[Exclusive] Leaked Xoom Info / Contract Requirements from Costco

Big Lou

Reaction score
This is beginning to look like a failure. They started off great, what with a sexy product that could actually rival the iPad. However, with an exorbitant price and now a required data plan, this is looking less and less like a mass-appeal product. What are they thinking?

They need more options: smaller storage and without 3G for around $500 like the iPad's.

s13_slider

Reaction score
On that note, isn't the ETF's sole purpose is to help recoup costs of a subsidized device if the contract is ended early? In theory, anyway.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is beginning to look like a failure. They started off great, what with a sexy product that could actually rival the iPad. However, with an exorbitant price and now a required data plan, this is looking less and less like a mass-appeal product. What are they thinking?

They need more options: smaller storage and without 3G for around $500 like the iPad's.
You stole the words out of my mouth! Just like the Galaxy Tab's enormous price at first, this thing has priced itself right out of the market. And on top of that they make you get 1 month of data just to enable wifi? What kind of business practice is that? That is how you enrage a customer base, not gain loyalty.

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
That is how you enrage a customer base, not gain loyalty.

And based on the reactions from this forum (and others), it sounds like they're doing just that, before it even hits the market! Course, we may also be paying for them to use Ochocinco and his OCNN to market it too.

GrillMouster

Reaction score
If they were to add a zero to the end of that rebate amount, I'd be all over the Xoom.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

You stole the words out of my mouth! Just like the Galaxy Tab's enormous price at first, this thing has priced itself right out of the market. And on top of that they make you get 1 month of data just to enable wifi? What kind of business practice is that? That is how you enrage a customer base, not gain loyalty.
I'm really not sure what the best pricing/marketing plan might be. We've seen a lot of devices that come out high for early-adopters, followed by a quick drop in price in the next several months. This seems true of the Droid as much it is of the iPhone. I don't like that pricing model...but it happens a lot.

The Galaxy Tab pretty much followed that route: the 3G+wifi model is now out there for $399 with no contract required. BUT HERE is the interesting part: some carriers (e.g,. Sprint) have required 1 month on their data plan, and then cancellation is OK with no penalty. Over at androidtablets.net, I saw numerous people HAPPILY jump on that offer.

The thing that I'm still puzzling over is that Motorola starts out with the same 1-month deal, and people flip out. WTF? I hate that it's all about market psychology, but I swear if Motorola began with 2-year contracts and then a few months later only required 1 month of data, prospective buyers would be saying "What a GREAT deal!" I guess it's all relative.

-Matt

spillner

Reaction score
The really sad part about this enormous cost is it doesn't take into account taxes and fees. I live in NY with a %8.75 sales tax.

$800+$70 (tax)+$35 (activation fee)+$20(data plan) = $925!

Motorola+Verizon= Xoom Fail

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
The really sad part about this enormous cost is it doesn't take into account taxes and fees. I live in NY with a %8.75 sales tax.

8.75%? How do you live? I'm rockin' 4%.

On second note, I'm going to wait to see how much the price drops with the Wi-fi Xoom. If it doesn't drop say... $200 then I'll look elsewhere. :D

spillner

Reaction score

On second note, I'm going to wait to see how much the price drops with the Wi-fi Xoom. If it doesn't drop say... $200 then I'll look elsewhere. :D

Welcome to NYS, where, if our budget cuts to get you our taxes will

AndyMan

Reaction score

Welcome to NYS, where, if our budget cuts to get you our taxes will

Fellow NY'er (Upstate) I feel your pain too!

ckeegan

Reaction score
Man, I wish that had the release date. I'm still banking on 2/24, but I'd love to see some solid confirmation.

Buying the Xoom on launch day.