HTC Thunderbolt Will Have Hotspot Function

WenWM

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

The question whether the HTC Thunderbolt will have of a Mobile Hotspot function has been blowing around the web for a bit now, but this new screenshot says there are no worries; it’ll be there at launch. The document that was leaked by Engadget is actually an updated version of a previously leaked document, that stated the Thunderbolt will be able to handle simultaneously voice and data. Now, this one says it’ll have a wireless hotspot functionality on launch date as well. This means you'll be able to create a very useful open Wi-Fi network for 5 of your devices; Galaxy Tab, iPhone 4, Motorola Xoom, Camera and more.

I wonder if Verizon will charge a fee to let us use this feature? What do you think of this little tidbit.

Source (HTC Thunderbolt WILL Feature Mobile Hotspot at Launch | Android Phone Fans)

Last edited by a moderator:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The question is why do these features receive so much attention when VZW bends you over for tethering prices (non-root, of course)?

wmnomore

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd be interested if anybody uses the hotspot app without rooting. It's MY data, I'll use it as i like.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Well, if VZW let everyone tether many people would ditch home broadband (much more of an issue with LTE) and then average data use would increase 10X or more and then the network WOULD be overloaded. Which is probably why tethering is explicitly EXCLUDED from your data plan.

techguru

Reaction score
Well, if VZW let everyone tether many people would ditch home broadband (much more of an issue with LTE) and then average data use would increase 10X or more and then the network WOULD be overloaded. Which is probably why tethering is explicitly EXCLUDED from your data plan.

Yup.

The good news is that they pro-rate the tethering plan for the actual days used, so you can add if you need it (say going on a trip and no WiFi or expensive WiFi at your hotel) and turn it off when you get home. It is billed a month in advance, so you will get hit for the full charge, then the next month get a credit which evens it out. Be sure to shut it off the day AFTER you have stopped tethering or you will get nailed with very high charges for any tethered data.

I don't really mind (well not much anyway) the extra monthly charge, but I do still hate the very low gigabyte limit and the relatively high over-charges (although they are much better than they were last year...).

Of course, they still haven't published LTE smartphone plan rates yet, so my position may change next week.

Alan

bearklaws007

Reaction score
The hot spot is B.S....I pay for unlimeted...but they want more ...It is plane and simple, they want to bleed more money from anyone they can...

sorry for the rant..........

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
The hot spot is B.S....I pay for unlimeted...but they want more ...It is plane and simple, they want to bleed more money from anyone they can...

sorry for the rant..........

Actually, you need to read the posts above you again because they make perfect sense. Especially with LTE, everyone would ditch their home broadband and the Verizon network WOULD slow to a crawl. Make no mistake about that. To think otherwise is ludicrous.

I understand your sentiment, but what is being said is true. If it were free, it would be disastrous for the network.

BlackDiamond

Reaction score
Well whats the Deal with Apple Getting a Hotspot Function in there iphone 4, and i have heard that it will be free. Was that one of the stipulations for Apple to come over to VZW? And who was it to make that descision was it Apple or VZW?

Why does Apple get hotspot for free, and Android Users have to suffer??

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
The iPhone is not getting the hotspot for free. I have confirmed that since I'll be ordering the iPhone for my wife the day after tomorrow. Verizon finally confirmed you have to pay on their website.

BlackDiamond

Reaction score
The iPhone is not getting the hotspot for free. I have confirmed that since I'll be ordering the iPhone for my wife the day after tomorrow. Verizon finally confirmed you have to pay on their website.

Ah Ok, see i have heard since the Iphone was being released that one of its key features would be the HotSpot and that it would be offer'd for free. And that made no sense to me. Thanks for clearing that up!

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

Ah Ok, see i have heard since the Iphone was being released that one of its key features would be the HotSpot and that it would be offer'd for free. And that made no sense to me. Thanks for clearing that up!

Don't sweat it, I had been hearing the same thing. On that note I AM still irritable that the Palm's do get the free hotspot function. I don't care that they want to get rid of them, that isn't my concern. It's unfair that those devices get free hotspot and the rest of us don't.