Razr Maxx HD vs. Galaxy s3

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
RAZR maxx HD wins.
Want a good camera? Buy a Canon.

why waste money on a camera when non Motorola's have pretty good cameras.... is the HD better than the 6+ month old s3 or the best current phone? not in my opinion... cameras are more important than build quality.. because anyone can put a $5 case on any phone and make its build quality solid (most people get cases regardless of how good the build quality is).... you can't improve a camera

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

joshxdroid

Reaction score
why waste money on a camera when non Motorola's have pretty good cameras.... is the HD better than the 6+ month old s3 or the best current phone? not in my opinion... cameras are more important than build quality.. because anyone can put a $5 case on any phone and make its build quality solid (most people get cases regardless of how good the build quality is).... you can't improve a camera

Build quality isn't the only thing people like about the HD. Some of us live where signal isn't great and the Motorola radios are untouchable

Sent from my XT912 running some custom Rom.....I can't keep changing this sig

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
Build quality isn't the only thing people like about the HD. Some of us live where signal isn't great and the Motorola radios are untouchable

eh, I'm starting to think that they're over rated lol... I have a bionic and friends at work with s2 and s3 on tmo and Sprint respectively get far better coverage.. I'm in NYC... and there's a lot of interference in the building but they get data and faster at that in spots I get none or slower 4g than them... outside moto/Verizon wins

battery wise at work.. they can leave 4g on the whole work day and leave with battery left on stock batteries (1650&2100mah) and with my 2200+ extended battery I wouldn't even dare leaving 4g on for longer than I need it

one guy has a s3 on Verizon and is a very light user but leaving 4g on he gets around 2 days usage.. similar for a guy with a rezound as well

joshxdroid

Reaction score
eh, I'm starting to think that they're over rated lol... I have a bionic and friends at work with s2 and s3 on tmo and Sprint respectively get far better coverage.. I'm in NYC... and there's a lot of interference in the building but they get data and faster at that in spots I get none or slower 4g than them... outside moto/Verizon wins

battery wise at work.. they can leave 4g on the whole work day and leave with battery left on stock batteries (1650&2100mah) and with my 2200+ extended battery I wouldn't even dare leaving 4g on for longer than I need it

one guy has a s3 on Verizon and is a very light user but leaving 4g on he gets around 2 days usage.. similar for a guy with a rezound as well

I between my wife and I we've each 2 lg's, an HTC incredible, an HTC thunderbolt, a droid x2, a droid 3, and a droid Razr, plus our friends with various phones. And at our house the HTC's and lg's vary from no signal, to very marginal, with constant dara drops. All three of our Motorola's have held a good signal all the time with very little data drops. That's my personal experience. Also if you look back through this thread there are quite a few who exchanged their Samsung for Motorola for this very reason. Not to take away from the Many nice features Samsung has, but I'm a firm believer in Motorola's radios and quality

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I between my wife and I we've each 2 lg's, an HTC incredible, an HTC thunderbolt, a droid x2, a droid 3, and a droid Razr, plus our friends with various phones. And at our house the HTC's and lg's vary from no signal, to very marginal, with constant dara drops. All three of our Motorola's have held a good signal all the time with very little data drops. That's my personal experience. Also if you look back through this thread there are quite a few who exchanged their Samsung for Motorola for this very reason. Not to take away from the Many nice features Samsung has, but I'm a firm believer in Motorola's radios and quality

I've had plenty of phones from Motorola, Samsung, and HTC, and I've lived in a spotty coverage area along with doing a lot of traveling, so I've had a lot of experience with reception across devices.

I'd definitely rank Motorola at the top, but Samsung isn't too far behind now. Samsung's devices on Verizon used to have really bad reception, so much so that I was almost completely turned off to their products because of it. But with the S3, Samsung really made some big steps forward, and with the Note 2, they've gotten even better.

I've found HTC to be the most erratic, with some phones rivaling Motorola's reception, and others having more trouble than the Galaxy Nexus. But overall, they've been decent. I'd place Samsung slightly ahead of them at this point though.

So, I'll agree that Motorola is the gold standard when it comes to reception. That said, for most people, recent devices from Samsung aren't too far behind (and most people really won't notice a difference). But as for the topic of the thread, I still think the S3 edges out the MAXX HD as an overall device. It just has more to offer in my opinion.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've had plenty of phones from Motorola, Samsung, and HTC, and I've lived in a spotty coverage area along with doing a lot of traveling, so I've had a lot of experience with reception across devices.

I'd definitely rank Motorola at the top, but Samsung isn't too far behind now. Samsung's devices on Verizon used to have really bad reception, so much so that I was almost completely turned off to their products because of it. But with the S3, Samsung really made some big steps forward, and with the Note 2, they've gotten even better.

I've found HTC to be the most erratic, with some phones rivaling Motorola's reception, and others having more trouble than the Galaxy Nexus. But overall, they've been decent. I'd place Samsung slightly ahead of them at this point though.

