Price Confirmed for Motorola Xoom - $799 Unsubsidized Verizon, $600 WiFi Only Model

Discussion in 'Android News' started by dgstorm, Feb 16, 2011.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Editor in Chief Staff Member Premium Member

[​IMG]

As reported by Reuters today, the Chief executive or Motorola, Sanjay Jha, confirmed the pricing for the Motorola Xoom. The unsubsidized Verizon version of the Xoom will be $799, and the W-Fi only version will come in 'around' $600. Although he did not indicate when they would start becoming available, most industry info suggests that pre-orders will start as early as tomorrow, and the Tablet should have its full launch on Thursday of next week.

Jha had this to say, "Competing with Apple you have to deliver premium products." There you have it straight from the horses mouth. Apparently those premium products come with a 'premium price'. What do you guys think? Is the Wi-Fi Only version less than you thought, more than you wanted, or right where it should be?

Source: AndroidTablets.net via Reuters
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  2. sb1831

sb1831 New Member

Everything is right where it should be. The 32Gb wifi iPad is still 600 with a quarter of the hardware on the Xoom. I don't think anyone can't justifiably argue about the prices.
  3. jaycemiskel

jaycemiskel New Member

Prices are definitely pretty good. The question is how long will it take for the WiFi model to come out. I would have liked to see the Verizon Xoom be priced at 699 and then maybe 100 dollar fee to upgrade to 4g so that way people who just wanted 3g could pay less because some people don't even have 4g right now and also because the 3g radio probably doesn't cost that much.
  4. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

I gotta say I am extremely relieved to see the $600 ballpark figure for the wifi only model. Now I can stop crying about the $800 price, haha.
  5. danDroid

danDroid DF Administrator Staff Member

$600! I can definitely live with that, not bad at all!
  6. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

The wifi version is right where it should be. As soon as it's available for pre-order I'm in.

I also was just reminded that my fantasy football team won this year... I forgot! Luckily the commissioner just shot me an email last weekend about sending me my championship pre-paid Visa and trophy! BAM! That my friends is a free XOOM! I was already socking away cash for one anyway, so I guess I'll use that for accessories.

dancedroid
  7. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

Still too expensive to me. Android tablets shouldn't cost as much as apple tabs. For those prices I'd get a netbook.
  8. Andrew C

Andrew C New Member

BIG sigh of relief! I will definitely be in on the pre-order for the wifi only Xoom.
  9. ICANSEEYOU7687

ICANSEEYOU7687 New Member

Why would a new android tablet, with a gig of memory. and a dual core processor cost less then an apple ipad, with a single core processor, and 256megs of ram?

You think the IPAD 2, 32gig wifi version is going to be less then 600$?

Anyways, I think I can definately live with 600$. I feel like with dual cores (and not to mention rooting the sucker) the XOOM will be able to keep up with the times very well, even as new technology comes out.

Hell with my Original Droid, rooted and overclocked, it can still keep up pretty well.
  10. GrillMouster

GrillMouster New Member

My opinion on whether it's worthwhile, even at $600, will be based on what applications are available and optimized for the tablet. I'll wait a while to see what develops before jumping.
  11. VideoGameMatt

VideoGameMatt New Member

while $600 is a much more attainable price the announcement of the tegra 4 kinda sours it for me. maybe if the xoom is fully unlocked so that it won't be stuck on whatever version of android moto leaves it on then i will get it. I guess i shall be waiting to see how the xoom looks after launch
  12. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Wait a second....So a 3G capable version - which would require it's own data plan (and voice?) is $200 more? Are you kidding me? On the other hand, $30 a month for a data plan and I could get rid of my home broadband ($50). VZW really needs some sort of bundled package, like unlimited LTE on 1 phone, 1 tablet and 1 PC for $60 a month.

Not complaining, wifi is the way to go (just get an LTE phone and tether!). $600 ain't a bad price at all.
  13. dfuser312553

dfuser312553 New Member

Because windows tabs are cheaper with better hardware. I hope this trend of "premium pricing" doesn't continue.
  14. Beardface

Beardface New Member

Cannot argue with the price. Looks like you'll be able to get the Wifi version of this beast for around $450 or less by the end of the summer after the initial demand drops a bit. Can't not like the sound of that!
  15. RyanPm40

RyanPm40 Member

Jeeze you could get a decent desktop computer or laptop for that price, as well!
  16. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

Hm, same price as the iPad WiFi 32GB, which is better than the original leak of only $800. Still I wish there was a 16GB version or something that rivals Apple's base price of $500.
  17. soulpatch

soulpatch New Member

Perhaps not less but right around the exact same price and moto should have priced themselves lower so as to capture market share. The ipad has a year head start and android tablets need to catch up to garner app dev interest.

Apple tends to add a lot more into their devices year after year without raising the price...i.e. iPhones
  18. DarkJeckyll

DarkJeckyll New Member

i think i will still be checking into the Toshiba tablet. After motos big lock down and the way the updates are with the droid series, the xoom just kinda lost my interest. Plus i like the styling of the Toshiba Tablet as well :icon_ banana:.
  19. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Keep dreaming.....
  20. DroidMastar2

DroidMastar2 New Member

That $600 Model is mine as soon as it is available...