Samsung Will Change Battery Testing Procedures In The Wake Of Note 7

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The Note 7 has been cancelled as we all know. Now that the device has been discontinued it is the main concern of Samsung to determine what exactly caused the Note 7 to catch fire. The investigation has revealed that Samsung has only tested their batteries in house. Companies like Apple and Lenovo have used 3rd party labs who are certified by the CTIA to test batteries. Some other companies have tested their batteries both in house and through third party labs.

Some industry analysts have argued that testing the batteries in house could lead to a conflict of interests. Samsung has been testing their batteries this way since 2009 with no issues so it has been assumed that they know what they are doing and were taking this seriously. Samsung has stated that their testing found no issues with the batteries in both the original and 2nd batches of the devices. Samsung has announced that they will make changes to how they test quality and safety of products going forward.

via Wall Street Journal

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

^watching that and I am not seeing where maybe the size of the phone being too thin was the issue. Given how easy it appeared to be able to puncture the battery with just a business card maybe that was the issue?

Thoughts?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I do not think that many people were looking for a payday. And the incident on the Southwest plane was real.

shockracer

Reaction score
I do not think that many people were looking for a payday. And the incident on the Southwest plane was real.

Not saying it didn't happen, it just seems suspicious. Remember when people were using cheap uncerified USB type-C cables and were blowing their phones up? I'm thinking something along those lines are going to be uncovered on some of them. Who doesn't return a $900 device to get money back for it?

I bet we'll see Samsung force their devices to only be charged from their chargers in the near future, can't say i really blame them if they go that route.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Still unable to reproduce the problem and can't get people that "claim" the battery exploded to handover the device. Really dude, REALLY...
Go to your local vape shop, buy one of their batteries, throw it in a backpack along with some keys and a few coins. You'll see in almost no time how fragile the wrapping is on lithium ion batteries. Factor in those batteries are assembled by computer controlled robots, many times without a human being checking for any foreign objects of any kind anywhere, let a little stick or metal splinter get stuck to an arm of a robot right where it presses things together. If that's what happened in the Samsung battery plant it was either caught quickly or it was a miracle more didn't get out and become fire hazards. Just 1 person forgetting to clean 1 small spot on those robots could wreak havoc both inside the plant and across the globe.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
What I find odd is the way in which manufacturers chose to go with sealed batteries..I mean think about it...it can't be removed by us without voiding the warranty... correct??

So in my way of thinking you've got a few ways to go..more robust Incase of a drop or rupture, which could also be bad and increase the blast radius in a total failure..say a rupture that makes it blow up..not just vent the pressured gases ..

Or you have thinner..which makes it more susceptible to these damages but failure is reached at a lower level..less percussive blast in a blow up type failure...but also more susceptible to ballooning like the old RAZR Maxx did with that hot g4 processor . So idk..I guess depending on what your design and engineering team come up with..you could go either way.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I miss the old days when it was easy to swap batteries.

Sent from someone else's Galaxy S7.
I don't. I haven't updated to a phone with a sealed battery.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I do. Carrying around a bunch of batteries sucked.
I only ever needed to carry one with me with my S3, and it was in my backpack anyways, so it's not like it was an inconvenience to have it with all my other crap. My S5 gets me through the whole day, so I don't need bring the extra unless I'm going away for the wknd. I think it would still be much more convenient than carrying a brick of a charger like that 20,000mAh DMX posted the other day. Though that would be nice have when camping, which I haven't done in a couple years.

S5 tap'n

mikekhelxD

Reaction score
I do. Carrying around a bunch of batteries sucked.
Still carry at least one with me all the time with my S5. I just put it inside the coin pocket in my jeans. Perfect size for the S5's battery to be honest. I have 4 in total and I never had to worry about running out of batt wherever I go

I still get the "looks" though when I change batt. They just jelly...

Reactions: cr6