Note 7 facts on the incidents based on actual reports

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
note7rumor.jpg

I was hesitant to write this because for many this has gone on long enough but after reading through last night's thread (Breaking News - Samsung issues Note 7's official death note in the US) I was curious myself on the latest regarding all the reports. Because as of mid October we either stopped hearing of reports or tuned it out. So I did some digging of all the reported incidents (that I could fine) as well as the conclusions as reported.

Now this is not meant to incite further back and forth or take any sides. I am just going to report the facts as gather through my search through Google. If there are any updates that you would like to share we can add it if it is meant to help provide closure to some of these open incidents.

So here are the facts I managed to gather below:

In conclusion to me looking into the incidents it looked like there were several early reports of Note 7 fires/incidents that ended up not being a result of the phone, others that are still in investigation, and some that we just do not have a conclusion to.

What we do know is that Samsung did issue an official "expanded voluntary (on the manufacturers part) recall" (last updated 12/7/2016) and to increase participation they will issue an update preventing the phone from charging (Galaxy Note7 Safety Recall and Exchange Program) and in cooperation with the CPSC (Samsung Expands Recall of Galaxy Note7 Smartphones Based on Additional Incidents with Replacement Phones; Serious Fire and Burn Hazards).

So the recall is not "mandatory" but basically Samsung is going to do everything in their power to make sure all with the note 7 participates.

I will update this page with facts that I find going forward.

Thanks and hopefully this helps sort facts from feelings.

Last edited:
OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My opinion:

This have been one interesting topic because there are people on both sides of the fence that have been passionate about this topic. On one side the thought is to just drop it, "it's just a phone". But then again the reason why people are on forums like this in the first place is because they are passionate about topics regarding smartphones. So I understand why people may feel one way or another. It is no different than the devices in the past whether it be the Droid, HTC Thunderbolt (before it actually got released and we saw how horrible it actually was), Droid X, or the Galaxy Nexus. We tend to care about these devices in the sense we are glued to any bit of information we can find regarding these topics. It is why smartphone announcements have grown from a bit in the paper to live press releases that are parties.

So I personally have no issue with a person being passionate on this topic and the more I stepped back and looked at what was said vs people arguing the more I realized that there are actually some valid points on both sides. There were some posts thrown out as facts that were not truly that. When I had to dig I ended up sifting through and realizing that even I made some mistakes regarding the recall as mandatory.

In the end the reality is that we know there were several incidents regarding the Note 7 that flooded our news in the Fall of 2016. Some of them were actual incidents that were legit, some were hoax, and others we just do not have enough information to make a solid conclusion.

What we do know is that Samsung, for whatever reason, decided it was best to recall the device whether it be because of pressure from news outlets, stockholders wanting to stop the bad press from spreading to other devices, or the engineers actually finding a flaw in enough devices to warrant a recall. Either way Samsung is to release an official report of the findings and at that time I will update the op reflecting that.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
For me the issue wasn't, and still isn't, about the Note7. Samsung has a habit of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing and they sell parts as well as finished products. If you remember at first the explanation was faulty batteries during manufacture of them in 1 of 2 factories they were being made in due to skins covering highly volatile chemicals getting weakened. Now they're saying it was a design flaw of the phone case itself. We've joked in the past about how clueless their software support is, how clueless their customer support is, how badly their website works and other non life or limb threatening areas of the ownership of their products can be. Combine all this new fast charge technology they they're adopting to their lack of testing for worst case scenarios and it could become we look for who makes the innards of our electronics and avoid anything made by Samsung, be it a chip,a battery,a screen, a mother board or any other product they sell to their competition. For all I know the stories we're starting to read about iPhones catching fire could be Samsung parts inside at fault.
And thanks PC for the link to the one in Richmond Va. I'd been wanting proof beyond some website claim that a user sent to them only but for some reason it ain't opening for me to read
f6b2b4f6df9b309f793bdfa0820a9a0b.jpg
To me them doing the recall then sending out software updates to brick the phone says they still don't know why it happened to a few, how many are at risk and have no idea if the total revenue outlay to lawsuits will be more or less than the loss of profit from the recall and damage to public image, again another area where Samsung is throwing stuff at a wall and seeing if anything sticks and if so what. Clueless on a global scale. I was ok written Samsung until they released the second version of what caused things to go awry, now I see nothing new under the Samsung sun.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Last edited:

Briankbl

Reaction score
Correction on your Jeep story:
the Note 7 was not "ruled out". The incident was classified as "undetermined". Meaning that they don't know definitively what caused the fire. So it still could have been caused by the Note 7.

Beardface

Reaction score
What we do know is that Samsung did issue an official "expanded voluntary recall" (last updated 12/7/2016) and to increase participation they will issue an update preventing the phone from charging (Galaxy Note7 Safety Recall and Exchange Program).

