Update On Motorola Locked Bootloaders

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
IBPROUD.jpg

Yes, you just heard right folks. According to a Twitterer by the name of @IBProud, Motorola may in fact be doing the implausible. Mr. Proud, who started a petition 5 months ago called “Unlock teh Bootloader,” was able to receive around 10,000 signatures and prompted a response from Motorola basically saying, “We’ll look into it.”
Well, not much has been heard from Motorola since then and I’m sure you’ve heard all of the negative feedback from users on the subject. Not to mention Moto just continued pumping out device after device with encrypted bootloaders which lead many to believe the petition had simply been ignored.
Bootloaders has been a hot topic these days with Sony Ericsson being one of the first OEM’s to offer their phone’s unencrypted with HTC quickly following suit after a similar public outcry type situation on their Facebook page causing their CEO to finally cave in and announce that they too, will no longer be encrypting their bootloaders.

Motorola is firmly committed to delivering an unlockable/relockable bootloader solution. This will be applicable to all devices that are scheduled to receive updates in the second half of this year, indicating the possibility that existing, locked devices may receive updates to unlock them in Q3 or Q4 2011.

After a phone call with Christy Wyatt, Vice President of Mobile Software for Motorola Mobility, Irwin Proud received some shocking news about Motorola and their plans for the future of their bootloaders. According to Christy, Motorola has taken this bootloader policy very seriously and have in fact been listening to the developer community. Moto has been hard at work on preparing an update for their devices that will allow for an unlockable/relockable bootloader. They hope to push out the update sometime in Q3 or Q4 of this year.

So what’s been holding them back? Has Motorola locked up their bootloaders so tight that even they have had a hard time trying to crack them? Well not exactly. Once again, it’s those darn carriers. According to Motorola, carriers have to fully put these updates through their paces to ensure not only compatibility, but to make sure everything is up to their security standards as well. Bet you didn’t know so much was going on behind the scenes, right? All of this simply to allow a user to flash a custom ROM or develop on a device. Motorola also pointed out that the unlocking/relocking update on the Xoom was well received by carriers and they’re optimistic that each of their future devices that receive an update in the future, will be getting their bootloader unlocked in the process. Wow.
So that’s pretty much the gist of it. Straight from the guy who single-handedly got this bootloader ball rolling and straight from the horse’s mouth. I’ve always been one to skim through the comments on our site and to say to say the popular opinion on Motorola has been negative, would be an understatement. So with this breaking news, does this change your opinion on the company and can you perhaps see a Motorola device in your future? Can’t wait to read your feedback.

SOURCE: An update on Motorola’s locked boot-loader situation | Ausdroid

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, I had not planned on buying any further devices from Motorola. This will obviously open the door for them as far as I'm concerned.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Yes, I had not planned on buying any further devices from Motorola. This will obviously open the door for them as far as I'm concerned.
according to motorola, most devices receiving updates after Q2 will most likely recieve the unlocked bootloader update

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Sounds like a bad deal for my DX. Why not just release the codes and let the community take care of it.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
correction, i guess its all devices that were scheduled to recieve update by Q2 not after =)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
correction, i guess its all devices that were scheduled to recieve update by Q2 not after =)

so what is that - D2, DX, DX2(?)
well ur thinking of only verizon devices..there are mor updated devices on other networks lol...

What? My Verizon guy said they were the only U.S. carrier I could use... :p

I was just thinking about the devices that were supposed to "receive an update by Q2" - that can't be too many more - Atrix? Defy? XPRT? Citrus? Surely not the Backflip? :)

psychotic_penguin

Reaction score
I bought another DX just so I can experience CM7 on it....yeah it's that good. The idea of having it as unlocked as my Xoom or my former D1 is almost too much to be true....time will tell.

Last edited:

bplewis24

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see what is in this software update once it is pushed out. We'll probably have to wait a bit to see what the XDA devs have to say about it. Will they change around the partitions? Put in software checks to see if bootloaders are unlocked or not?

It's possible they'll do the same exact thing that they did with the Xoom software (which I don't know anything about). But considering they plan on doing this over the entire portfolio of their devices going forward, it's quite possible they've put a lot of thought into how this unlockable/relockable will be specifically implemented.

Brandon

markwebb

Reaction score
This sounds like good news. I will delay any future MOTO or smartphone purchase until I see evidence this is occurring. Until then, I will wait and see.

Overall,very hopeful!