Motorola Tells Customer to “Buy Elsewhere” if They Want Custom ROMs

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
with the "announcement" of the D3, DX2, and Inc2, plus Moto's retraction and indication that they would "continue to work with dev'rs", there is speculation (and i emphasize speculation) that the D3 might be unlocked, like the D1...

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Why doesn't everyone working on cracking the boot loader just get together and work on a solution for the Reimann Hypothesis. Then you win a million dollars and solve the problem of the locked bootloader. Double Win...

The answer is 7..
But the answer to the ultimate question is 42.
The problem is nobody knows the question yet.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Wow, I'm so done with moto. Their devices aren't even as smooth as other manufacturers! They have no room to be cocky.

Also, I commented in that youtube post (rfehr613), and the response I got was also less than welcoming.

This is all I need to finally switch, which I've wanted to do for some time now.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Not sure what you have on your droid2, but my droid2global running adw launcher ex is smooth as ****.

Have you actually gone to a VZW store and compared it against HTC and samsung? I have, and theres just no comparison. The motos aren't bad...but the HTC and samsung devices are simply undeniably smoother. I've tried all launchers out too. I found ADW to be the worst. I'm using GO launcher now, which is the smoothest I've ever used...however its got some quirks that need fixing. But no matter what, I'm leaving moto after this. Their attitude is unnecessary, and their vision conflicts with my own.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I have and I will admit the UI of samsung and htc is very well developed. I personally despise blur but I really do love Motorolas choice in hardware, design and build quality.

brando56894

Reaction score
If they dont wanna lose money on bricked phones getting returned just make the phone root friendly. Simply root...simply flash things...people would run less risk of bricking. Locking it doesn't prevent bricking....in increases the incidence of returned bricked phones. Their stance us counterintuitive

Sent from my Droid

Thats exactly what I was thinking, if they protect it and someone tries to hack it, it may break, especially if the people that are doing so have no idea what theyre doing.

I think you've hit the nail on the head. If a bricked phone is the concern, then make it where it's virtually impossible to brick but still allows custom firmware to be installed. They don't have to make it easy for us to customize, but just let it be possible to do without destroying the phone.

The more I thought about it their "solution" is the actual problem to this whole mess.

Why doesn't everyone working on cracking the boot loader just get together and work on a solution for the Reimann Hypothesis. Then you win a million dollars and solve the problem of the locked bootloader. Double Win...

I know youre not serious but even then I dont think it would be still be possible considering it would take the best super computers years to crack 256 bit AES.

Hmmmmmm...now the question remains..should I wait to buy a Motorola device other than the Bionic? I would be seriously bummed if I bought the Bionic and then a month or 2 later an unlocked Moto device was released. Uggh : (

Thats why I'm actually glad now that I have to wait until november to upgrade dancedroid

The answer is 7..
But the answer to the ultimate question is 42.
The problem is nobody knows the question yet.

hahahaha

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score

Because...

Can we stop with the Droid X bootloader already?

Never gonna happen:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Thats a good read. I agree... sucking up to motorola is probably the best bet before cracking a bootloader. But cracking the reimann hypothesis would be better. Just saying.:biggrin:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Because...

Can we stop with the Droid X bootloader already?

Never gonna happen:icon_ banana::icon_ banana:

Thats a good read. I agree... sucking up to motorola is probably the best bet before cracking a bootloader. But cracking the reimann hypothesis would be better. Just saying.:biggrin:

Haha yep, the reimann hypothesis definitely trumps any bootloader

bake3020

Reaction score
I guess they really upset an awful lot of people, huh. Wonder whats for
desert or what will they do for an encore.
Stay tuned to this Bat Station, this Bat Time to find out Robin.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
It just seems to me that, given the supposed challenge of supporting these phones with multiple updates (Google has to push an update, but first the mfr has to bless it, then VZW has to bless it before it gets pushed) it makes sense to utilize a 3rd party - and there is already an excellent and eager community in place.

Flashing a rom is relatively simple (at least on the D1). If you look at PC's, don't sell everyone short - a lot of people are using freeware programs and just look at how many use Chrome or Firefox. If the masses get pointed in this direction, the financial support will make the roms even better to the point where it will become indistinguishable from simply downloading an app that installs itself. And a lot of the tweaks are being automated and made quite simple, as well.

Of course, the mfrs want people to buy a new phone, and in that regard roms are a threat because it extends the life of the phone beyond even the latest Android update. And then you have the carriers who are worried about revenue streams evaporating when people bypass controls on tethering and the like.

The only factor in this game with any leverage to change that dynamic is Google. Android is free, and vs. other options out there that creates a lot of value for the mfrs.

The only way any of this will change is when the masses figure out some mfrs are terrible at pushing update and choose another phone as a result. For all the attention Samsung is getting, I'm not sure it's really visible in the MSM and so most of the masses aren't going to have any clue.

It's really starting to look like a market that is growing too fast for the mfrs and carriers to keep up with. Apple has been at this for years, and is GINORMOUS. They've had time to put the infrastructure in place to support and clearly the other mfrs and VZW are not there. And who know how much pressure VZW and the mfrs are really even feeling to beef-up that support infrastructure.

chaz.ring

Reaction score
LOL... motorola is turning into Apple... get ready for locked down, and more stringent terms of replacement.:clap:

jbdow

Reaction score
thanks for the insight kodiak, this is similar to the frag thread i saw a couple
days ago...
and btw, if anyone walks into a phone store and knows more than the people in there,
not all of those people are going to take it well when you prove it to them...:icon_eek:

r, john