Update On Motorola Locked Bootloaders

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
this would open the door for me to buy moto again.. but right now i am happy with my thunderbolt and have 0 intentions on switching .. sold the X to get rid of the locked bootloader.

Wnclivin

Reaction score
This DX is my 1st Moto device and will be my last if they continue to lock the BL. I've always owned HTC devices in the past and will happily go back as I never had a single problem with HTC.

Honestly the manufacturers should stick to their individual mission statements despite what the carriers have to say. Serve the end customer and not the carrier. If every manufacturer produces unlocked phones and doesn't negotiate with the carriers then what are the carriers going to do...just not ever buy any new phones? They are forced to use the available supply of devices and those devices should cater to customers' requests within reason.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
This story was published here yesterday...then pulled. Or maybe I'm psychic and knew about it a day in advance, but that's not likely.

So, what happened? Did Motorola send a "Cease and Desist"? What happened?!?!

-Matt

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
This story was published here yesterday...then pulled. Or maybe I'm psychic and knew about it a day in advance, but that's not likely.

So, what happened? Did Motorola send a "Cease and Desist"? What happened?!?!

-Matt
well theres a similiar thread on it but this is a recent update as of the 13th i believe

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OK, here is what I remember...yesterday, morningish, a story was posted at the top of the home page, that Motorola was unlocking bootloaders. It had the standard quote about "carriers have to approve yada yada."

Then late afternoon, it was pulled off the main page. I also didn't see it in News, and when I did a google search, I got "page doesn't exist."

I love a good conspiracy theory...and this one just makes me curious...

-Matt

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Who woulda thought all you had to do was ask? Lol...stranger things have happened, but I don't see verizon getting on board, though

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Who woulda thought all you had to do was ask? Lol...stranger things have happened, but I don't see verizon getting on board, though

Maybe they're starting to get wise to the idea that a strong and active development community can lift a fair amount of the burden of pumping out updates.

If you actually work with developers to make it easier (and more foolproof) to flash roms and tweak settings you almost wouldn't even need to support your software after release. You want some GB goodness without the wait? Plunk down a buck or two to d/l CM from the Market. Call me crazy, what do I know?

Yeah, I don't think VZW is going to go along without a fight, but it makes more sense for Moto or whomever to offer their custom UI's updates free, alongside the roms, to buyers who want it in the market (and perhaps owners of other devices who'd like to pay a few bucks for Blur or Sense).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
All that said, I'll believe it when I see it. I'd imagine more than a few people inside Moto are resistant to selling unlocked devices out of the box because they'd like you to at least trial Blur for a while.

PuneE

Reaction score
Wake Up Moto!!

pass it around, might do some good.
Even if you dont plan on writing anyone or taking any lengthly action for the cause, maybe someone you kno will, or lead to someone who will. You never kno, thhat someone might make a difference like IBProud.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

OK czerdrill its my turn to play devil's advocate. I will believe it when I see it. And Vzw has to approve it. Now I would not be surprised if that is the case after they release the tier data plan and Vzw decides to only allow future moto devices unlocked so users have to sign up for the tier data plan. This will combat their biggest concerns which is the use of free tethering apps.

sent from droidforums app

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
This is pretty good news, even if some devices end up having locked bootloaders because it still means that we were able to get the manufacture's attention and rattle their cages just enough to make them take action. Next on the chopping block for Motorola is MotoBlur :wink:. Wonder how many signatures on a petition to eliminate (or at least include the option to "turn off") MotoBlur it would take before Motorola makes a decision on that. While I understand that each mobile device manufacture wants to differentiate themselves from the rest by having their own special ingredient mixed with Android perhaps Motorola would be wiser to include the option for just plain old vanilla Android. At least with an unlocked bootloader devs will be able to release a custom ROM that doesn't include MotoBlur. I guess we'll wait and see.

matt2783

Reaction score
I still probably won't buy a Moto phone until it's unlocked out of the box. Them saying "We'll unlock it soon, we promise!" isn't good enough. I'll have to wait and see what it looks like in August when I have an upgrade.

yurdle

Reaction score
now all we need is for verizon to say NO to custom UI's like virgin mobile did lol

Android Overload: Virgin Mobile Says ‘No’ to Custom UIs, Dollar Deals on the Xperia Play, and More

To be honest I'd almost rather they didn't.. or if they did it'd be nice if each manufacturer had a place to download and install the custom UI, I know alot of people that like sense and even a few that like motoblur.. I don't mind gingerblur... but i do like me some vanilla android too :) so I don't know..
either way.. choice is something I want.. and right now we have little..

Mines_01

Reaction score
Two good things have come of this week. Now to see exactly how long it will take to push this through all the red tape they must to get it to the end users.