Razr Maxx HD vs. Galaxy s3

electric turd

Reaction score
Dumb question.....will a diff launcher etc.. Use any more battery than normal? How is the battery life?

joshxdroid

Reaction score
electric turd said:
Dumb question.....will a diff launcher etc.. Use any more battery than normal? How is the battery life?
I have used launchers, and they are very efficient. Minimal drain at the most. But if battery is a concern I think the hd maxx is a no brainer. And that's on top of your other concerns

Sent from my XT912 running KOA resurrection CM10 jelly bean

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

I use Go Launcher, and it doesn't even show up on the stock battery stats, so battery drain is virtually nonexistent. I've noticed no difference in battery life when I've had the launcher on or off.

Battery life with the S3 on the whole is fantastic. Outside of the MAXX devices, it's one of the top performers on Verizon. And a big plus in its favor, in my opinion, is the removable battery. As we just discussed a couple pages back in this thread, the battery life of the MAXX HD is unrivaled on a single charge, but once it does run out, you have to be tied to an outlet or external charger (and it takes longer to charge the battery since it's bigger). With the S3, I can just pop in a spare battery and go on my way (or buy an extended battery if I want).

For most people, the MAXX HD will get them through a day and then some without any problems. But when I had the MAXX, there were many long days where I found myself with several hours to go and the battery was down to 10%. That always sucked in a major way. I can't be tied to an outlet for work, and an external charger isn't always practical or convenient if you need to continue using the device. That's one of the main reasons why I switched to the S3. The battery in the S3 will get most people through an entire day, yet you have the option of switching to another battery. I like having a lot of options for all different situations, so the S3 was definitely the right way to go for me.

I was apprehensive about the S3 before I got it due to some very poor experiences with several Samsung devices in the past (Galaxy Nexus, Droid Charge, Stratosphere, Fascinate), but Samsung really hit it out of the park with the S3 in pretty much every way in my opinion. While I was never a Motorola fanboy, I used to have a major preference for Motorola devices. But with the S3, I haven't missed the MAXX in the slightest.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I agree with Josh. I never use stock launchers. Not with my og droid, my dinc,my charge, my Maxx nor my M. The stock launchers are always lacking in some feature that I want. Except with the og droid, they have never seemed to affect battery or performance.

Edit: and what bsweetness said.

Last edited:

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
... I've heard stories of glass braking on the gs3

Had a G3 for 2 weeks. It fell off the bumper of a pickup while at work. Screen shattered. Keep in mind, this is just an F150. Mean while, I not only dropped my Dinc off the bed of an F150, but it was while driving and flew off. No screen break. I dropped my OG Maxx several times since last January. Some dings in the plastic, but no problems with the screen. Thankfully I haven't dropped the Maxx HD yet, but I'm sure I will, and when I do, I'm sure the screen will hold up.

electric turd

Reaction score
Scotty, how do you compare the s3 to the razr? I think this weekend is when I'm going to make my move and im still undecided

npro1464

Reaction score
Had a G3 for 2 weeks. It fell off the bumper of a pickup while at work. Screen shattered. Keep in mind, this is just an F150. Mean while, I not only dropped my Dinc off the bed of an F150, but it was while driving and flew off. No screen break. I dropped my OG Maxx several times since last January. Some dings in the plastic, but no problems with the screen. Thankfully I haven't dropped the Maxx HD yet, but I'm sure I will, and when I do, I'm sure the screen will hold up.

Your the reason they make Otterbox Defender cases. Stop leaving your poor smart phones on your truck! :angry:

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Scotty, how do you compare the s3 to the razr? I think this weekend is when I'm going to make my move and im still undecided

S3 -
Positive: Beautiful Screen, great pictures, fast phone, and the Samsung version on top of ICS is nice. Also, my wife absolutely loves her S3, which anytime wifey is happy is a plus for me.
Negatives: Too big. (I couldn't even imagine carrying the Note.) You can't reach the top fo the display 1 handed. My wife uses both hands, so it's not a problem for her, but I like to do everything with 1 hand.
I hated the keyboard and I am NOT a fan of swype. HOwever, if youa re a fan of swype, this would probably be a positive for you. It's my understanding that Samsung's Swype is the best. Me, I hated it. Spell check wasn't great either.
Feels plasticy. Not solid at all. I was afraid to put it in my back pocket, which is where I always carry my Razr, because I was afraid my big butt would break it.
My biggest problem: it dropped from a 2 foot hight and broke the screen. 2 feet is nothing. If you do get one, put a very expensive shock proof case on it.