So, I'll agree that Motorola is the gold standard when it comes to reception. That said, for most people, recent devices from Samsung aren't too far behind (and most people really won't notice a difference). But as for the topic of the thread, I still think the S3 edges out the MAXX HD as an overall device. It just has more to offer in my opinion.

its all depending on where you are vs towers/ antennas.. as well as the built in radios.... my issues seem to be with interference (indoors) and Motorola in my case doesn't fare as well as others in NYC... ive gotten zero service in elevators, whether its data or calls

Last edited:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
its all depending on where you are vs towers/ antennas.. as well as the built in radios.... my issues seem to be with interference (indoors) and Motorola in my case doesn't fare as well as others in NYC... ive gotten zero service in elevators, whether its data or calls

Individual experience definitely varies. That's why for every person saying they get great reception with a phone you'll find another person who says they don't. There are a lot of issues that impact reception, and those will create a different experience from person to person.

That said, on the whole Motorola is generally regarded as having the best reception. Not everyone will have experiences that back that up, and some will outright disagree with it, but generally speaking, they tend to be at the top of the list. They've been in the game longer than anyone, and they really know how to make a solid software radio.

It's like Verizon always being ranked as the number one carrier in U.S. from a customer service point of view. Individual experience will vary (and if you read through these or any other phone forums, you'll see that individual experiences vary greatly, with a lot more complaints than praise), but overall, they do what they do better than the rest.

I still think they need to be looking carefully in the rear view mirror though. Samsung has already overtaken them in most aspects, and they're getting awfully close to potentially doing the same in reception.

Edit: But I still think the S3 is the better device between the two. :D

Last edited:

joshxdroid

Reaction score
Individual experience definitely varies. That's why for every person saying they get great reception with a phone you'll find another person who says they don't. There are a lot of issues that impact reception, and those will create a different experience from person to person.

That said, on the whole Motorola is generally regarded as having the best reception. Not everyone will have experiences that back that up, and some will outright disagree with it, but generally speaking, they tend to be at the top of the list. They've been in the game longer than anyone, and they really know how to make a solid software radio.

It's like Verizon always being ranked as the number one carrier in U.S. from a customer service point of view. Individual experience will vary (and if you read through these or any other phone forums, you'll see that individual experiences vary greatly, with a lot more complaints than praise), but overall, they do what they do better than the rest.

I still think they need to be looking carefully in the rear view mirror though. Samsung has already overtaken them in most aspects, and they're getting awfully close to potentially doing the same in reception.

Edit: But I still think the S3 is the better device between the two. :D

This is very true. A lot of people assume if they have a bad experience it's the same for everyone. I would also argue that two of the same model can have completely different user experiences even without other variables.

marbeezy

Reaction score
Okay, so i'm back, stilll torn and what not. S3 has video playback while browsing the net or answering text messeges.. hm.. can razr do that? lol Sometimes i wish i wasn't so picky or indecisive

jtc303

Reaction score
Okay, so i'm back, stilll torn and what not. S3 has video playback while browsing the net or answering text messeges.. hm.. can razr do that? lol Sometimes i wish i wasn't so picky or indecisive

If I were you, I would get whichever one you're leaning towards and try it out... if you end up loving it you're golden...if not, you have 2 weeks to return it for the other choice...

Brian72

Reaction score
Well I came to this forum leaning toward the Maxx HD and decided on the S3. Pulled the trigger today online via Radioshack - $99 for the upgrade and a $50 Google Play credit. Couldn't beat the deal.

What did it for me?

1) Onscreen buttons on the Maxx HD reduce the screen size while browsing. I opened the same website side by side in the store and the difference in the amount of the page you could view was bigger than I thought it would be. I would've preferred a capacitive rather than physical home button on the S3, but I'll deal with it.
2) I opted for replaceable battery over long battery life. Makes more sense for my situation. But this one depends on the individual.
3) Bigger selection of accessories. The HD is newer so I'm sure the options will grow.
4) 2GB RAM over the HDs 1GB RAM. Both are more than enough for now but 18 months from now that 1GB could start to drag the phone down.
5) GS3 will become a world phone with JB update. I planned on waiting for the update to buy but the deal was too sweet.
6) Camera - S3 wins big. Both in online reviews and in my own in-store tests.
7) Price - Haven't seen the HD below $200.

I'm sure I would've loved either phone, but this is why I pulled the trigger on the S3. If it doesn't wow me like I think it will I'll take it back within the 2 weeks.

theodavison

Reaction score
I really like The RAZR MAXX HD for the incredible battery life and durability, but the Note 2 has a 3100mAh battery as well so it's a tough call.

The droid razr maxx hd actually has a 3300mAh battery but sadly its non removable maybe because the phones water proof

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
The droid razr maxx hd actually has a 3300mAh battery but sadly its non removable maybe because the phones water proof

water proof? are u sure about that lol

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Water resistant but not water proof.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums