Breaking News Samsung issues Note 7's official death note in the US

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
425145aa4402002f21811a25cf5198a2.png

So today Samsung updated their recall page and as shown above will be sending out an update that will kill the Note 7.

The page also states that 93% of Note 7's in the US have been returned. So the few hold outs left will only have a couple weeks to choose another device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
My question is how can they do this? Didn't they say Voluntary recall. They did not say mandatory recall. So how can they cut off the phones? If they would of said mandatory then I would understand that.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Beardface

Reaction score
My question is how can they do this? Didn't they say Voluntary recall. They did not say mandatory recall. So how can they cut off the phones? If they would of said mandatory then I would understand that.

In this case "Voluntary" meant that the company chose to perform the recall on their own accord, and it wasn't done because the government forced them to do it. There was never any intention of this being voluntary for the consumers.

OP
jstafford1

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79

Only thing it can be is that they've found an inherent flaw with the device that warrants disabling it completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
In this case "Voluntary" meant that the company chose to perform the recall on their own accord, and it wasn't done because the government forced them to do it. There was never any intention of this being voluntary for the consumers.

What he said...

Sent from my Sexy IPhone 7+

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
I wonder if the consumer safety board will allow Verizon to take that stance.... The individuals that still have the Note 7 have had months to exchange it for a different device. Yeah I get the next argument "I had to wait for the phone I wanted" and so forth... maybe Verizon should have done like some other carriers and offered loner devices like Samsung put in their exchange protocol.

There is a major issue with the Note 7 that Samsung sees as dangerous, I would guess they are not going to let Verizon stand in their way as they as company do what's right by consumers and themselves. Having Note 7 devices in the wild and in use is a liability to the company...

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
this is one of those instances where you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. verizon will have to gamble here on a chance of someone's phone catching fire(1 in million?) vs someone's phone going dead in emergency/important situation(1 in 1000?). those are my guesses of course but i think i'm pretty close there.

here is verizon's thinking in my opinion. they'd rather risk getting sued by 1-2 people due to loss of personal property due to fire then getting a class action suit against them due to people being in bfe without forms of communication. $1 million in damages vs $10 million in damage is their 2 cents.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Verizon said they won't participate in note 7 decommission.
http://engt.co/2gld9Vv
Very cool. Gotta love Verizon! According to Note 7 Rebels (who have been communicating with Samsung & various carriers) during this whole thing:
As long as you're paying your bill, they can't legally turn off your device.

S7 Edge tap'n

droidprincess

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Iphone 7 Plus
Twitter
droidprincesstx
Doubtful...