Maxx HD -
Positive: Everything. It feels good in the hands. The phone is all metal and is very solid. Every time I pick it up, I can't believe how good it fits in my hands and how well built it is. If you're a fan of the feel of the iPhone, you'll love the HD. The motoblur on top of ICS is really nice. Moto's done a great job of improving motoblur. I actually like the keyboard on the moto phones more than any other phone.
Negatives: Haven't really found anything negative about it. I've heard the camera is bad, but I haven't experienced any bad shots. The camera is not up to the quality of the S3, but it's good enough for me.

Comparison between the two phones is tough, because they are so different. If Verizon puts both phones beside each other, hold them both at once, you'll see what I mean about the feel of the two phones. The G3 is lighter, but bigger. The Maxx HD is heavier, but feels more solid and I can cover the screen while holding the phone with one hand.

Millions of people own and love the S3. My wife is one of them. Me personally I hated it and was very happy when I dropped it and the screen broke. THat meant that I had an excuse to get the Maxx HD :)

marbeezy

Reaction score
You guys..

I have been reading all the replies to this thread and damn, this is tough. The replies i've read have been very helpful! Also, loved when we dug up my voyager from the grave lol(loved that phone). I am getting my phone through Costco because of their return policy(90 days). I am still torn on which to get! I love the look on the MAXX HD it's gorgeous and feels great in my hand. I could also say the same with the S3, however, the battery life and the reception issue is really throwing me off. I'm also not a big fan of the touchwiz, probably because I haven't really played around with it considering everyone is hogging it lol.

Also, I might be moving to Canada in the next couple months and as far as I can tell the Maxx hd is a Global phone. Hmm.. :D

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I have been reading all the replies to this thread and damn, this is tough. The replies i've read have been very helpful! Also, loved when we dug up my voyager from the grave lol(loved that phone). I am getting my phone through Costco because of their return policy(90 days). I am still torn on which to get! I love the look on the MAXX HD it's gorgeous and feels great in my hand. I could also say the same with the S3, however, the battery life and the reception issue is really throwing me off. I'm also not a big fan of the touchwiz, probably because I haven't really played around with it considering everyone is hogging it lol.

Also, I might be moving to Canada in the next couple months and as far as I can tell the Maxx hd is a Global phone. Hmm.. :D
Oh ya, I forgot about touchwhiz. I couldn't stand it, but then again, I'm not a Swype person, so if you like Sype, then you'll probably like touchwhiz.

harp666

Reaction score

Well..sounds like you answered your own question on which to buy.....get the Maxx HD!!!

alcamedes

Reaction score
I went from RAZR maxx to now the maxx hd, love the phone! No problems whatsoever!

jtc303

Reaction score
S3 -
Positive: Beautiful Screen, great pictures, fast phone, and the Samsung version on top of ICS is nice. Also, my wife absolutely loves her S3, which anytime wifey is happy is a plus for me.
Negatives: Too big. (I couldn't even imagine carrying the Note.) You can't reach the top fo the display 1 handed. My wife uses both hands, so it's not a problem for her, but I like to do everything with 1 hand.
I hated the keyboard and I am NOT a fan of swype. HOwever, if youa re a fan of swype, this would probably be a positive for you. It's my understanding that Samsung's Swype is the best. Me, I hated it. Spell check wasn't great either.
Feels plasticy. Not solid at all. I was afraid to put it in my back pocket, which is where I always carry my Razr, because I was afraid my big butt would break it.
My biggest problem: it dropped from a 2 foot hight and broke the screen. 2 feet is nothing. If you do get one, put a very expensive shock proof case on it.

Maxx HD -
Positive: Everything. It feels good in the hands. The phone is all metal and is very solid. Every time I pick it up, I can't believe how good it fits in my hands and how well built it is. If you're a fan of the feel of the iPhone, you'll love the HD. The motoblur on top of ICS is really nice. Moto's done a great job of improving motoblur. I actually like the keyboard on the moto phones more than any other phone.
Negatives: Haven't really found anything negative about it. I've heard the camera is bad, but I haven't experienced any bad shots. The camera is not up to the quality of the S3, but it's good enough for me.

Comparison between the two phones is tough, because they are so different. If Verizon puts both phones beside each other, hold them both at once, you'll see what I mean about the feel of the two phones. The G3 is lighter, but bigger. The Maxx HD is heavier, but feels more solid and I can cover the screen while holding the phone with one hand.

Millions of people own and love the S3. My wife is one of them. Me personally I hated it and was very happy when I dropped it and the screen broke. THat meant that I had an excuse to get the Maxx HD :)

I totally agree about the build quality feel of the maxx hd ... Very iphone-esque only tougher and more symmetrical...apple should have made ip5 wider if they're going to make it longer...the s3 seems very good but the plastic feel turned me off...maxx hd is the perfect phone for me..very happy with it.

Last edited: