Chinese Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Explodes

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

The hits just keep coming for Samsung. After a mass recall of Note 7 devices around the world Samsung confirmed that Chinese variants were not affected by the battery defect that caused the company to issue a $1billion recall covering more than a million units. Now that more than 60% of new replacement units have been claimed a report of an exploding Chinese variant Note 7 has surfaced.

Samsung was certain that the Chinese versions of the Note 7 were not affected because these devices used a battery made by a totally different manufacturer. Now 25 year old Hui Renjie is claiming that his Note 7 purchased through JD.com has exploded injuring both of his hands. He has refused to hand over his device to Samsung reps for investigation saying that Samsung won't reveal what truly caused the explosion and is instead holding on to the device to spread the word about the issue in China. Is anyone else just ready to get on to the Galaxy S8 now?!

via Bloomberg

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
Its funny how within days, or even hours of getting these devices, that they are having problems, yet with all the testing Samsung has done before making a public release, there were no problems.

This HAS to be a fluke somewhere. Their phones have a serious track record of being some of the best hardware available. Heck, I just spent $150 to get myself, yes, a Note 4 EDGE. I know there has been a decent amount of updated hardware, even in the Note lineup since then, but I actually have a lot of use for the actual edge curve. Plus, I need a backup phone in case my Nexus 6P goes kaput (again. First time was my fault, but mostly TWRP).

I just dont understand. I actually think the battery isnt to blame here, or MORE phones would be having the same problem. There has to be something else causing the glitch.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I'm not buying it either.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: cr6

chevycam94

SteelDroid ROM / Cortex ROM Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
steelroms.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P, VZW Note Edge, D1
Seeing as batteries are made is VERY large quantities at once, the manufacturing process for any given batch isn't going to change, almost at all. If there is a defect in the way the battery is made, its going to be that SAME defect in every battery in that batch. Just like dye lots for mass processed carpet. At my job we have tons of carpet used for different shows. For example, at the Arnold Fitness Expo, they want ALL the, say, red carpet, to have the SAME dye lot (month/year), so they look the same. Even the next months red dye lot looks totally different, but from the same processing plant. Same goes for batteries. The ones exploding would have come from the same defective batch (or a couple batches). But if that's the case, then ALL (or nearly all) the batteries in that batch would have that defect, as they were all made on the same machines, using the same techniques, using the same materials.

I have a theory. A component on the board that sits against the battery gets hot enough to cause a hotspot on the battery. If it gets hot enough, and the battery is charging (also getting warm), that can cause a chain reaction if the board and the battery meet the right criteria to cause a meltdown. It may have nothing at all to do with the battery, but because the battery is where all the chemical hazards are, its the battery that blows up, not the component on the board, so what you see is a blown battery, and automatically assume is must be the battery because thats what you saw. Extremely hard to tell if something else started it or not.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Injuring 2 of his hands? Does he live near Fukushima? Does he have more than 2?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
He refuses to hand it over. Hmmm. Awfully expensive phone to refuse to hand over (and get a replacement). That sounds more like he did something to the phone to cause the problem and likes the attention this gets him. With all the problems associated with the type C USB connector with cheap untested chargers it still makes me wonder if that is the real problem and the new Note 7s have a fix for that (which might also account for a bit slower charging and less battery time).

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Injuring 2 of his hands? Does he live near Fukushima? Does he have more than 2?

I just laughed really hard. That should say both hands lol.

Domestic violence

Reaction score
This sounds ripe for a lawsuit in that he refuses to hand it over to Samsung.

If it truly "exploded" I'd like to see pictures of the scene.

Odd that he still has the data cable plugged in too

redoregon

Reaction score
He refuses to hand it over. Hmmm. Awfully expensive phone to refuse to hand over (and get a replacement). That sounds more like he did something to the phone to cause the problem and likes the attention this gets him.

I'm wondering which of his relatives work for Huawei. Or him, for that matter.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I keep hearing about the note 7. These airlines aren't messing around. Phones off

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
It's an explosive year for Sammy.. I recently read that some of their top loading washing machines have been exploding..