I Can't Believe I Rooted My Droid

Rocky

Reaction score
I'll have to Google the word "rooting" since I wonder what it means or what it does. Sounds interesting and agressive though (reminds me of Root Canal Therapy).

I know I'm so prehistoric.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am sorry, am i dumb? what is everyone spending 5 dollars on?

Apparently there an app on the market developed by the folks at sholes that practically does most of the stuff for you.

Welcome to the rooting club Hookbill, I rooted mine after the whole 2.1 rumor update thing was wrong lol. I didn't use that particular app but I did do it manually via Big Lou's Tutorials (Guides | Root Your Droid) took me under an hour, spent the next six hours playing around with the darn thing!!

Diordna

Reaction score

Apparently there an app on the market developed by the folks at sholes that practically does most of the stuff for you.

Welcome to the rooting club Hookbill, I rooted mine after the whole 2.1 rumor update thing was wrong lol. I didn't use that particular app but I did do it manually via Big Lou's Tutorials (Guides | Root Your Droid) took me under an hour, spent the next six hours playing around with the darn thing!!

Do you like it a lot better??
I'm still wondering if if I should

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm going back and forth now trying to find the right browser. The 2.1 was very smooth without lag but typing on line sucked. I lost a little speed on the browser but its worth it to type faster. I also ran my battery out to shutdown because I've been playing with it so much.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't know about "overclocking" either.

When you are logged into a system as root (the root user) you have admin rights...full access. Out of the box you do not have full access to do whatever you want with your phone. The OTA (over the air) update we got opened the door for some to figure out how to gain access to "root". With that accomplished they could move forward and modify the phone. The CPU runs at 600mhz normally and Motorola slowed it down (underclocked) to 550mhz. This was most likely done to save battery power. With root access on your phone it is possible to install software, replace the kernel, replace the operating system and enhance what we have already. There are folks running their CPU twice as fast as it comes out of the box. There are people who now can take their laptop to a remote location with no wifi or network access and have it connect to the internet (tether) through their phone and the cell towers. Custom themes, new apps, faster response times.

At the same time, such activities can lead to an entire day posting questions every 30 seconds in a forum if you don't follow directions or read up on what to expect before hand. Even though this 5 dollar app removes some of the fear factor it isn't 100 percent plug-n-play. It also voids your phone's warranty....but nobody's wrecked their phone either.

Read this: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-app-roots-ocs-multi-touches-tethers-5-a.html
and this thread http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...-sholesmod-2-0-1-baegel-updated-2-4-10-a.html and even if you decide not to root yet you'll be enlightened.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love it! Let's just say right now the 2.1 update is in the very back of my mind.

Do you like it a lot better??
I'm still wondering if if I should

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
:woot:
Welcome to the club Hook. Now get Bugless Beast on that thing and stop screwing around:icon_ banana::icon_ devil:

You probably found it already but if not:
AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beast V0.7.4 (2/3/10)

I recommend the update.zip method because it will keep all your settings and info. Working great for me (at 800Mhz).

Seriously, is there a way to use this app to install the BB rom? Because the only reason I was able to get my phone's rom installed was this app. I "rooted"before but had to return to stock because I ran into huge problems using DRH and terminal emulator.

I just got done doing this. Use the app, go thru all of the settings to set up sholes (which was very buggy and laggy for me). Then, using the site you posted, mount your SD card, and remove the current "update.zip" file that is on the root menu of the SD card. Download the new one from that site, and put it where you just removed the first one from.

Power off the droid, and use the steps from before to get to recovery mode.
Choose Install > "Allow update.zip installation", then choose "/sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)"

It will install. if it doesn't reboot for you when it is done (i think it did), reboot it. You are all set.

did it but how i know im running bugless beast

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
didnt work still have sholes

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
hey i might have figured out what i did though i had an unzip file there in my sd card and that was dated the 3rd of feb.....is the sdcard for sholes the one open with all the files there.

crspang

Reaction score
If you follow the steps in bugless for noobs in the hacks section you'll have a backup to revert to if you don't like it.

It took me about 2 hrs to do it at first, but the second time only about 20 minutes. I just did my wife's Droid in about 15 minutes this evening, and that includes getting the wifi tethering up and running.

wil318466

Reaction score
I don't know how I got there. As of yesterday I wasn't even interested. But that darn clocking thing kept getting in my head. A faster Droid? Why? Wasn't I happy with my current speed?

I was. So why did I do it?

I got an im from one of my buddies on the Droid Forum News Team and he told me he rooted. And he said he did it for 5.00 and it took him a half an hour. Shoot, I'll spend 5 bucks for that!

So next thing you know there I am looking in the Droid Forum, finding out that it's as simple as going to the Market! It's in the Marke? Here's my money.

I could go into a long thread here and describe my trials and tribulations. Suffice to say it took me longer then 30 minutes and I did need help and got it from forum members. Matter of fact I was offered more help then I could use. And then I overclocked. Oh that's in the market too.

Now I'm looking at things I had no interest in before. Now I'm wondering about this bugless beast thing. I have no idea what it does but I'll probably find out and try it out. So why did I do it?

Because deep down inside it's just too much fun not to mess around with the Droid. It's just sitting there, practically begging you to mess with it. Even when I screwed up, and I did, I was still having fun.

Special thanks to Martin030908 for helping me out and to everybody else that offered.

Now I have to go back to investigating this thing...:icon_ banana:

Best thing I've done to the phone since I bought it.

Now, try smoked glass. Forget Bugless Beast and Sholes.

-Wil

Nedaroth

Reaction score
:woot:
Welcome to the club Hook. Now get Bugless Beast on that thing and stop screwing around:icon_ banana::icon_ devil:

You probably found it already but if not:
AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beast V0.7.4 (2/3/10)

I recommend the update.zip method because it will keep all your settings and info. Working great for me (at 800Mhz).

Seriously, is there a way to use this app to install the BB rom? Because the only reason I was able to get my phone's rom installed was this app. I "rooted"before but had to return to stock because I ran into huge problems using DRH and terminal emulator.

I just got done doing this. Use the app, go thru all of the settings to set up sholes (which was very buggy and laggy for me). Then, using the site you posted, mount your SD card, and remove the current "update.zip" file that is on the root menu of the SD card. Download the new one from that site, and put it where you just removed the first one from.

Power off the droid, and use the steps from before to get to recovery mode.
Choose Install > "Allow update.zip installation", then choose "/sdcard/update.zip (deprecated)"

It will install. if it doesn't reboot for you when it is done (i think it did), reboot it. You are all set.

Sorry you had trouble with DRH , I used the pro version of DRH and it was an excellent experence for me. I used the "root your droid guide" a fool proof guide for the root and then DRH pro for the flash, DRH does it all for you.