Official Samsung Note 7 Reports Are In

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
galaxy-note-7-side-1200x801.jpg

We received word earlier in the week that Samsung had ended their internal investigation as to the cause of Note 7 devices catching fire. The early revelation was that the batteries were to blame. This is what Samsung had been saying from the beginning. While we expected that batteries may be the actual cause it is good to see that Samsung has an official explanation to go along with the cause of "defective batteries."

According to a report from Samsung obtained by The Wall Street Journal Note 7 devices were catching fire due to the fact that the batteries were to large for the Note 7 housing. They had no room to breathe (expand and contract). Samsung tried to fit too many components in too small of a body. Some batteries were also irregularly sized which further promoted fires when placed under too much strain.

Now that Samsung is sure of the problem will they be sure to correct it with the Samsung S8? It is very likely by now that production of these phones has already begun. Samsung already has a final design for the S8. Will this mean smaller batteries overall for upcoming Samsung devices. Will Samsung sacrifice thinness for safety? If it were your choice to make how would you insure Samsung's devices don't catch fire going forward. I personally would be fine with thicker phones that have larger batteries. The report will be officially released by Samsung on Monday.

via The Wall Street Journal

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Give me more girth and make it user replaceable.
I had an LG510 forever ago and it was discovered that some of the batteries were flawed and swelling (a sure sign of trouble ahead) . Verizon contacted me and asked if I was still using the phone (which my wife was at the time) and if it had a certain ending sequence of numbers on the battery and when I said yes they overnighted me a new battery and postage paid envelope to send the old one back. There was no loss of phone for more than the few seconds it took to change batteries, no mass hysteria that my wife's phone could cause nuclear Armageddon, no threads on forums that caused overgrown children to show their true colors, no loss of face for LG, no sending out updates that would cause the phone to become nothing more than a paperweight, and the world went on as if nothing happened while 99.99% of the world's population hadn't a clue that something was amiss. She actually used that phone for about 2 more years until the 0 button fell off.
Samsung could take a lesson from that scenario from last century.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><