Update On Motorola Locked Bootloaders

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Who woulda thought all you had to do was ask? Lol...stranger things have happened, but I don't see verizon getting on board, though

OK czerdrill its my turn to play devil's advocate. I will believe it when I see it. And Vzw has to approve it. Now I would not be surprised if that is the case after they release the tier data plan and Vzw decides to only allow future moto devices unlocked so users have to sign up for the tier data plan. This will combat their biggest concerns which is the use of free tethering apps.

sent from droidforums app

oh i agree with you. i'm surprised so many companies are making these statements, but it definitely is up to the carrier and not the OEMs whether the devices are approved for the network. I personally would be surprised if VZW allows something like this.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think they will allow it on their terms. They have to be sure that at any time you can restore it to stock. See though apple locks down their iPhone they ensure that it can be restored via iTunes. So I may jailbreak and do what I want and to restore it is as simple as plugging it into iTunes. Now people may say "we have that with motorola and HTC" to which I say no we don't. I use rsdlite and I can attest to it can be a doozie making sure you have the right drivers....and that is what snags many users. I think carriers going to want something in place where users can return to stock at any time... basically what apple has with iTunes. Because though they now have handled free tethering they don't want to give a green light to brick city.

Oowoon

Reaction score
Who woulda thought all you had to do was ask? Lol...stranger things have happened, but I don't see verizon getting on board, though

OK czerdrill its my turn to play devil's advocate. I will believe it when I see it. And Vzw has to approve it. Now I would not be surprised if that is the case after they release the tier data plan and Vzw decides to only allow future moto devices unlocked so users have to sign up for the tier data plan. This will combat their biggest concerns which is the use of free tethering apps.

oh i agree with you. i'm surprised so many companies are making these statements, but it definitely is up to the carrier and not the OEMs whether the devices are approved for the network. I personally would be surprised if VZW allows something like this.

Didn't Verizon say that devices with unlocked bootloaders could be activated on their network?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
They'll provide the unlockable/lockable bootloaders just in time for tiered data and THIS to become more common - which is fine by me, personally. Also this:

TeamAndIRC ✔ jcase
@P3Droid verizon has a new return notice outlining new guidelines, both minor damage and root can result in a large bill

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Didn't Verizon say that devices with unlocked bootloaders could be activated on their network?

yes they did lol
Here we go again...

this is actual proof that it will happen so if your thinkin its a rumor, its not =)

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
yes they did lol
this is actual proof that it will happen so if your thinkin its a rumor, its not =)

What are you basing that on
umm as if the phone call directly from motorola to this guys wasnt enough...

oh oops sorry, for some reason i posted in the wrong thread haha...thought this was a bionic release thread. but yeah i mean moto already announced the bootloader thing like 3 months ago...it's still up to the carriers whether they want to implement it...nothing new has been said in this thread.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
What are you basing that on

oh oops sorry, for some reason i posted in the wrong thread haha...thought this was a bionic release thread. but yeah i mean moto already announced the bootloader thing like 3 months ago...it's still up to the carriers whether they want to implement it...nothing new has been said in this thread.
the phone call is new..i think thats a very important update. also the announcement of what devices will get the update to an unlocked bootloader

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
This Thread: said:
According to me, everyone can take a trip to space! Except NASA won't let you because you're stupid, BUT I SAID IT'S OK!

None of this means a damn thing if Verizon shuts it down anyway. Get a phone call through to them and get an answer, and I'll be listening.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

the phone call is new..i think thats a very important update. also the announcement of what devices will get the update to an unlocked bootloader

i guess what i meant is that moto already said theyd be doing it a while back, so this is not really new, just confirmation of what they said. they specified phones sure, but i assumed the same when they made their initial announcement.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
This Thread: said:
According to me, everyone can take a trip to space! Except NASA won't let you because you're stupid, BUT I SAID IT'S OK!

None of this means a damn thing if Verizon shuts it down anyway. Get a phone call through to them and get an answer, and I'll be listening.

haha exactly. the announcements by HTC and Moto are just PR "we are listening to our customers" announcements. They really don't mean much if Verizon says no. Moto could say we want every new phone owner to receive $6000 in cash with purchase, if Verizon allows it. The qualifier "if Verizon allows it" removes the blame from Moto and makes VZW look like the villain.

DaWolf85

Reaction score
yes they did lol
What they said was "You can activate your HTC device with an unlocked bootloader on our network." While I agree that may have implications for them allowing Moto to unlock bootloaders, they have not said all unlocked-bootloader devices can be activated - they were only talking about HTC.