Motorola Xoom Official Press Release with Pricing from Verizon - $599 on Contract

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 22, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

Yesterday we shared with you the page on Verizon's website letting us know officially 'when' the Motorola Xoom was arriving. Today we received the full, official press release with pricing. As we already knew, the Verizon version will be $799 without a contract and Data service starts a $20 per month for 1 GB at 3G speeds. You can get the Tablet for only $599 if you sign a two-year contract. Here's a quote from the release:
    Below is the source link for the full press release.

Source: Verizon Wireless - Motorola Xoom Full Press Release
  2. AndyMan

AndyMan New Member

likely a fee if you cancel the contract??
  3. bazar6

bazar6 Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

2 year contract? Nooooooooooo
  4. Stelv

Stelv New Member

I made a little graphic for Motorola and the Xoom, lol.
  5. New2u

New2u DF Super Moderator

You will most likely have to pay the ETF because it is a 2-yr contract at that point, it's not month to month.
  6. bazar6

It'd be cheaper to pay the $800 with no contract up front, than the $600 with $20/mo data locked at 2 years. You'd end up paying $480 over that 2 year contract, IF you don't cancel within the 2 years (not sure what the cancel fee is, but it'll definitely be there if this is what they're requiring)
  7. Jaxidian

Jaxidian Team FreeMyMoto Premium Member Developer

This is very disappointing, but I guess it kinda makes sense.

With my Droid X, I got a $400 discount by going with a contract. With the Xoom, I would only get a $200 discount. That said, I guess they do have both voice and data to subsidize the phone with while they only have data to subsidize the Xoom with. :-/

However, I guess it's good that they have an on-contract option for people who want the 3g/4g.
  8. Guit4rG0d

Guit4rG0d New Member

$800 for Wifi only?!
    No thank you.
  9. AndyMan

AndyMan New Member

for now... this would have a 3G radio though, its not that wifi only... so if down the road you decided you wanted the 4G, you wouldnt be stuck with a wifi only model...
  10. Guit4rG0d

Guit4rG0d New Member

I understand that, its just I have a D1 that is upgradeable in November, so I dont want to spend $800 for Wifi only tab, when im going to get another phone in a few months.

And I already use My D1 to wirelessly theater my brothers Ipad, and thats what I planed on doing, but $800 is too steep
  11. bazar6

And another interesting bit bout the contract (for those who haven't read it)

Return Policy & Termination Fee | Verizon Wireless
  12. AndyMan

AndyMan New Member

So that being said, if you were looking for a wifi only, your best either waiting for the wifi only to come out, so if you want it that bad, spend 799 and get it without contract...

I will wait to hear if they can break the bootloader.. I really want the Xoom, but if its locked down, I may end up waiting for one of the others coming out soon to see if they can be unlocked.
  13. bazar6

That's how I'm seeing it. If you (like me) use your phone to tether, and don't want to go thru the 4G upgrade hassle, I'd just wait for the wifi only. If you think you're going to terminate the contract within the 2 years, the termination fee automatically makes the subsidized version more expensive if you don't want to pay $480 (base plan of $20/month) over the course two years.

It's pretty good planning, not sure how many people actually use their phone to tether (not talking about just DF members, but VZW smartphone customer base as a whole) who automatically think they need to get the contract. Their loss, not mine ;)
  14. droidoesall

droidoesall New Member

just to let you guys know. etf for the device is $350. and 3g data plans are $20/1gb, $35/3gb, $50/5gb, $80/10gb. how do i know this... i am a vzw rep and personally i am getting the xoom when it is released. $600 price for all the spec this device offers is not bad. at $800 i definietly was not going to get it. but know that its cheaper im going for it. besides everyone always complains about doing contracts but they end up getting a phone with a contract anyways so i dont see why people complain so much.
  15. bazar6

a lot of people are complaining because of the need for an additional contract, on top of the contract for the phone they already have. A phone is understandable, but I don't want to do one for a tablet. At least that's how I see it.

Not sure if the etf or the same monthly rates apply to you since your a rep, but you did see the breakdown right? It's more expensive in the long run for the subsidized $600 version ($600 + [2*24] = $1080**) compared to the flat $800 version.

If you were to get a contract, getting it for one month then terminating would still be much more ($600 + $20 (data) + $350 (etf) = $1350**)

Which is why I thought it was a good business plan, not sure how many people think about the payments.

**Not including activation, taxes and other fees which I have no clue would be added.
  16. bazar6

Dang my math was off... $970, not $1350
  17. Stelv

Stelv New Member

I think I will go buy a laptop for $600 and use time warner roadrunner (which is unlminted data and same speed or higher than 3g) for $30 a month. Better yet, I will just run Honeycomb on my rooted Nook Color that only cost me $259, and use Wifi. $20 for 1gb of data is a rip off, IMO. I can view maybe 20 webpages on 1gb.
  18. droidoesall

droidoesall New Member

yes you can go that route and use your rooted nook but the nook does not have all the same specs that the xoom has which is why i want it in the first place. it wouldnt make sence for a company to sell a product and loose money on it. also it costs vzw $20-$30 of upkeep every line every month to keep a line working, and thats not including if you call customer service, which costs $10-$20 depending on what your doing. i find that the data prices are very reasonable and hopefully the 4g data prices will be too. and i live in a downtown city with a lot of wifi areas but not all areas are free wifi.
  19. Stelv

Stelv New Member

Well I am glad we all have choices. Paying for a data plan on a phone and a device is just ridiculous IMO. The Xoom may have some bits of hardware in it, but the OS is no where's near that of a laptop, not even close. It has no benefit past a laptop and it is a luxury item. If people have the money to blow on a Xoom go ahead. I do not see the xoom selling well at all. It will be a total flop. For one reason Moto's last two devices were total flops.
  20. wolftown

wolftown New Member

Xoom BootLoader

According to Motorola's Twitter Feed

"the XOOM will have an unlockable/relockable bootloader that will enable developers to access hardware for development"

Motorola Mobility (Motorola) on Twitter