Galaxy Note 7 Fires In China Weren't Caused By Bad Batteries

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

A few days ago Samsung announced that they would be using the same battery supplier that supplied batteries for the Chinese versions of the Note 7. Early this morning reports of exploding Note 7 devices in China started to roll in. The initial worry was that somehow Samsung's new battery supplier had somehow goofed up as well. An investigation was quickly launched, and it was determined that the batteries were not to blame for the Note 7 fires in China.

Based on the burn marks on the specimens, we inferred that the source of the heat came from outside the battery itself. There is a large probability that other outside factors were the cause of the heating problem.
-Amperex

For now there is no explanation of what is causing the Chinese version of the device to catch fire. It does however to be a completely different problem than what we have seen with US and other variants of the Note 7.

via WSJ

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

A few days ago Samsung announced that they would be using the same battery supplier that supplied batteries for the Chinese versions of the Note 7. Early this morning reports of exploding Note 7 devices in China started to roll in. The initial worry was that somehow Samsung's new battery supplier had somehow goofed up as well. An investigation was quickly launched, and it was determined that the batteries were not to blame for the Note 7 fires in China.

-Amperex

For now there is no explanation of what is causing the Chinese version of the device to catch fire. It does however to be a completely different problem than what we have seen with US and other variants of the Note 7.

via WSJ
I raised the question initially of whether it was the batteries that were at the root of the problem or if it's something else further up the line of the charging process. My concern is that jumping to the conclusion that it's the battery this early in the investigative process is easy and irresponsible. These batteries are already volatile, and it doesn't take much to push them over the edge. Charging them too much or at too high a voltage, or discharging them too deep both can create the internal shunts that can result in them overheating and going into thermal runaway, ending in intense flames and extremely high temperatures.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hey DMX, can we skip links to WSJ and look to other sources? We can't read them unless we pay to subscribe to WSJ .

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk