Motorola XOOM $800 plus minimum 1 month service?

neimand

Reaction score
Think I'll wait until it actually comes out before I decide to make judgments on it and others posting here, nothing good comes from rummer mills.

Caesarg

Reaction score
I am typing this on my rooted nook color running honeycomb at 1.1ghz on a 1024x600 IPS screen. Me thinks not bad for $250. I use it for email, web surfing, pics, docs/excel reading and editing and the occasional video or music. Oh and it is a great ereader. So I need the zoom why? If I was going to spend 800 it would be for a fairly high end laptop.

Oh and as for the price I think you can blame apple lovers in part for it. Millions had no problem paying what 500-800 or so for a grossly overpriced IPad that they probably didn't really know what they would do with it so why wouldn't Motorola expect the same? Apple set the price for tablets. If you are waiting for HTC or LG or any other tablet to be cheap, I wouldn't hold your breath. Give it a couple of years and I will bet you can get really decent tablets for 200-300. JMHO. Supply and demand.

OP
A

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
To be honest, it's just an annoying highly used business strategy...

1. Sell high, some will buy it.

2. When sales drop, lower the price a little and more people will buy.

3. Repeat step 2 until the device is at 3/5 the original price then keep it there.

That's what pretty much everyone does.

Caesarg

Reaction score
I am typing this on my rooted nook color running honeycomb at 1.1ghz on a 1024x600 IPS screen. Me thinks not bad for $250. I use it for email, web surfing, pics, docs/excel reading and editing and the occasional video or music. Oh and it is a great ereader. So I need the zoom why? If I was going to spend 800 it would be for a fairly high end laptop.

Oh and as for the price I think you can blame apple lovers in part for it. Millions had no problem paying what 500-800 or so for a grossly overpriced IPad that they probably didn't really know what they would do with it so why wouldn't Motorola expect the same? Apple set the price for tablets. If you are waiting for HTC or LG or any other tablet to be cheap, I wouldn't hold your breath. Give it a couple of years and I will bet you can get really decent tablets for 200-300. JMHO. Supply and demand.

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how inexpensive one month is, if I have no intention of using vzw service, I shouldn't be forced to do so.

tappin and a talkin
Thank you, Expecially to use YOUR own wifi.... $800 and i cant use my own wifi. What a rip.

Why don't they just put an Apple logo on it and call it a day? With that price tag, and having it locked down like that and having to pay extra to get the basic functionality that it should have out of the box, it might as well be an Apple product...

Pass.

There will be a gazillion Honeycomb tabs to choose from this year, so I am not concerned.

Reaction score
Just get it and give it a week and there will be a rooted version thats tthe same os with no stupid lock-down issues.... and I think its funny you even COMPARE this to the ipad... go ahead and get a wifi only ipad... no cameras whatsoever, worse than its phone counterpart, single core, 256mb of RAM, GO AHEAD! get a crappy ipad lol... first of all one month of service is cheap, its probably a ploy to make people want to pay for the 3g (if its even true in the sense people think it is) and Second, there's no reason you couldn't get it and then wait a week (probably less), root it and have your free wifi.

Sent from my Droid

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just get it and give it a week and there will be a rooted version thats tthe same os with no stupid lock-down issues.... and I think its funny you even COMPARE this to the ipad... go ahead and get a wifi only ipad... no cameras whatsoever, worse than its phone counterpart, single core, 256mb of RAM, GO AHEAD! get a crappy ipad lol... first of all one month of service is cheap, its probably a ploy to make people want to pay for the 3g (if its even true in the sense people think it is) and Second, there's no reason you couldn't get it and then wait a week (probably less), root it and have your free wifi.

Sent from my Droid

I am comparing it to the iPad, not in specs, but in how they are packaging it and locking it down.

Why pay $800 for a tablet, and then have to get a data plan to unlock a BUILT IN FEATURE??

That type of crappy business practice, is what reminds me of Apple.

eg. MMS texts are the industry standard, even a cheap flip phone can snap a pic and send it to someone via text. Apple decides that you should not have that, and intentionally withholds that from the iPhone. Then 18 months later, they release it as an "upgrade" and tout their "new feature"...

That kind of stuff irritates me. $800 would buy you a really nice laptop that will run circles around the Xoom. More power, more memory, more storage, and it woudn't be locked down, or require a data plan to use Wifi.

All you are getting out of the Xoom, is that it is flat and thinner. Big deal. Not worth it at that price point and the data plan just adds insult to injury.

If it was $399 it would make a neat gadget. But to charge that much money for a crippled laptop? No thanks.

UNC

Reaction score
You Apple haters are everywhere.... Don't bash the iPad because the Xoom is "overpriced" to you.

Anyway you guys always compare brand new Android devices with year old Apple tech. Its funny actually.

The Xoom is awesome though, and has a pretty good price. Jeez people, I can't afford a Ferrari, does that make Enzo's company evil somehow? You all need to learn that not all products are meant for everyone to be able to afford. $800 for a tablet is great when a phone is $600...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is a reason why Apple haters are everywhere. Many of us were customers of theirs and got fed up and went elsewhere. We could devote many pages to the stupid and restrictive things that Apple has done over the past couple decades. Whether they are intentionally denying users what are considered industry standards, or outright lying about how fast their computers are(Or aren't, as the case was), their approach to the market and their customer base is very arrogant.

In any case, the Xoom has a fraction of the storage, power or flexibility of a comparably priced laptop, no matter how you slice it...

They are cool. But not $800 plus tax plus a data plan worth of cool.

Reaction score
All I'm saying is the high end ipad was the same for less... and yes you could be a pretty nice laptop for that much and it would have a lot nicer hardwaee and you could do more with it. But tablets aren't the same as laptops... more like high end, fancy netbooks lol... next year (and possibly later this year) they will start having the power, and hopefully the support for similar functionality (gaming).

For now, they look super cool, the things they do (email, movies, maps, etc) they do fast and well (more so then a laptop in many cases).
Xoom is better than ipad, yes. Xoom is newer than ipad, yes. Although parts of the xoom are locked down, it will probably still have a good modding community. Personally, I will most likely be waiting till end of the year or next (quad-cores) before I get a tablet... mostly cuz I'm building a computer now and will he upgrading my phone this year, so its not entirely in the budget lol

Sent from my Droid

Reaction score
Dang not being able to edit my post using the app....

I forgot to mention the ipad2 (and over a dozen android tablets) will b coming out later this year, most of which will make the xoom look like how the xoom is now making most/all the other tablets look right now... that's just his it goes these days lol

Sent from my Droid