Samsung Considering Remotely Disabling Note 7 Device's That Aren't Returned

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Even if they waited until you activated the replacement?

I suppose we're talking about folks that don't send in for the replacement.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Now that would be crazy, who doesn't want a new phone as a replacement, and with the cable for phone data transfer it's simple. Gimme new, I give you old.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Even if they waited until you activated the replacement?

I suppose we're talking about folks that don't send in for the replacement.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Yeah, when you sell something, you are doing what is called a "transfer for value", where the transfer is the appliance or money depending which side you're on in the transaction, and the value likewise is depending on which receiving end you exist.

It's also known as a bilateral contract, and once executed can not be reversed unless BOTH parties agree. To electronically sabotage the device the manufacturer would be breeching the original contract and that would be illegal. Only a court could make that contract modified or voided allowing for this action to take place.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Now that would be crazy, who doesn't want a new phone as a replacement, and with the cable for phone data transfer it's simple. Gimme new, I give you old.

I agree but there are plenty of reasons why sometime wouldn't want to trade their phone in, and it is their right. For instance, since private information is contained in these devices and there isn't yet a foolproof way to eliminate that data built into the phones, in other words a true DOD wipe function, if that phone is traded in, then refurbished by the manufacturer and resold or used as a CLNR, the new recipient could essentially undelete the data and gain access to your private information.

Even commercial packages such as BleachBit aren't necessarily 100℅ effective in all cases. Unless a phone is rooted there are still areas of the phone's memory that are inaccessible except by the manufacturer. I believe there should be a true wipe feature built into every phone, allowing you to effectively remove all your personal data from a phone before releasing it.

I have used undelete programs to view private photos that were on CLNR phones I've gotten so I can attest to the truth in those statements. In this phone in holding now we're hundreds of photos of people I have never seen before in family events. It was easy to recover the deleted photos.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Unless there's something in those EULAs & other documentation that no one ever reads that day's they can do that?

Sent from my Moto Z
There are certainly EULA that address the use or misuse of the device, but I don't believe there are any rights retained by the manufacturer that would allow such overriding power over the owner. There are however certainly such overriding powers held by the carrier, which could allow them to interrupt service. This could shut the phone down on Verizon for instance, but the owner could simply take the phone elsewhere, say for instance to Cricket or other.

When you buy a phone, like any other purchase, you own it and can do with it as you choose. If this weren't true then car manufacturers could disable your car if they believed you would be a bad driver and may kill someone with it. Silly, huh?

tet-bundy

Reaction score
Even tho that practice might protect people from being harmed imo that should in no way be possible! My device, my responsibility!

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I have had No Issues with my Note 7!!!! Car Chargers and Wireless!!!
Doesn't mean you won't though. You could drop it and knock a bad battery cell loose and then go to charge it the next time it burns up.

Efin

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Doesn't mean you won't though. You could drop it and knock a bad battery cell loose and then go to charge it the next time it burns up.
Then let's hope they get the new in our hands fast.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I have had No Issues with my Note 7!!!! Car Chargers and Wireless!!!

Yeah. I wouldn't take the chance. Not worth it to me. Even though the reports are really very few considering how many units they sold, I'd much rather take a new device and spend a little time setting it up than run the risk of explosion.

I haven't seen any sort of deadline or timeline for the exchange program, but I have to believe they're not going to be replacing devices indefinitely.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X

It's a huge undertaking but I'm sure they will. But there has to be notification somehow. Think of the people who never go to tech sites, or forums like this.

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
I tried to take it back to Verizon. I told them that I wanted a Note 4 back and get my Upgrade back. They told me that there are no more Note 4s and I would have to take an s7 or Note 5. I can not use the S7 because I use the S-Pen for business getting electronic documents signed and transactions. I can't use the Note 5 because of No MicroSD and I can not use a Flash drive with it for auditing purposes. That is my issue with exchange program. So I have to hold on to my Note 7.

I forgot to add that I was told that if I took any of the phones it would be a upgrade from my previous Note 4. So after 14 days I would be stuck with it and I will have to pay a restocking fee it I returned it within 14 days for the new Note 7.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I tried to take it back to Verizon. I told them that I wanted a Note 4 back and get my Upgrade back. They told me that there are no more Note 4s and I would have to take an s7 or Note 5. I can not use the S7 because I use the S-Pen for business getting electronic documents signed and transactions. I can't use the Note 5 because of No MicroSD and I can not use a Flash drive with it for auditing purposes. That is my issue with exchange program. So I have to hold on to my Note 7.

I forgot to add that I was told that if I took any of the phones it would be a upgrade from my previous Note 4. So after 14 days I would be stuck with it and I will have to pay a restocking fee it I returned it within 14 days for the new Note 7.

This is very messy and a huge scar on Samsung. The costs have already been 10% deflation in their stock price and we know there are more severe penalties and settlements coming. Shame really.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Even tho that practice might protect people from being harmed imo that should in no way be possible! My device, my responsibility!

And I agree. This is why I said that could never happen. Samsung has already debunked that as well.

shockracer

Reaction score
If they don't get their hands on the affected units we will have a Firestone repeat. Where as Firestone replaced the affected tires and told dealers to destroy existing stock and used tires once removed. The method of which was to take a hole saw to the sidewall and install a 1 inch hole or so. A lot of those "destroyed" tires wound up in Mexico for sale. Of course some migrated back north where the trial lawyers had another field day.

I say return or brick it with warning. But some people will still utilize their device in some capacity, after all it's free. Toddler pacifier?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That was forced by Ford. Ford had compensated for a rough riding vehicle by lowering tire pressure to 26 PSI, far to low for any SUV. I worked in that industry for years and we refused to set pressures that low. The weight of the vehicle and that low of a pressure generated a ton of heat to an already weak sidewall that equaled disaster.

Firestone and Ford tire controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia