Motorola Tells Customer to “Buy Elsewhere” if They Want Custom ROMs

cmaag

Reaction score
you may be right (as usual). but, a few months ago, we were saying the same thing about the DX. and now, a 17 year old is on the verge of cracking it...

Well, someone CLAIMED to be on the verge of cracking it months ago. But it still hasn't happened. Not sure how some 17 year old is going to manage it without access to the 256-bit AES keys. Call me skeptical, but I don't see the X's bootloader EVER being fully cracked.

If there is a drive for these keys then they will be found just as they were on the ps3.... need it be a leak or the drive for someone to write the algorithm it will be done

forum8417

Reaction score
What a shame. Good doing business with you Motorola. They clearly dont give a crap about their customers.

kratos

Reaction score
I must be missing something here!

There have been a lot of comments stating that the locked bootloaders are not capable of flashing custom ROMs. However the DX (locked bootloader and all) has a beta with UD that installs just fine. Granted there are some functionality issues, but those are no different than the current issues with GB for the D1.

So, what am I missing. If a locked bootloader cannot flash a ROM, then how the heck is UD getting past that?

Kratos

Dan_08

Reaction score
Bootloader Feedback Policy | Facebook

Bootloader Feedback Policy

by Motorola on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 4:22pm

We apologize for the feedback we provided regarding our bootloader policy. The response does not reflect the views of Motorola.

We are working closely with our partners to offer a bootloader solution that will enable developers to use our devices as a development platform while still protecting our users' interests. More detailed information will follow as we get closer to availability.

That sounds a little more promising. I think Moto has an obligation to keep their development somewhat secure but at the same time allow those who truly know what hey are doing explore their creativity. Especially using Android software.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
People for get we are the minority. Motorola has to protect all their users interest and that includes making sure people dont mess up their device. I understand why they are protecting the bootloader and their hardware, it is in their best interest to do so. Motorola is not stupid, they do math very well...they just split because of the demand for their device. They know that d1 customers are coming up on their upgrade date and that they are competing with the iphone, samsung, htc, and lte for those people. They want to keep their fan base. So I the are gonna say what ever they need to say to make that happen. The locked bootloader is not that big of a deal to me as long as my device is still able to be rooted and not loaded down. I am willing to compromise on the bootloader if they clean up blur and remove preinstalled apps. Because the reality is that only a small number care about the bootloader being locked but we all are tired of our device lagging and apps that can not be removed.

mdenny84

Reaction score
I must be missing something here!

There have been a lot of comments stating that the locked bootloaders are not capable of flashing custom ROMs. However the DX (locked bootloader and all) has a beta with UD that installs just fine. Granted there are some functionality issues, but those are no different than the current issues with GB for the D1.

So, what am I missing. If a locked bootloader cannot flash a ROM, then how the heck is UD getting past that?

Kratos

A locked bootloader doesn't allow you to flash custom kernels. A ROM is still possible tho.

Fate0n3

Reaction score
Does anyone actually *believe* that pseudo-retraction by Motorola?

-Mike

Noo I don't at all. I think they are back pedaling to try and not cause a press issue for themselves. This def makes me hope HTC brings a dual core phone to Verizon sometime this year. I do not understand the thought process behind all of this with them. They are taking something that is complete open source that is suppose to allow users/developers to customize the device all the way and making it closed.... :confused:

Jeyman

Reaction score
Will move

Odds are I wont buy a moto device this round of upgrading. Hope in a few months sprint brings out a new phone thats better then the evo(not that its bad or anything, but with dual cores coming out I hope sprint gets some love)

My droid 1 will not be going anywhere, I plan to keep it around and flash new **** on it even after I turn off my data plan off. So long as the community here is backing it I will stick around in one form or another.

I have a funny feeling that even after GB the droid 1 will have a large backing. Its lasted this long, and it still gets tons of updates and even new roms more then a year after its release.

neimand

Reaction score
Does anyone actually *believe* that pseudo-retraction by Motorola?

-Mike

Nope, and I thought Steve Jobs was an arrogant, I guess there's a new king, goodbye moto, Droid and people like us why you're still round, the only reason my friends got droids? they saw what I did to mine.

Last edited by a moderator: