Samsung Considering Remotely Disabling Note 7 Device's That Aren't Returned

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
That was forced by Ford. Ford had compensated for a rough riding vehicle by lowering tire pressure to 26 PSI, far to low for any SUV. I worked in that industry for years and we refused to set pressures that low. The weight of the vehicle and that low of a pressure generated a ton of heat to an already weak sidewall that equaled disaster.

Firestone and Ford tire controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The point being is that the tires turned back up in southern CA after being purchased in Mexico. Serial numbers confirmed their origin. Yes I took delivery of a 8800GVW dodge with lowered tire pressures. How do I know? The side walls had "tennis balls" growing on the side within a month. And the pre-delivery sheet had 32 psi written on it.

A lot of people are opportunistic. If they receive a new phone some may try and sell a "bad branded" phone on the open market. I'm quite sure it'll be a trade in at a authorized store. You can never underestimate the dishonestly some people will stoop to.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The point being is that the tires turned back up in southern CA after being purchased in Mexico. Serial numbers confirmed their origin. Yes I took delivery of a 8800GVW dodge with lowered tire pressures. How do I know? The side walls had "tennis balls" growing on the side within a month. And the pre-delivery sheet had 32 psi written on it.

A lot of people are opportunistic. If they receive a new phone some may try and sell a "bad branded" phone on the open market. I'm quite sure it'll be a trade in at a authorized store. You can never underestimate the dishonestly some people will stoop to.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
I agree that in the case of the tires it was beyond Firestone's control regarding tire pressure, however the sidewalls were deemed weak so it was a two fold problem with improper inflation causing undue stress from over-flexing and thereby generating excess heat.

The same may hold true here in that the batteries may be slightly flawed, but then the charging process is so hard on them that it is the catalyst that causes catastrophic failure. I'm not saying the batteries aren't defective enough on there own to be recalled, just that if charged at slower, "standard" charging rates they may not fail at all.

We're pushing these batteries to their limits already, and they are volatile to begin with. No other battery chemistry is anywhere near as potentially dangerous. No other battery exists in such a controlled state of chaos, running in a narrow range between failure for too low a voltage and thermal runaway for too high. No other battery that I'm aware of develops internal shunts that result in it exploding and bursting into torch-temperature shooting flames.

If these batteries are charged slowly and carefully they perform tremendously well, but if you push them beyond the breaking point - something easily done if you try (just ask RC fans), they will fail catastrophically. So my argument is, are the batteries that are failing really all that defective, or is it just that the fast charging process incorporated into the Note 7 is somehow flawed such that it pushes marginally safe batteries beyond the breaking point?

We're pushing greater and greater power demands on these batteries with more and more powerful phones and larger displays. At the same time we're trying to go thinner and smaller in battery size to allow the phones to become nothing more than a screen and battery. So then when we reach critical mass we start trying to squeeze more performance out of the batteries, boost charging them in 15 minutes to near half their capacity, generating... Wait for it... Excess Heat, and really pushing the envelope on what's safe with an already delicate balance in electrochemical containment.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
A staggering 1 billion dollars? That's play money to Samsung. Didn't they drop 12 billion last year in advertising alone?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Samsung has reportedly lost or will lose 19 billion over this.

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

juggjiggler69

Reaction score
Yeah. I wouldn't take the chance. Not worth it to me. Even though the reports are really very few considering how many units they sold, I'd much rather take a new device and spend a little time setting it up than run the risk of explosion.

I haven't seen any sort of deadline or timeline for the exchange program, but I have to believe they're not going to be replacing devices indefinitely.
I heard they have it till the end of September

juggjiggler69

Reaction score
This jibes with the 'next week' expected delivery as told to me today.

This is wat samsung told me today that i should be able to get a revised N7 by the end of next week also

juggjiggler69

Reaction score
All you have to do is call 855 sam usa1 and hit 2 and ask them wen they come on the phone,there is no remote shut off going to happen and like i said they waiting for the CPHC or watever goverment group to clear the new devices they have and once this happens the people that registered there device will get an email saying the the new revised note 7 is available then we can trade in the old one with everything that it came with in the box to get the new one. And yes they said they should be releasing them this week yet and we should have new ones in our hands next week. They are replacing the ones that people have bought first before putting them back on sale to the public and i was also told it dont matter where it says it was made they encourage you to trade it in,hell mine says made in korea on the back and apparently in other reports thats the bad ones,well mine only ever hit 105° which is not bad while charging and playing games at the same time (u know like ur not supposed to do),but anyway this is wat samsung just told me an hour ago if that. And there is no gear vr,or any other free stuff,just a $25 credit or coupon for an accessory item,a waived restocking fee till the end of September (so there u know they will have are new phones by then) and or exchange for the s7,s7 edge,or note 5 i thing he said then take it back to get the new N7 wen released.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
All you have to do is call 855 sam usa1 and hit 2 and ask them wen they come on the phone,there is no remote shut off going to happen and like i said they waiting for the CPHC or watever goverment group to clear the new devices they have and once this happens the people that registered there device will get an email saying the the new revised note 7 is available then we can trade in the old one with everything that it came with in the box to get the new one. And yes they said they should be releasing them this week yet and we should have new ones in our hands next week. They are replacing the ones that people have bought first before putting them back on sale to the public and i was also told it dont matter where it says it was made they encourage you to trade it in,hell mine says made in korea on the back and apparently in other reports thats the bad ones,well mine only ever hit 105° which is not bad while charging and playing games at the same time (u know like ur not supposed to do),but anyway this is wat samsung just told me an hour ago if that. And there is no gear vr,or any other free stuff,just a $25 credit or coupon for an accessory item,a waived restocking fee till the end of September (so there u know they will have are new phones by then) and or exchange for the s7,s7 edge,or note 5 i thing he said then take it back to get the new N7 wen released.

Great info and again matches nicely with what I said today that I was told, and what I've been saying in posts a day ago and more. Thank you for lending credibility to things some are also saying including me.