Motorola says buy elsewhere if you want custom roms. Ok hello HTC.

Mikejl

Reaction score
Yeah, I could live with a Samsung or an HTC for my next smartphone. I won't buy a phone I can't customize.

But damn that Bionic looks nice.

Mike

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am gonna add a poll to this topic just for fun

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well as jacked up a statement as that was, we have done pretty well with the locked down bootloader on the d2 and dx. If I had the opportunity I would probably still get the bionic.

tappin and a talkin

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Motorola thinks a lot works, including their camera lenses, blur, keyboards, locked bootloaders, etc. But in fact they do not. I absolutely hated Moto before because their phones were just bad, but they brought me back with the D1. They are about to lose me and many more again.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lol, this message was loud and clear when they released the X and the D2. I'm not in the market for a new phone but I understand their strategy. You have to remember the majority of Droid owners do not root.:eek::eek::eek:

Yep, that's right. People like my wife could care less about rooting and are quite happy with the phone as is. So if someone came out and just said it, that's not surprising.

What is unfortunate is that so many really good apps are being made for rooted phones and stock phones can't use them. Heck, you can't even get a screen shot unless you're rooted.

It will be interesting to see how that changes when Amazon takes control of the Market.

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I thought I just read a few days ago that the bionic was going to not be locked. I was excited for that phone now, not so much.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thought I just read a few days ago that the bionic was going to not be locked. I was excited for that phone now, not so much.

That is just a rumor. Nothing is official until Motorola says it, and judging by their last phones, id say that it will have a locked bootloader.

tgs3838

Reaction score
To me it doesnt really matter. Iv never really messed with Diff Roms and stuff. But i do like being able to Root so i can use some of those Apps.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know why people care, if you want to root, someone will find a way to root no matter what Moto does.

As for them treating the rooting community with some childish comments? Just uncalled for.

mrksbrd

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Twitter
mrksbrd
Planned on jumping the motoship anyway, companies like Moto bring on their own demise. Remember it takes the consumer to build the product, just as much as the company that puts out the product. So if Moto forgot that fast that they were on the brink of destruction pre Droid 1 then maybe they need to suffer that fate again.

Aram58

Reaction score
I don't know why people care, if you want to root, someone will find a way to root no matter what Moto does.

As for them treating the rooting community with some childish comments? Just uncalled for.

Not targeted at you in particular but many have said "somebody will crack the bootloader right away" when the x came out and people still say it today. Well the the generation of "droid does" is coming and the bootloader is still not cracked.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Since I never rooted my OG Droid I'm not that concerned as others. At this point, I'm still looking forward to the Bionic, but that may change as time goes on.

Heck, with all these bad vibes towards Moto, I might be able to waltz in the opening day and get one without being on a list or preorder.