Motorola Eases Up on Locked Bootloader Stance, Plans to Unlock Portfolio in 2011?

xan

Reaction score
This is some GREAT news! We don't want anything locked

You say this now until we're all paying 14.99/MO for insurance because of the amount of phones being sent back because new users that have no idea what they're doing. I could see possible repercussions to completely unlocking bootloaders for all handsets.

all VRZ has to do to avoid that is allow sbf over the net. plug your phone in, visit [email protected] and theres almost no need to send back anything.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

You say this now until we're all paying 14.99/MO for insurance because of the amount of phones being sent back because new users that have no idea what they're doing. I could see possible repercussions to completely unlocking bootloaders for all handsets.

all VRZ has to do to avoid that is allow sbf over the net. plug your phone in, visit [email protected] and theres almost no need to send back anything.

That requires people to do homework before. You wouldn't believe how many times I've seen people asking for help installing something that has instructions in the release thread or something similar.....

Sent from my Liberated D2G

fry-lock

Reaction score

Sigh, this would not be an issue if the phones came with root. I've said it a thousand times, android shipping without root is like windows shipping without an administrator account.

As for the tethering argument, it's 100% horse ****. Broadband companies tried to do the exact same thing when people hooked up routers to bypass the ridiculous fee they were charged to add a second computer to your internet connection.

This is exactly why the AT&T t-mobile merger needs to be denied. Without any competition, they charge whatever the hell they want to allow you to tether, because you have no where else to go. Duopolies FTL.

OP
Preach2k

Preach2k

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hometown Brooklyn, NY Now Fuquay Varina, NC
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel XL/Galaxy Note 8
Twitter
DroidNCState
In my opinion. Allow people to root their phones. But put out there that as part of the Clause is that insurance will not cover or any provider is not responsible and will not be excepting back any phone that is bricked because of trying to root the phone. The owner is responsible for it. Then insurance prices will not go up. Like what was said it is your phone you should be able to do with it what you want to. So if you brick it it is your phone to use as a door stop Not Verizon's to replace it. You cant have your cake and eat it too. So if they did this then you should make sure you know what you are doing before trying to root...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
In my opinion. Allow people to root their phones. But put out there that as part of the Clause is that insurance will not cover or any provider is not responsible and will not be excepting back any phone that is bricked because of trying to root the phone. The owner is responsible for it. Then insurance prices will not go up. Like what was said it is your phone you should be able to do with it what you want to. So if you brick it it is your phone to use as a door stop Not Verizon's to replace it. You cant have your cake and eat it too. So if they did this then you should make sure you know what you are doing before trying to root...

Pretty sure that's how it is now...

They can't stop you from rooting your phone nor will they try. They do void your warranty though. So where's the problem? The morons who brick their phone and then post "OMGGGGG I NEED TO UNROOT TO COMMIT INSURANCE FRAUD!" and then everyone providing forty different ways to do just that.

Do you really believe that if vzw "allows" it, that the android community is going to suddenly become responsible and mature?

And as mentioned before, if you're talking about verizon somehow keeping a list of those who root, that's just more headache for them because the same morons will call vzw and whine for a new phone if they brick it and post threads like "I AGREED TO THIS BUT I'M ENTITLED TO A NEW SUBSIDIZED PHONE! SCREW VERIZON!!" and there'll be ppl agreeing with that too...

sb1831

Reaction score

Sigh, this would not be an issue if the phones came with root. I've said it a thousand times, android shipping without root is like windows shipping without an administrator account.

As for the tethering argument, it's 100% horse ****. Broadband companies tried to do the exact same thing when people hooked up routers to bypass the ridiculous fee they were charged to add a second computer to your internet connection.

This is exactly why the AT&T t-mobile merger needs to be denied. Without any competition, they charge whatever the hell they want to allow you to tether, because you have no where else to go. Duopolies FTL.

If phones came with root we would DEFINITELY be paying 14.99/mo for insurance. Read the threads on here "oops I soft bricked my droid better do an insurance claim". Yes let's give everyone the ability to access files they have no need to for the most part, and greater potential to screw up their phones and once again the responsible users will get punished with the 14.99/mo (for example) insurance just as they'll start punishing data users because of the bad eggs that would rather Violate their TOS than pay an extra 20$ a month.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
This would work:

Your contract ends your left with a clean ESN device (or you purchase one new). You call your provider, press buttons until you get a real person, tell the agent your calling to gain the bootloader unlock code for your device, the agent verifies your ESN is clean and explains to you upon receiving the code and entering it into your device you void any existing warranty you may have on the device and the ESN goes into the (Do Not Warranty) database, you agree and they explain the code must be mailed for legal reasons, you agree and in a few days you receive the unlock code for your device.

Enter the code voiding any current/future warranty, and now the device is ready to receive developer love. If it breaks, explodes, impregnates your dog...your problem. Win for us, win for the suits.

BGKris

Reaction score
This would work:

Your contract ends your left with a clean ESN device (or you purchase one new). You call your provider, press buttons until you get a real person, tell the agent your calling to gain the bootloader unlock code for your device, the agent verifies your ESN is clean and explains to you upon receiving the code and entering it into your device you void any existing warranty you may have on the device and the ESN goes into the (Do Not Warranty) database, you agree and they explain the code must be mailed for legal reasons, you agree and in a few days you receive the unlock code for your device.

Enter the code voiding any current/future warranty, and now the device is ready to receive developer love. If it breaks, explodes, impregnates your dog...your problem. Win for us, win for the suits.

That's a great idea, but that will never happen. :icon_evil:

carlz28

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
This would work:

I've been saying something similar for quite some time. Every device is traceable, theres nothing to argue.

How could this not be a win -win situation?

I guess I need a law degree to understand it all.
SMH.