Motorola Tells Customer to “Buy Elsewhere” if They Want Custom ROMs

Discussion in 'Android News' started by Preach2k, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I'm a very heavy proponent of custom ROMs and modding, but I can see where Motorola is coming from. And from those saying "I'll just buy HTC/other brand" just wait and see; to remain competitive in the market they will likely follow suit at some point, probably sooner rather than later.

Why am I saying this? Because taking measures to ensure that only approved software is able to run is vitally important if Android devices want to compete with RIM/Blackberry devices in the corporate/government environment. And with RIM continuing to lose market share; I suspect this is EXACTLY what they are up to.

Right now, RIM still offers an attractive option to these markets simply because the devices are so locked down. In many ways, this is the ONLY real advantage to a RIM device. If Android devices were to prove themselves just as secure, if not more; then alot of big time customers might jump on the bandwagon, if for no other reason to not be reliant on a BES infrastructure. But none of this is going to happen unless manufacturers take these steps to lock things down.

It seems like the Droid 1 is basically the CDMA answer to the Nexus One as far as moddability goes, and I agree with CK; I truly believe it is a collectors item; if you will.

2. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    See my post above. I believe that you are definitely thinking along the correct lines. Unfortunately for us, capturing the BB market would prove to be MUCH more lucrative for Moto than appeasing the 1% of us out here that actually CARE whether or not our bootloaders are unlocked.

3. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Well, someone CLAIMED to be on the verge of cracking it months ago. But it still hasn't happened. Not sure how some 17 year old is going to manage it without access to the 256-bit AES keys. Call me skeptical, but I don't see the X's bootloader EVER being fully cracked.

4. JonKyu

JonKyu Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well that kinda left a sour taste in my mouth. I may have to take their words to heart then.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

5. HelpeRX

HelpeRX Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Relpy

I think its a marketing strategy, if you lock the boot-loader then it enables the company to stop making software updates in the future such as gingerbread or honeycomb and forces the consumer to spend more money to buy the companies newer phones --- what apple does. If I wanted the new ios on the first generation touch I cant get it hence they are forcing an upgrade. =)

6. captclueless

captclueless Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Well I guess I will keep mine then. Here's my take on it.

When I first got my droid, I loved it. Still do in fact.
    But then I installed launcherpro....loved it even more. It ran better then ever.
    A couple of weeks ago I rooted it and installed the cyanogenmod rom... then I was dancedroid. My phone ran EVEN better! With launcherpro on top of THAT! My phone kicks some serious butt* (family friendly mod edit). Do I need to rush out and buy the newest phone all the time no. I like to customize stuff, makes it seem more like "mine" Not sure what my next phone will be, but I may not even root it. Depends. I do take responsibility if something happens to my phone since it was my decision to root.

#30 captclueless, Jan 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011
  7. Dusty

Dusty Gold Member

Ratings:
    +597
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 3XL
    Don't laugh too hard at what I'm about to say...

I actually think one of the more interesting developments in the tech scene is (get ready...) Windows Phone 7.

Seriously, think about it... back before the iPhone the most customizable and open platform was Windows Mobile. The hardware and software blew hot chunks but there were people making crazy apps for it back in the day. Microsoft didn't give a *Censored* about what you did with it. I don't know what the state it's in now other than it being just about dead, but I really think it could be interesting as far as having potential for truly open development. The upcoming hardware will be on par with what's out there and even if it catches on a little bit it might blow up. Also, they don't exactly have a difficult road ahead as far as the business crowd goes.

Yes the chances are slim because they're SOOOOOO far behind, but if the hacker community is looking for a capable platform it could lure some talented people. And if they produce the "perfect storm" things could get VERY interesting.

I just don't think Moto should be so cocky. Geek Cred built this beast and they shouldn't bite the hand that pulled them from the flames.

Good Lord... I can't believe I have an open mind about WP7.

What? It COULD happen!

8. styx

styx Member

Ratings:
    +0
  9. brando56894

brando56894 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This definitely annoys me, almost to the point where I may not buy another Moto device come November. I love the build quality of my droid but I need to be able to mod my next device.

If thats the case why dont they sell some devices that are unlocked and some are locked? Or maybe "special order" (un)locked versions of a specific model. I feel that every carrier/brand should have atleast one developer phone that isnt locked down at all.

10. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    You told us not to laugh to hard. I did it anyway. :D

Just looking at those Windows phones from AT&T on commercials makes them laughable. I'd take my old Blackberry Storm over one of those things.

11. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Because like I said, we represent probably ~1% of the total market. It would make absolutely NO sense for them to waste time and money releasing 2 seperate versions of a device for different markets. And they're DEFINITELY not going to do that for such a small percentage of users.

12. Sports1131

Sports1131 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm more annoyed with the arrogant tone of that Twitter message than the fact that the bootloader is going to be locked, but this still sucks.

Is the Thunderbolt that much more flexible? Can we install vanilla Gingerbread on there without HTC Sense? I'm still leaning towards the Bionic but if that is possible I may reconsider.