Motorola Xoom Official Press Release with Pricing from Verizon - $599 on Contract

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Motorola-XOOMfp.jpg

Yesterday we shared with you the page on Verizon's website letting us know officially 'when' the Motorola Xoom was arriving. Today we received the full, official press release with pricing. As we already knew, the Verizon version will be $799 without a contract and Data service starts a $20 per month for 1 GB at 3G speeds. You can get the Tablet for only $599 if you sign a two-year contract. Here's a quote from the release:
The
first device to run Google’s new Android 3.0 Honeycomb operating
system, the Motorola XOOM will be available for purchase from Verizon
Wireless for $599.99 with a new two-year customer agreement or $799.99
without a contract. Wireless 3G data service for the Motorola XOOM
will begin at $20 monthly access for 1GB. The Motorola XOOM will be
upgradeable to 4G LTE service at no additional charge in the second
quarter of 2011.
Below is the source link for the full press release.

Source: Verizon Wireless - Motorola Xoom Full Press Release

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
It'd be cheaper to pay the $800 with no contract up front, than the $600 with $20/mo data locked at 2 years. You'd end up paying $480 over that 2 year contract, IF you don't cancel within the 2 years (not sure what the cancel fee is, but it'll definitely be there if this is what they're requiring)

Jaxidian

Team FreeMyMoto
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jaxidian.org
This is very disappointing, but I guess it kinda makes sense.

With my Droid X, I got a $400 discount by going with a contract. With the Xoom, I would only get a $200 discount. That said, I guess they do have both voice and data to subsidize the phone with while they only have data to subsidize the Xoom with. :-/

However, I guess it's good that they have an on-contract option for people who want the 3g/4g.

AndyMan

Reaction score
$800 for Wifi only?!
No thank you.

for now... this would have a 3G radio though, its not that wifi only... so if down the road you decided you wanted the 4G, you wouldnt be stuck with a wifi only model...

Guit4rG0d

Reaction score
$800 for Wifi only?!
No thank you.

for now... this would have a 3G radio though, its not that wifi only... so if down the road you decided you wanted the 4G, you wouldnt be stuck with a wifi only model...

I understand that, its just I have a D1 that is upgradeable in November, so I dont want to spend $800 for Wifi only tab, when im going to get another phone in a few months.

And I already use My D1 to wirelessly theater my brothers Ipad, and thats what I planed on doing, but $800 is too steep

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
And another interesting bit bout the contract (for those who haven't read it)

You may terminate service for any reason within 14 days of activation. If you purchased a wireless device at a promotional price at the time of activation, you must return it within the device return period to avoid being assessed an Early Termination Fee of $175, or $350 if you purchased an Advanced Device.
Return Policy & Termination Fee | Verizon Wireless

AndyMan

Reaction score
And another interesting bit bout the contract (for those who haven't read it)

You may terminate service for any reason within 14 days of activation. If you purchased a wireless device at a promotional price at the time of activation, you must return it within the device return period to avoid being assessed an Early Termination Fee of $175, or $350 if you purchased an Advanced Device.
Return Policy & Termination Fee | Verizon Wireless

So that being said, if you were looking for a wifi only, your best either waiting for the wifi only to come out, so if you want it that bad, spend 799 and get it without contract...

I will wait to hear if they can break the bootloader.. I really want the Xoom, but if its locked down, I may end up waiting for one of the others coming out soon to see if they can be unlocked.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
That's how I'm seeing it. If you (like me) use your phone to tether, and don't want to go thru the 4G upgrade hassle, I'd just wait for the wifi only. If you think you're going to terminate the contract within the 2 years, the termination fee automatically makes the subsidized version more expensive if you don't want to pay $480 (base plan of $20/month) over the course two years.

It's pretty good planning, not sure how many people actually use their phone to tether (not talking about just DF members, but VZW smartphone customer base as a whole) who automatically think they need to get the contract. Their loss, not mine ;)

droidoesall

Reaction score
just to let you guys know. etf for the device is $350. and 3g data plans are $20/1gb, $35/3gb, $50/5gb, $80/10gb. how do i know this... i am a vzw rep and personally i am getting the xoom when it is released. $600 price for all the spec this device offers is not bad. at $800 i definietly was not going to get it. but know that its cheaper im going for it. besides everyone always complains about doing contracts but they end up getting a phone with a contract anyways so i dont see why people complain so much.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
a lot of people are complaining because of the need for an additional contract, on top of the contract for the phone they already have. A phone is understandable, but I don't want to do one for a tablet. At least that's how I see it.

Not sure if the etf or the same monthly rates apply to you since your a rep, but you did see the breakdown right? It's more expensive in the long run for the subsidized $600 version ($600 + [2*24] = $1080**) compared to the flat $800 version.

If you were to get a contract, getting it for one month then terminating would still be much more ($600 + $20 (data) + $350 (etf) = $1350**)

Which is why I thought it was a good business plan, not sure how many people think about the payments.

**Not including activation, taxes and other fees which I have no clue would be added.