 has bigger screen and 2gb or ram vs the 1gb of ram on the HD. Both have expandable memory sd slots (up to 32gb for Maxx and 64gb for s3). S3 has the better camera hands down. Both phone have a 1.5 ghz dual core processor. You can't go wrong with either phone!!!! Go to the store and get the feel for them, whatever one suits your style better is the way to go!!!
  14. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator Premium Member

The S3 and Maxx HD have the same S4 processor and adreno 225 GPU. The GS3 has twice the RAM, so you could argue it has better internals overall.

The screen on the Maxx HD definitely gets brighter and dimmer - has a wider range. With regard to it being "better", well that's subjective - the colors tend to look a little different on each.
  15. MacLeod

MacLeod New Member

Really? I thought the GS3 had the same CPU as the OG Maxx. I knew the GS3 has 1GB more RAM which is very important especially as websites and apps get more demanding but I thought it had a slower clocked previous generation proc as opposed to the 1.5 GHz newer chip in the Moto. I did a quick Google (I'm at work) but all that ever pops up is the quad core versions for some reason. I know the OG Maxx has the older proc so maybe I'm just getting the two mixed up.

16. jntdroid

The International GS3's are all quad core with 1gb RAM, US GS3's are all dual core 1.5 S4 with 2gb of RAM - why? I have no idea... but I don't mind honestly, I think that 2gb of RAM will come in more handy than a quad core processor, especially when the S4 is great already. In 1+ year, maybe having the quad core will be more beneficial, but for now I'll take the RAM.
  17. MacLeod

MacLeod New Member

Totally agree. I'm an avid PC builder/gamer/overclocker and know how important enough RAM is. I'd rather have a dual core proc and 2GB of RAM than a quad and 1GB. Running out of RAM will cause lockups, shutdowns, slowdowns and all kinds of other nasty annoying stuff. Obviously it's best to have both like my beloved Note 2 but if I had to choose I'll take the RAM.

Well since I was wrong about the GS3's CPU, I'll change y recommendation and say it should be the choice. The Maxx still has the better battery but the GS3 has a removable battery and you can buy a 4100 mha battery for it.

18. tech_head

tech_head New Member

You are unlikely to need more than 1GB of RAM since there are no applications that are 1GB large.
    1GB vs 2GB is sort of academic.

Buy the phone you like.
    Either is a good phone with basically the same internals.
    Neither will be faster on synthetic benchmarks.
  19. xmguy

xmguy New Member

I agree. I like the Razr Maxx HD ok. The ONLY issue with me is an ongoing ear piece issue where it distorts at mid volume. Have had over 8 of them all do it within a few days.

But I have over 325 APPS. So My average memory in RAM is usually 100-200 MBs left after all the apps are running. Less with some intensive apps. But I'd MUCH rather have more RAM than a higher core processor. Example as of right now I have 732 MB used and 102 MB free.
  20. jntdroid

Well it probably helps if you have something massive built into the system... like, say, Touchwiz in all it's glory. :) That UI hogs a LOT...
Search tags for this page

droid razr hd vs galaxy s3

droid razr maxx hd vs galaxy s3

droid razr maxx hd vs samsung galaxy s3
galaxy s3 vs razr hd

gs3 or razr maxx hd

gs3 vs razr maxx hd

razr maxx hd vs galaxy s3

razr maxx hd vs gs3

razr maxx hd vs s3
razr maxx vs s3
s3 vs maxx hd