It's official, Xoom bootloader is NOT encrypted

kaylward

Reaction score
From the Motorola Xoom support forum manager Matt.

Q: Does the XOOM have the eFuse or similar locking mechanism similar to the DroidX or is it more open like the original Droid.

A: The XOOM will have an unlockable/relockable bootloader that will enable developers to access hardware for development.

XDA has a good writeup on the difference between encrypted bootloaders and locked bootloaders. A locked bootloader, presumably can be cracked and hacked - an encrypted bootloader would mean you're S.O.L. for custom ROM's on the Xoom.

Some people had been waiting on that detail to make a final decision on the device...

Last edited:

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Im not sure Im understanding the whole unlockable/lockable bootloader. Is this going to be a Dev thing only, like Moto sells the key to Devs or is this going to be available to all of the hacking community. I guess we'll just have to wait and see..

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as I heard it was a Pure Google Device from day one -

bamfsig45

Reaction score
As far as I heard it was a Pure Google Device from day one -

Im taking that to mean like the OG Droid, completely hackable? Thats awesome and makes the price even more bearable.

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
This has made me a HELL of a lot more likely to buy one with the $799 price tag. Maybe there is some hope for Motorola after all!