Pricing info leaked for the HTC Thunderbolt and the Motorola XOOM

Kag Pirate

Reaction score
I am just saying... for $800 and a 2 year contract to boot... I could get a laptop that would outperform the tab in every way, be bigger screen, whatever... and I could do it for less money and have no contract.

Don't get me wrong, the nerd in me wants a tablet.. i really do.. but I just can't figure out a good reason to do it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to assume here.. $800 fot the tablet adn $30 a month for 2 years for a data plan.. that's $1520. When I see numbers that big I think.. 50" + TV, Xbox, furniture, landscaping, maid, quad monitor PC (yes I would use that), BEER, etc.... I just can't bring myself to get one.

I also agree with this and get a longer battery life as well. Laptops even can be charged VIA your car power outlet. Yet the tablet is better to carry around and take places.

Don't get me wrong, the nerd in me wants a tablet.. i really do.. but I just can't figure out a good reason to do it.

I also been saying the same thing and been saying is it worth that much money for the Xoom or Ipad1,2,3,4, ect ....

Kag Pirate

Reaction score
I am just saying... for $800 and a 2 year contract to boot... I could get a laptop that would outperform the tab in every way, be bigger screen, whatever... and I could do it for less money and have no contract.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to assume here.. $800 fot the tablet adn $30 a month for 2 years for a data plan.. that's $1520. When I see numbers that big I think.. 50" + TV, Xbox, furniture, landscaping, maid, quad monitor PC (yes I would use that), BEER, etc.... I just can't bring myself to get one.

I also agree with this and get a longer battery life as well. Laptops even can be charged VIA your car power outlet. Yet the tablet is better to carry around and take places.

I also been saying the same thing and been saying is it worth that much money for the Xoom or Ipad1,2,3,4, ect ....

Reading a bit more even if it would drop to 500 or other factors bring price down a laptop to me seem better idea then a tablet.... well for me anymore.

UNC

Reaction score
You guys completely disregard the fact that any nice smartphone costs $600... If you pay $600 for a phone, why is $800 for a tablet a stretch?

From reading the posts I get the impression that you guys think a tablet should costs less than a phone.... That makes sense how?

wmnomore

Reaction score
Everyone sees the subsidized prices-those are acceptable.
Not many people buy at retail.
This tablet will NOT sell very well at $800. If they can subsidize without requiring a monthly premium, then it may sell-$400-500 on contract?

bmchan

Reaction score
The market will get saturated with Honeycomb tablets soon and the price will come down. Get a look at the Toshiba tablet that was teased yesterday:

Toshiba Tablet

No price or date but with some patience.....

BachinPhx

Reaction score
$800 for a 10 inch tablet... Someone help me.. I could get a REALLY nice laptop for less than that and wireless tether it to my phone for free (rooted). I just don't get the tablet hype.

+1 for a kick a$$ laptop for well UNDER $800. WTH are they thinking? I am seeing a nice 15" laptop in my future. Fail tablets for me at least.

Plus, here's the part I don't get. We all have smartphones that do essentially what the tablets do. Is this not a redundancy? Help me out here.:reddroid:

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
$800 for a 10 inch tablet... Someone help me.. I could get a REALLY nice laptop for less than that and wireless tether it to my phone for free (rooted). I just don't get the tablet hype.

+1 for a kick a$$ laptop for well UNDER $800. WTH are they thinking? I am seeing a nice 15" laptop in my future. Fail tablets for me at least.

Plus, here's the part I don't get. We all have smartphones that do essentially what the tablets do. Is this not a redundancy? Help me out here.:reddroid:
I'm finding for $250 having a 7" (rooted) Nook Color is a more enjoyable way to sit on the couch and read email, news, ebooks, and watch movies.

Even though it duplicates what my Droid does, I'm starting to feel like the 3.7" screen on the Droid makes it best for other things, especially when I'm mobile. Same thing with my laptop--that's ideal for work-related stuff.

Couch = tablet. :)

Admittedly, for $250 the price is right. At $500 or $600...not so much.

-Matt

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
What up fellow rooted nook owner! I agree the NC color is gotta be the best tab on the market for the price. Once we get these talked about custom roms then it will even compete with the big dogs. I'd even say its almost as good ad the galaxy tab right now.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
...if u want to spend 800 go buy a laptop...or spend 250 on a nook color and root it!

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What up fellow rooted nook owner! I agree the NC color is gotta be the best tab on the market for the price. Once we get these talked about custom roms then it will even compete with the big dogs. I'd even say its almost as good ad the galaxy tab right now.

Hey Stelv I was just about to ask if you saw my earlier message buried in this thread about androidtablets.net (WE BEAT THE ARCHOS!!! Huawei is NEXT!) but you're already a member!

Very cool, more love for the Nook. Those who don't have one just wouldn't understand. ;)

-Matt

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score

Hey Stelv I was just about to ask if you saw my earlier message buried in this thread about androidtablets.net (WE BEAT THE ARCHOS!!! Huawei is NEXT!) but you're already a member!

Very cool, more love for the Nook. Those who don't have one just wouldn't understand. ;)

-Matt

We beat the archos in every way lol. It doesn't stand a chance. People over here should really check out the NC if they are looking for a very capable tab that is easy to root. Big up to the NC!

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
My strategy may be to wait until, say, September and then pick up the Thunderbolt at a lower price. In any event, Motorola is NOT part of the equation for me.

-Mike

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
My strategy may be to wait until, say, September and then pick up the Thunderbolt at a lower price. In any event, Motorola is NOT part of the equation for me.

-Mike

I can't say a locked bootloader is really a deal breaker for me, but if I get something like the Bionic and then Ice Cream is a leap for the OS (like docking capabilities, or improvements in mirroring, you know real tablet/PC replacement potential)....That would be hugely disappointing.

The phones won't be obsolete and will still be perfectly functional....But nothing is more frustrating than having technical specs to handle an improved OS upgrade and simply not get pushed it.

And I'll just circle back to whining about 512mg ram. Google may try to keep Android from becoming bloated, but that is always going be in direct opposition to adding features to enable Android to do more and more. Ohh, look, people want Android to run a tv, their home security system, car starters, the cofee maker, etc....Well, that's more code that needs to be added.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Moto has turned a lot of people off. It will be interesting to see how the xoom does. I think it will flop.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock

-Mike

I can't say a locked bootloader is really a deal breaker for me, but if I get something like the Bionic and then Ice Cream is a leap for the OS (like docking capabilities, or improvements in mirroring, you know real tablet/PC replacement potential)....That would be hugely disappointing.

The phones won't be obsolete and will still be perfectly functional....But nothing is more frustrating than having technical specs to handle an improved OS upgrade and simply not get pushed it.

And I'll just circle back to whining about 512mg ram. Google may try to keep Android from becoming bloated, but that is always going be in direct opposition to adding features to enable Android to do more and more. Ohh, look, people want Android to run a tv, their home security system, car starters, the cofee maker, etc....Well, that's more code that needs to be added.

It's not just the locked bootloader for me. I have real, personal animosity towards Motorola and wish them only the worst luck, as a company. I'd like to see their market share drop to next to nothing - THAT would make me very happy. :)

-Mike