So the recall is not "mandatory" but basically Samsung is going to do everything in their power to make sure all with the note 7 participates.

As I said in the other thread, the term voluntary has nothing to do with whether you have to return the device. In this case, voluntary is a market term for Samsung deciding to enact the recall on their own without the government ordering them to do so. It's a term used for litigation purposes after the fact showing that Samsung was being proactive and didn't wait to be ordered to remove the devices from the market place.

This was never a voluntary recall for the consumers. If you have a Note 7, Samsung had ordered you to return it. Please do so.

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
As I said in the other thread, the term voluntary has nothing to do with whether you have to return the device. In this case, voluntary is a market term for Samsung deciding to enact the recall on their own without the government ordering them to do so. It's a term used for litigation purposes after the fact showing that Samsung was being proactive and didn't wait to be ordered to remove the devices from the market place.

This was never a voluntary recall for the consumers. If you have a Note 7, Samsung had ordered you to return it. Please do so.

This needs to be put in bold and italics!!!!
This recall was a voluntary move on Samsung's part NOT the consumers! Also, once the CSPC got involved and backed Samsung in saying the device is unsafe then why would anyone in their right mind continue to hold on to it??

Sent from my Sexy IPhone 7+

Beardface

Reaction score
This needs to be put in bold and italics!!!!
This recall was a voluntary move on Samsung's part NOT the consumers! Also, once the CSPC got involved and backed Samsung in saying the device is unsafe then why would anyone in their right mind continue to hold on to it??

Even Samsung's own investigators this week showed there was a flaw in the design where they didn't leave enough room between the battery and the holster causing a dangerous squeeze to happen under charging situations where it was only a matter of time before it got too much and caused the chain reaction. They have learned from this and future devices will be better for it, but the Note 7 is a lost cause. Samsung had taken a massive, massive financial hit in this recall, and they wouldn't have done so if it weren't necessary. If you own one, return it, please.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I am looking for the report a person posted about the garage Note 7 fire being fruad. Will post when I find it. The thing is I like the Note 7 and still think it is a Great Phone and Some of the main people that are saying drop it never liked it in the first place. Never had nothing good to say about it and never owned it. This phone has actually took the place of my laptop for my Work. Will work with the Pixel,but not as efficient. I will jump on the next Note as soon as it is released.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I am looking for the report a person posted about the garage Note 7 fire being fruad. Will post when I find it. The thing is I like the Note 7 and still think it is a Great Phone and Some of the main people that are saying drop it never liked it in the first place. Never had nothing good to say about it and never owned it. This phone has actually took the place of my laptop for my Work. Will work with the Pixel,but not as efficient. I will jump on the next Note as soon as it is released.

I owned two Note 7's... loved them both and hated giving them up. The Note 7 was hands down the best phone of 2016!

Briankbl

Reaction score
I owned two Note 7's... loved them both and hated giving them up. The Note 7 was hands down the best phone of 2016!

Same here. OG Note 7 followed be Note 7 v2. Absolutely loved the phone! Way better than my current S7 Edge. But Preacher, there are too many legit incidents of this phone causing harm. It's under recall. No one should be encouraged to hang onto this device. No one.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState

Droidprincess I was not talking about you. I know and respect your opinions. You were a Note owner. There are just others that never owned or had nothing good to say about the Note 7 that are the biggest complainers.

Briankbl

Reaction score
Droidprincess I was not talking about you. I know and respect your opinions. You were a Note owner. There are just others that never owned or had nothing good to say about the Note 7 that are the biggest complainers.

When you say "complainers", are you referring to people defending the recall? Or something else? What complaining do you mean?

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
Same here. OG Note 7 followed be Note 7 v2. Absolutely loved the phone! Way better than my current S7 Edge. But Preacher, there are too many legit incidents of this phone causing harm. It's under recall. No one should be encouraged to hang onto this device. No one.
What about those that ordered a new phone like the Pixel XL. Mine is coming Monday thank God. But those who have to wait longer. That are Note 7 owners. What do they do if it this is their only phone until there new phone arrives. If Verizon went along with the phone being cut off like At&t and Sprint. What are they to do in the time between in something that is not their fault ? Should they cancel their Pre-order and choose a phone they do not like. Or pay out more money for a pay as you go phone, or just go with out until the phone arrives? In all cases it is not the owners fault!

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Twitter
DroidNCState
When you say "complainers", are you referring to people defending the recall? Or something else? What complaining do you mean?
Not at all. Just the ones that had nothing good to say about the phone from the beginning. Before the recall, and supposed fires. The guys who put those who decided to keep their Note 7 were put in negative light by others.