Razr Maxx HD vs. Galaxy s3

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
...or another way to explain it, water resistant means that it will repel water if it hits the surface but if submerged there is no guarantee that water can't seep inside.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

theodavison

Reaction score
...or another way to explain it, water resistant means that it will repel water if it hits the surface but if submerged there is no guarantee that water can't seep inside.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

So is it possible for a phone to be scratch proof cause motto says the new droids are scratch proof

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
So is it possible for a phone to be scratch proof cause motto says the new droids are scratch proof

No they don't. They say they are scratch resistant, just like they say they're water resistant. There's a big difference between the two. :)

PowrDroid

Reaction score
They say they are scratch resistant, just like they say they're water resistant. There's a big difference between the two. :)

Hmmm....OK, so what does "stainless steel" mean? You buy a stainless steel sink. Does that mean it will not stain at all? (It's stainless!) Or that it will stain less than porcelain? :biggrin:

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
I certainly didn't expect to see philosophical inquiries once logged into the forums this morning! Why is there something rather than nothing? :blink:

R

RETG

Hmmm....OK, so what does "stainless steel" mean? You buy a stainless steel sink. Does that mean it will not stain at all? (It's stainless!) Or that it will stain less than porcelain? :biggrin:

Actually, in the airplane industry it is know as corrosion resistant steel. And yes, stainless will stain, but under most conditions it is highly stain resistant. Stainless was a name coined to it many moons ago. (Some grades of stainless will also form rust - maybe all not sure - , so be careful you don't drop something with stainless into the toilet.):blink:

Brian72

Reaction score
Well I'm on day 2 with the S3, and the first impressions: BLOWN AWAY. This phone is absolutely amazing. I'll keep it short since I'm only on day 2 and am still working on installing apps and setting things up, but I have zero remorse at this point. My wife lloves her iPhone5, but I can tell she's a little jealous of my screen and other features this phone has.

JiveRooster

Reaction score
I posted on this thread earlier. I was leaning towards the Razr HD. I ended getting the GS3. Could not pass up the $50 upgrade price at Best Buy today. They said it was a one day sale.

kokishin

Reaction score
Original URL: Security flaw found in Samsung's system-on-chip ? The Register

Security flaw found in Samsung's system-on-chip
Cluster of Exynos-powered Galaxy devices could be rooted by apps
By Simon Sharwood, APAC Editor

Posted in Security, 17th December 2012 06:19 GMT

Free whitepaper – The Definitive Guide to Dispersed Storage

A member of an XDA developers forum who calls him-or-herself alephzain claims to have found a flaw in several Samsung handsets and tablets that could allow attackers to enjoy access to their RAM.

Alephzain posted news of the flaw here [1], stating that “The security hole is in kernel, exactly with the device /dev/exynos-mem.”

Exynos is Samsung's ARM-based system on a chip and is found in a great many of its devices.

Alephzain's asessment of the flaw follows:

“The good news is we can easily obtain root on these devices and the bad is there is no control over it.

Ram dump, kernel code injection and others could be possible via app installation from Play Store. It certainly exists many ways to do that but Samsung give an easy way to exploit. This security hole is dangerous and expose phone to malicious apps.

Exploitation with native C and JNI could be easily feasible.”

The flaw has attracted attention from others in the same forums, one of which – Chainfire [2] - has thoughtfully provided an exploit for the flaw and warned “any app can use it to gain root without asking and without any permissions on a vulnerable device” before adding “Let's hope for some fixes ASAP.”

Devices in trouble are said to include the Galaxy SIII, Galaxy Note, Galaxy Note 2 and Galaxy 10.1 tablets.

Members of the XDA developers community are evidently quite keen on the flaw, as it will allow them to do some low level hacking on their preferred Samsung devices. Community members say they've told Samsung about the problem, which should allow the rest of us to Keep Calm and Not Download Apps until a fix is issued. ®

Links
[ROOT][SECURITY] Root exploit on Exynos - xda-developers
[ROOT EXPLOIT][2012.12.16] ExynosAbuse APK v1.10 - xda-developers

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Great..... a lot of good 2 gigs of ram will do ya when it's being stolen by hackers along with your information no doubt.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score